LCVG

Ghost Recon 2

http://media.ubi.com/emea/ghostrecon2/vide...-E3-footage.wmv

This is a 38mb download of a 12 min video. It shows a complete mission from start to finish.

A couple observations:

- Third person view isn't as bad as I expected

- GR w/medics???

- Apparently they have an invincibility cheat turned on

for purposes of the demo, because this guy should have

died several times.

I don't know, man. I'm not really into the 3rd person view in this game.

Looks like I'll be bailing on GR2 and just sticking with RS3: Black Arrow. Just my opinion. 1st person view matters to me, in these tactical shooters. Although, Full Spectrum Warrior is a must buy but, technically, you're still in 1st person. You're just simply looking out of the eyes of the squad leader, while watching over your team.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@May 16 2004, 09:55 AM

I hope the option is there to switch off the third-person view's availability for multiplayer.

-j

Yes you can.

By default, the game is played in an over-the-shoulder view and you'll be able to aim down the barrel for long-range shots. You have the option to switch to a first-person view (and even enforce it in multiplayer) but if you go to first-person, you'll be missing out on some of the new effects. Red Storm chose the view because it allows for a lot more character. You can see your Ghost react to nearby explosions or give hand signals. This, along with a bit of a camera shake when bombs go off, should definitely increase the feeling of war.

Thanks for the clip, Jason. I'm looking forward to this more so then R6:BA. Black Arrow looks to be the Island Thunder equivelant for Rainbow Six 3. While more R6 is always a good thing, I really like what I'm seeing with GR2. It looks like they adopted some of the RB6 menus to allow the Ghosts to carry more weapons. I'm curious to see if they added voice recognition for single player.

Reducing the teams from two three man squads to a single four man squad though may mean we only get a four man version of co-op.

That looks really, REALLY good. Ubi & the Tom Clancy series of games really can do no wrong on Xbox I think.

I like the idea of having both 1st and 3rd person perspectives, plus the engine looks amazing, compared to GR & GR:IT.

Will there be more Polish troops in this one?

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@May 16 2004, 07:25 AM

I think 3rd person could make it too easy to peek around corners and check out areas.

Maybe I didn't explain very well, but when I watch that video, it sure looks to me like the camera is acting in a first-person view mode, except for the fact that your player is visible in front of you. If you notice, the camera is always directly behind the player and looks wherever he looks. It doesn't appear to allow you to swing the camera around to other perspectives. Therefore, you wouldn't be able to see around corners or other obstructions. I guess, since the camera is slightly higher than eye-level, you might have a slight advantage when hiding behind something and being able to see over it, but based on that video, it doesn't appear to allow any other peeking.

If you can see your character, then it isn't first-person. The camera might be a fixed camera in 3rd person like you describe, but I still prefer a proper first-person view.

That doesn't mean that I won't try 3rd person and give it a shot, but the increased field of view will probably change the game in a way I'm not interested in.

-j

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait for this game. Been playing a lot of Ghost Recon Island Thunder. Looking forward to different weapons, like the H&K XM8 a prototype weapon being developed right now, which you can see the player using in the video. Better graphics and with all the aircraft flying overhead I'm sure that there will be CAS (Close Air Support) for you to call in. I also like the abiblity to switch weapons like R63, or give commands to your team. I just hope the game doesn't become to much like R63 with all the lean glitching and crap like that. Just pure straight up killing where moving quietly without being seen and then unleashing hell on the enemy from behind is a regular occurance.

The over-the-shoulder view isn't too bad, although I will probably opt for the first person perspective :)

I like the way he shot the guy and his lifeless body rolled down the rocks :tu: That was nice.

Sweet looking game. Looks like I'll be adding this one to my Clancy collection.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Somebody asked about voice commands in single player, and yes, I've read that they'll be in there, ala Rainbow Six. It's mentioned in the OXM Holday Preview Guide.

Also, I've seen a few screeshots that demonstrate why they wanted to switch to the over-the-shoulder cam. First, is the weapon, which allows you to stay covered and still fire around corners while using a camera. XM8, I believe it's called. There's also the new (X)M18 in the game, which is the military's M16 replacement. (That's from XBN).

But the over-the-shoulder cam will come into play when it come to hiding behind objects, like trees, for example. That's pretty hard to do in first person, while the new camera will make it pretty easy to duck behind a tree and shoot out at an angle.

There's also the new prone moves that you see in the video, like being on your stomach and rolling left ot right to switch positions. I wonder how that'll look in first-person mode.

It actually looks like when you zoom in you come out of third person (over the shoulder view). I played a lot of Ghost Recon while people were still playing it, and zooming is a very common thing especially when you are hiding in the prone. Hence you would not be able to see over a log which I don't think you can do anyways, while zoomed in because it takes you to first person view like you are actually looking through the weapon optic. And the maps are so huge shooting without zooming is almost unheard of unless you are very close to your target.

• 1 month later...