LCVG

Engagement Ring Advice

JTello

The title says it all! I need help.

I'd like to hear about your experiences and any advice you have about puchasing an engagement ring. And if you can include how much you paid for what type diamond ring you got it would be a great help. Basically I'm trying to get a real estimate of what I should pay for the ring. I've already got the basics down about color, cut, clarity,.... yadda, yadda, yadda.

Another reason LCVG is so great,... we've got such a good community of friends to help us not screw up our engagement purchase! :tu:

Thnx for your advice in advance!

(P.S., has anyone used BlueNile.com before?)

Guest Bryan

I picked out an oval cut (around .92 kt) and paid $3,000 for the engagement ring. We picked out very simple bands for the wedding, but I had a custom band crafted with white gold, sapphires and diamonds that nested around the engagement diamond. Suzannah was really floored.

**wedding band was made by the same folks who put the engagement ring together.

Here's and interesting thread/pollon the topic. I'd create a similar poll but it's not very helpful in that it doesn't take into account the various types of rings and type diamonds, it just lumps them all together.

"Hey Earl, I paid $2 fer a 4 carot diamond, ewww boy, I'z gotz me a halacious deal!"

;)

Wow...I just went through this.

Personally, I have a friend whose father custom makes jewelry. For the setting, I went with white gold (neither I or my fiance like yellow gold much, and platinum is VERY expensive). He basically said find any style that you like and I will make it for you, so I looked through a few catalogs and found one. Total cost for setting, two bands (engagement + wedding) was $300.

The diamond choice was fairly easy. I had discussed with my friend and his dad about the different cuts of diamond, and settled on a round "Tchaikovsky" (sp?) or ideal cut stone. These are basically cut to the mathmatical specifications that are ideal for reflecting light. These stones cost a little more, but the thing is they sparkle like nothing else and actually give the impression of being bigger than they are, especially when mounted properly. Instead of getting a larger, not-as-quality stone, I got a 0.52 carat very high quality stone. Trust me, the sparkle and brilliance is much more impressive than having a larger stone. I had it mounted in a 4-prong setting to display it best...this is risky with larger stones (less prongs = more likely to fall out), but not so much with a diamond of this size. Total cost for the stone was $1800.

I didn't bother with any secondary stones or other fluff, I wanted to keep it simple and elegant. So I got out for about $2100, which was slightly more than I wanted to spend, but I am very pleased with the results. The white gold and diamond go well together, it is a very nice package. Feel free to ask any questions, I will do my best to help.

I got lucky, my mother got a new engagement ring for her 25th, and passed the original down to me. :lol:

I'm sure you've heard the 2 months salary deal :shock: IMO that's a bunch of propaganda put out by debeers. :roll: She'll say yes wether it's a 2kt rock or a piece of glass.

We originally had 4 prongs but had it changed to 6 after the diamond fell out. :oops:

btw Congrats and good luck!

I got lucky, my mother got a new engagement ring for her 25th, and passed the original down to me.

Very nice. I did check around with our families, but nobody really had any good heirloom stuff. We had one ring from her grandmother, but the diamonds were just horrible (big chunk out of the side of the main diamond :shock: ).

I'm sure you've heard the 2 months salary deal IMO that's a bunch of propaganda put out by debeers.

Amen to that. Two months salary last year would have been far too excessive for a ring, and this year would have been almost $0 since I run a small business and we have had quite a dry spell this year. I tried to find a happy medium. :)

We originally had 4 prongs but had it changed to 6 after the diamond fell out.

I also opted for six prongs to hold the stone. Seemed to me that if there are four and one fails, the stone is gone.

Like I said, it is heavily dependent on the size of the stone. Looking at my ring, I could see it being alright if one prong failed, but for a larger stone this would not hold true!

Originally posted by secretvampire@May 17 2004, 02:58 PM

A friend of my parents made the ring for me, it actually appraised at over $5000.

How long ago did you buy it? I know that platinum has increased in value a great deal over the past few years. Which does suck for those of us who are on the tail end of the curve. ;)

I bought it 2 years ago.

Joel- I would invest in a pair of really good sneakers and run now as fast as you can far far away to somewhere she cant find you. Just kiddin brotha. I have no advice, just wanted to see congrats on your impending engagement. My wife and I had talked about it up front and she opted for us to go all out on the honeymoon accomodations instead of an elaborate ring.

(P.S., has anyone used BlueNile.com before?)

Just my $0.02:

Don't buy something as important as an engagement ring on the Internet. Nothing says "convenience shopping" like an Internet purchase. Use BlueNile for birthdays and Christmas but not for a symbol intended to last a lifetime.

While I'm at it don't go to a mall store either. Locate a locally owned jeweler and forge a relationship with him. When my wedding band lost a diamond four years into my marraige, I returned to my jeweler fully expecting a decent bill. He remembered me by name and replaced the diamond for free.

Congratulations! I say put more money towards something she's going to see every day, and is your public declaration of her imagined worth (at least to other women), rather than a better vacation. You're going to take a lot of trips together. Then again, you're going to be buying a lot of jewelry. Are you getting her input, or is this a surprise proposal? She has to wear it, I'd find out what she wants in an engagement ring. There's nothing wrong with using bluenile.com (not that I have), it seems to me to be just another place to buy the stone for less. Or as is usually the case, spend the same and get a bigger stone. My wife has an estate ring, three round-cut diamonds in a platinum filagree setting.

We spent (yes, we - I bought her rings, and she bought mine) about ?500 on the engagement ring, ?250 on her wedding ring, and ?300 on mine. Gorgeous things, from the designer Malcolm Betts - we found them in the Crafts Council shop at the V&A. He's since opened his own shop, which is good to see - I love his stuff generally, though I think its a touch more expensive these days.

Before handing over the credit card, we went up the road to Harrods, looked at the engagement rings costing 5-10 times that much, and decided we didn't like them anyway near as much. It was a real day of going round shops for hours before coming right back to the first one you saw.

Well, I did it,.... I sold my soul,.....errr, I mean bought the ring. ;)

Tomorrow's the big day (technically I pop the question today since it's after midnight now). She has no clue, which in itself is a miracle. Basically she and I have been working our finances for over a year now in order to get engaged and married, and no go poor doing so. So that in itself sort of blunts the whole surprise aspect. Add to that, her grandfather has recently taken ill, and that has hastened our plans further. I've been planning for many months now to pop the question tomorrow, but the news on her GF has hastened her angst about when it would happen. It must be killing her because I've managed to put the idea in her head that I won't be proposing until we go on vacation,... in two months. :twisted:

Anyway, here's a picture of the ring. I did end up ordering from Bluenile, and I have to say that the diamond is the most beautiful diamond I've seen the entire time I've been looking,... about 2 & 1/2 months now.

It's oval shaped , 0.80 kt, VVS2, D color, cut -Ideal, excellent symmetry, & platnium setting with baguettes.

--

---

----

-----

DM15503700_RD_100_zoom.jpg

I have to give props to secretvampire, who supplied the single most influential piece of advice I gleened from the thread ( although it was all helpful and appreciated :tu: )

secretvampire said,

" Instead of getting a larger, not-as-quality stone, I got a 0.52 carat very high quality stone. Trust me, the sparkle and brilliance is much more impressive than having a larger stone. "

I took this to heart the more I thought about it. I originally was shooting to get a one kt diamond, but all of the shopping I had done reinforced the idea that a smaller stone of high qaulity was more impressive, and so secretvampires word reinforced what I had been considering. Heck, if money was no obect I'd have gotten the best of both. ;)

Anyway, I'm sure she is going to love it. Thank you all for your help! I'll be back tomorrow evening with her answer. Gee, I wonder what she'll say??? ;) :green:

She said No!!!!

Just kidding! :green:

She said yes, and she is very excited! And I am too!

Now we can officially start planning for the wedding. :D Again, I'd thank you everyone for your assistance and your good wishes.

(PS, I forgot to mention the ring is also has 6 prongs, unlike the above pic. I wouldn't feel safe with any less. ) :)

I have to give props to secretvampire, who supplied the single most influential piece of advice I gleened from the thread

Well, I'm very glad I could be of help and you picked out a very nice ring. And furthermore...CONGRATULATIONS!

I just got back from a trip up to MN with my fiancee to do a whole lot of our arrangements. Holy shit...I just realized as of tomorrow it is exactly 2 months away. :shock: Anyway, if I had to give another piece of advice for the coming months...don't stress too much over the details. The wedding doesn't have to be "perfect", just do what you want to do. My fiancee and I have taken a very relaxed approach to planning this...everything is falling into place wonderfully and we aren't stressing and pulling our hair out over it. I'm really looking forward to seeing our plan in action heheh.