LCVG

I am a soon-to-be Xbox Noob. Need massive help.

Dimness

With the new low price point of 150 dollars, I will finally be joining the rank of Xbox system owners and will effectively own all three consoles (technically, my brother has the PS2).

I have the following concerns.

1. I'll be getting Xbox Live. How easy is it to setup and get going?

2. I'll be getting a wireless card (I have a router on my computer). Are there any known problems with them? Do I have to foward a crap load of ports? etc. etc.

3. What's hip in the XBox world right now. :green:

1. Getting on Live should be pretty straight forward. If you have DSL, make sure you set up your router with all the PPPoE stuff. Your Xbox should be good-to-go with autodetect settings then. If you have any problems, make sure your router doesn't need upgraded firmware (happened to me at a friend's) and check your ISP's tech support page to see if they have any special instructions.

Finally, you will probably find better gameplay with the locals here at LCVG than in gen pop. If you send invites out, use the voice feature to tell the invitee who you are. Some people, and I'm one of them, tend to reject invites if the sender's identity is unclear. You can add people manually at the dashboard (start the Xbox without a disc in the drive). You will probably also have some dashboard updates to download.

2. I can't comment on wireless, but if you intend to go wireless with your Xbox you will need a wireless bridge for the Xbox.

3. Current flavors on Live are Rallisport Challenge 2, Rainbow Six 3 (ever since it came out) and Splinter Cell 2. TOCA seems to have a following here as well. Another fun and inexpensive game is Tetris Online (if you like Tetris).

-j

1) Getting XBL up and running is a piece of cake. No problems here.

2) My experience with the wireless XBL setup was less than stellar. I kept getting disconnected from games and my connection seemed very inconsistant. I switched back to using a ethernet cable and now XBL is rock solid. Most people will tell you that wireless networking is not a good idea for online gaming and I found that to be true. IF you are just file sharing its fine though.

3)My current XBL favorites are:

TOCA: Race Driver 2

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomarrow

Links 2004

What kind of games are you into? There is something for everybody.

Make sure that you get Halo. Awesome game in its own right, & you can get ready for Halo 2. Rainbow Six 3 would also be a good choice - you can learn the ropes so that when RS3:Black Arrow comes out in August,you'll be ready to go.

If you do some looking,you can get a few Xbox games really cheap. Best of luck!

Originally posted by CaptDS9E@May 16 2004, 05:22 PM

I posted in the deals thread (gernal discussion forum) that eb stores are having a used games deal at the moment. Excellent way to start your collection

Great point, Joey, especially because I believe someone (Circuit City?) is selling RS3 for $30. KOTOR is a must-have for anyone with a slight interest in RPG's, IMO.

-j

Why follow up one FPS with another? If you are planning on getting Live at some point, why not get a game that will let you jump online when you do? There are many excellent racing games (PGR2, RSC2, ToCA, CMR4, Carve, MTX:Mototrax) and sports games (Top Spin, Links, ESPN Football, ESPN Baseball). MechAssault and Crimson Skies are cheap, and one will probably come with your Live kit. If you want another FPS, I'd go with Rainbow Six 3 or Ghost Recon:Island Thunder. Splinter Cell:Pandora Tomorrow is also very challenging.

Originally posted by adamsappel@May 20 2004, 08:47 AM

There are many excellent racing games (PGR2, RSC2, ToCA, CMR4, Carve, MTX:Mototrax)

For completeness' sake, CMR04 doesn't support racing actual humans over Xbox Live (just scoreboards in a really wonky and nonintegrated way), the rest do.

Thanks for the XBox suggestions. Yes, I do plan on getting other games as well, most notably NCAA Football and trying out Live with that. I also plan on getting the new ESPN Football when it comes out in its newest incarnation. I'll check out the racing games and see what I like.