LCVG

Half-Life 2 Discussion

Chris F

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some low crap quality video of one of the demos they're showing at E3.... and goddamit this game has made my jaw drop to the ground for a 2nd straight year... it just looks damn impressive and the Gravity gun looks like it'll be a heck of a lot of fun to experiment with. There will be hell to pay if it makes an appearance next year also.

Counterstrike was shown at this demo also, which looked alright. It was just a redone Aztec with some gun/hand models that looked like they needed more work. I'm not a big CS fan at all though so, I'm kinda indifferent about it... now if they come out with a redone or, better yet new DOD, I'm all over it.

Currently getting some better quality video with the 2nd demo as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like HL2 will begin "pre-loading" via Steam on Monday. It was supposed to start tonight, but they're still doing Counter-Strike: Source stuff, so they're holding off until Monday now.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/33134

They'll be pre-loading items that will not be changing before the realese date. Textures, sounds, etc.

I really can't seem to wrap my head around Steam. I hate to sound like a total moron but I just don't get it.

What is "pre-loading"? Does this mean they're allowing users to download parts of HL2 via Steam? If so, what possible good is this? What am I going to do with a floor texture? -and why would anyone want to download these elements when it's all going to be on the CD/DVD anyway?

What is "pre-loading"? Does this mean they're allowing users to download parts of HL2 via Steam? If so, what possible good is this? What am I going to do with a floor texture? -and why would anyone want to download these elements when it's all going to be on the CD/DVD anyway?

Basically for those who don't want to buy the CD in-store, Steam will let you download and play the full game. Pre-loading transfers files to your PC, so you have less to download when HL2 goes live.

It's also possible that you'll be able to play HL2 before the game is actually in stores.

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Aug 19 2004, 11:18 PM

Basically for those who don't want to buy the CD in-store, Steam will let you download and play the full game. Pre-loading transfers files to your PC, so you have less to download when HL2 goes live.

It's also possible that you'll be able to play HL2 before the game is actually in stores.

That sounds fantastic!! I hate having to call the store 3 times a day near release and having to deal with the hassle, the disappointment if it's not in, etc. Our stores are always slower than American outlets, too, which makes it even more painful when everyone is talking about it on here. I would love if alot of games started doing this.

I saw the projected minimum specs for HL2 a couple weeks ago, it was about half of what D3 required. So yes, they are lighter. From memory, I think it was:

1 GHz CPU

256 MB RAM

1-2 GB HDD space

Vid card ? (guessing last generation)

As always, I'm sure it plays a heck of a lot better if you double all these stats.

That's good news Cold, as your system spec and mine are like kissing cousins. Swap the 4200 for an AIW 9600 and you'd have my machine (and the resolutions you play at are identical to those I prefer.)

Can they just release the game already? I'm dying out here watching those videos and screenshots.

Well, an article I read recently had Gabe Newell himself saying that the game engine interrogates your system capabilities and scales itself to what you can play.

This info was in response to someone asking about how could the Xbox possibly play this game well. He said it was running fine on the system and that's when he mentioned the scalability of HL2's code.

Sounds good! I'm hoping my lowly Inspiron 8200 with a 1.8ghz, 640mb ram and a Radeon 9000, will be able to handle it. I have no problem running at 640/480, if I can get 30fps.

Well, an article I read recently had Gabe Newell himself saying that the game engine interrogates your system capabilities and scales itself to what you can play.

I think this is the current ever-claim by the devs that just never quite works the way it says. Doom 3 made the same claims, I had to fully tweak that game for an hour after it "auto-detected" my system to get it running at optimum resolution/framerates.

I'm not saying HL2 won't do a decent auto-detection, but you're probably going to want to tweak the heck out of it anyway (like Doom 3).

Originally posted by Snakefish@Aug 23 2004, 04:47 PM

I had to fully tweak that game for an hour after it "auto-detected" my system to get it running at optimum resolution/framerates.

Thats because different people put different emphasis on different aspects of performance.

Whether or not you really insist on the specular lighting, what your monitor's native resolution is, how much you hate jaggies and what framerate is 'acceptable' will all vary, so the defaults are always going to be a 'best guess'. Personally, I'm pretty happy with what Doom 3 chose for me.