LCVG

Your Idea for the ultimate Collection Disc

tiac

This may not be a "collector's disc" per se, but I would love to see Retro Studios include Super Metroid as an unlockable on Metroid Prime 2. Considering Nintendo's fondness for re-releasing ports of Super NES games on the GBA, I sort of doubt this will happen though. I'm actually somewhat surprised that they haven't released such a product yet.

And since this topic isn't necessarily a platform specific one, I'll go ahead and more this to the General Forum.

Originally posted by J.Fo@May 17 2004, 10:20 PM

This may not be a "collector's disc" per se, but I would love to see Retro Studios include Super Metroid as an unlockable on Metroid Prime 2. Considering Nintendo's fondness for re-releasing ports of Super NES games on the GBA, I sort of doubt this will happen though. I'm actually somewhat surprised that they haven't released such a product yet.

Sticking with the same series, a disc for the Cube that has all the pre-GBA Metroid 2Ds on it would be great...

Since Nintendo re-issued all of the classic Mario games on the GBA I think it's logical that the next revenue stream for these games is to release them in a graphically enhanced form (as suggested by Tiac). The Paper Mario 2 art is a phenomenal style and I like the idea of using it to re-create the classic games. I'd certainly buy such an offering.

I like the Mario idea, actually, that's a good one.

My ultimate, which I espouse frequently, is a compilation of Konami's 4-player beat-em-ups from the arcade. It won't happen simply because it's an outright licensing nightmare, with everything from the Simpsons to Bucky O'Hare to The Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa thrown in there in addition to their own games like Sunset Riders and Vendetta. But that would be my ultimate.

I'm a huge fan of arcade compilations period, as these games are not worth paying a lot of dough for for individual titles, but a bunch gives great play value (Midway learned this at least).

Taito would be a close second to that, as they have a ton of excellent games that haven't seen home console release in years (if ever), like Arkanoid, Arabian Magic, the Bubble Bobble trilogy (tell me this would not sell), Cadash, Chase H.Q., etc etc.

Capcom is off the hook because they're releasing a collection I want, the Mega Man one :green:

If you're going to be doing compilations of old arcade games for the XBox, then as we've all been learning in the Midway thread, Live Highscore support is a must.

Mind you, as much as I'd just love to have a Tempest, Asteroids or Nemesis competition, I know that I'd get my arse handed me by several people here...

Thing about Asteroids though is that it requires that rotato-paddle anyway. It's one of the few games that I don't think would translate really well to home consoles these days.

That's what keeps me from clamoring for Midway to throw Blasteroids onto one of their compilations at least, with those funky awesome transforming ships and the two-player co-op that let you merge into one super battle-cruiser :tu:

Did I mention I've got a Paddle controller for the Playstation? It came bundled with the Pong update that Hasbro did a couple of years back. It wasn't that expensive; you could probably do an XBox one to bundle with the software and sell it at normal console game prices, too.

Besides, the original Asteroids just had digital left and right buttons, no paddle to be seen - you'd only need one for Blasteroids.

Considering Nintendo is selling Donkey Kong and Pac-Man for the GBA for $19.99 a pop, I sincerely doubt they'd put a Mario compilation together for the GameCube.

Despite the fact that you can buy seven Sonic the Hedgehog games on one disc for $19.99 and 24 of Midway's old cabinet games for the same price... but this is money-grubbing Nintendo we're talking about here.

If Nintendo's that friggin' hoity-toity about keeping its revenue up, here's what they should do: release TWO mario compilations. The first should have Donkey Kong (WITH THE CEMENT LEVEL REINSTATED DAMMIT), DK Jr., DK 3, Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros 2, and Super Mario World. The second should have Super Mario Bros 3, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64 and Paper Mario.

The Legend of Zelda compilation that's out now for GC is selling used for $54.99. I was able to get it used for $25. That compilation is great except for the omission of A Link to the Past.

but this is money-grubbing Nintendo we're talking about here.

This is slightly ridiculous isn't it? Nintendo's not the only company sitting on popular back catalogue titles.

And lest we forget, they did the compilation game a LOT earlier than most people did with Mario All-Stars for the SNES.

And exactly how much did that Zelda compilation cost? Well, it was free if you bought some other popular games or a Cube.

Phew, money-grubbing right there, for sure. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see it.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@May 18 2004, 09:33 PM

And exactly how much did that Zelda compilation cost? Well, it was free if you bought some other popular games or a Cube.

Or practically anything, really - I got mine for free by asking the shop assistant nicely when I bought Gregory Horror Show. For the PS2.

I would like to see a Castlevania collection myself... with options to play the original or slightly updated ones (with the ability to jump onto stairs ).

:tu: I'd be more than happy to buy that. Moreso if Konami would grace the Castlevania fans of the world with Castlevania Rondo of Blood (without the 300 price tag).

Moreso if Konami would grace the Castlevania fans of the world with Castlevania Rondo of Blood

So picky. ;)

Just give me a flicker-free version of Castlevania III and we're set :tu:

Heck, maybe the success of the Mega Man collection (if it occurs) will push Konami towards this. Because as Capcom was the MegaMan company in the day, so was Konami the Castlevania company for a bit :).

Originally posted by Pharmboy@May 18 2004, 03:33 PM

This is slightly ridiculous isn't it? Nintendo's not the only company sitting on popular back catalogue titles.

And lest we forget, they did the compilation game a LOT earlier than most people did with Mario All-Stars for the SNES.

Phew, money-grubbing right there, for sure. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see it.

So what you're telling me is that you'll pay $19.99 for Donkey Kong for the GameBoy? :shock:

For $19.99 I can get Namco Museum (12 games), Midway Arcade Treasures (24 games), or the Sonic Collection (7 games that are rather large in scope). I can also go to Urban Outfitters and get one of those goofy-ass joysticks that have 10 games on it that I can hook up to the TV.

And the version of Donkey Kong on GameBoy is missing a level.

When putting all of those purchases in comparison, Who the hell would pay $19.99 for freakin' Donkey Kong???!?!?!@?@?

Who the hell would pay $19.99 for freakin' Donkey Kong

Plenty of people. The same people that pay 29.99 for Super Mario World or the same price for a fairly standard port of Super Mario Bros. 2. Nintendo simply knows there market in that regard. Is it a money-grab? Of course it is and the most interesting part of saying that is that people pay for this stuff because they want these games. Rule #1 in the world of sales, do not let your perceived value of a product get in the way of what another person may view as valuable. I sure as hell don't blame Nintendo for taking that viewpoint even though I sure don't agree with some of the prices for these retro titles.

Isn't Donkey Kong one of the Famicom Anniversary products, anyway? They were clearly designed from the start as novelty items for collectors and old-school fanatics rather than someone who wants a bunch of cheap games, anyway. The things are released on individual carts with fancy mock-NES packaging for aesthetic reasons at least as much as because Nintendo though they could make more money from a few fanboys than from lots of people buying cheap-looking compilations.

By the way, I'm not au fait with the 'missing level' issue. Is is present in the Famicom version, or just the Arcade? The cart is supposed to be a port of the Famicom release.

So what you're telling me is that you'll pay $19.99 for Donkey Kong for the GameBoy?

Phew, hell no!

I'm just saying that Nintendo doesn't always go for the cash, sometimes they do put out a good, well-priced (free!) gaming compilation. That's what I'm countering, not the fact that they're charging too damn much for old stuff.

I'm not paying my $30 Canadian for old Nintendo games, screw that :P.

Is is present in the Famicom version, or just the Arcade?

Just the arcade, Iain. As far as I am aware, the Cement Factory level has never made an appearance on a home console.

Fine by me, I have all these old titles in Animal Crossing anyway :green: