LCVG

Mario Tennis

Graeme

Do you consider Mario Golf "gimmicky"? If so, yes.

The Mario sports games aren't straight up sports (I can't believe I just said "straight up"). They add arcade-ish elements and power-ups or techniques that range from odd to very clever.

I don't mind gimmicks as long as they add fun to the game. I mean all sports games use gimmicks of one kind or another, whether it's automatically making your player lunge in the correct direction to hit the ball, or ubiquitous 'power meters' in various games, they are all ways of making the control of a virtual player possible with just a few buttons and a stick.

That's not to say that all such gimmicks are the same, some are aimed at recreating the game as closely as possible, but I see no harm in adding some things that go beyond simulation to adding creative elements...again as long as they are fun, which is always subjective.

I've seen this reported on other sites too, but fail to see a direct reference to it being online. What it says about multiplayer is this:

With a fiendishly challenging single player option and deliriously entertaining multiplayer matches that can cater for up to four players

That's most definitely not saying it's online.

Don't worry, Joey, even I didn't believe the topic when I saw the title, the contents had nothing to do with it :green:

I don't expect to see a Nintendo game with non-jury rigged online play until next-gen, don't know about the rest of you :).