LCVG

RSS apps

Camp

I tried to use RSS feeds on my Palm about 6 months ago or so, and I was disappointed, mostly they seemed to be just news headlines with no story.

I even posted here asking about it, but nobody seemed to know anything, so I went with AvantGo (for Palm OS) and it suited my needs.

Maybe RSS is just getting going and I was trying it too early, or maybe I was looking for the wrong thing.

I use iSilo (with iSiloX) for my Palm but I guess that's more offline browsing than RSS. I manually set updates to occur on my schedule as opposed to an RSS client alerting me automatically when content updates occur.

BTW, to the point of your previous thread, I've used AvantGo and it's nice but iSilo is far more flexible. It's also high-res+ and far better for viewing standard websites.

I tried to use RSS feeds on my Palm about 6 months ago or so, and I was disappointed, mostly they seemed to be just news headlines with no story.

Well, that's kind of the point. The idea of RSS, for me, is to "push" headlines & new stories to you without requiring you to go to every website & check for an update.

I use FeedReader, it's free, a little buggy at times, but works. I've got a bunch of bookmarks for the likes of Slashdot, the BBC, Eurogamer, Penny Arcade & a bunch of blogs I care about such as GameMatters, Boing Boing, etc. Whenever they post a new story, FeedReader gets me the headline and, depending on the site, a summary. I can see whether I care about the story straightaway.

Beats going to a bunch of blogs that are updated once in a bluemoon to see if there's something new.

I have the RSS plugin for Trillian Pro and tried it out for a while. I stopped using it because I didn't care about seeing headlines and then grabbing the content -- I know which sites have content I want and visit them on a sufficiently regular basis.

There are quite a lot of RSS feeds out there, from The Gadgeteer to sites in the ZD Net family (including Gamespot and C|Net). I just didn't need them. I use AvantGo on my PDA and it is quite enough.

-j

Well, that's kind of the point. The idea of RSS, for me, is to "push" headlines & new stories to you without requiring you to go to every website & check for an update.

Yeah, I think I misunderstood what it was. I just saw all these websites that had URLs to the RSS feed of their site and I assumed it was a more text oriented version of the site's contents, not just the top-line info.