LCVG

Devil May Cry 3 Pre-release Discussion

Romier S

After the garbage that was Devil May Cry 2 I cannot tell you how ecstatic I am to watch this trailer and see well this new game is coming long. DMC 3 looks to be one major apology from Capcom and if the final game ends up being half of what this trailer makes it out to be, this will be one action junkies wet dream!

Enjoy:

Devil May Cry 3 trailer

• 3 months later...

New Devil May Cry 3 site is up. Also includes a picture of Dante's new devil form:

http://www.capcom.co.jp/devil3/characters02.html

Thoughts?

For those curious about the design, you can read about it here:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107931.html

Capcom announced today that Kazuma Kaneko, best known for illustrating several of Atlus' games--including the Persona series--is working on Devil May Cry 3. Specifically, Kazuma will be designing the alternate demonic form of series main character Dante.

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Sep 20 2004, 06:28 PM

Each night as into bed I duck,

I pray to the Gods,

" Please don't let DMC3 suck ! "

:lmfao:

They should put that in the beginning of every preview for DMC3. I mirror those same feelings Leslie.

I guess the thing that pissed me off the most about it was, it was not broke and did not need fixing. They had such a great beginning with characters people liked and wanted to see more of, and see more story developed about them. There had to have been other ways they could have expanded on that story. There was no need to branch off into the direction that they went. Since I was not able to force myself to finish DMC2, I have to go on people's opinions, and I have heard that the makers did not even give a satisfactory ending to it. :wtf:

So far I am looking forwards to DMC3, but I do have to say the new devil look for Dante looks like something a pussy-devil would wear. I much prefered the first look. Maybe they need

" Queer Eye for the Devil Guy " for this game. Dante looks much cooler with all his clothes on instead running around bare chested. 8)

So far I am looking forwards to DMC3, but I do have to say the new devil look for Dante looks like something a pussy-devil would wear. I much prefered the first look. Maybe they need

" Queer Eye for the Devil Guy " for this game. Dante looks much cooler with all his clothes on instead running around bare chested

I don't mind the new devil form look. This is a younger Dante and I can see him eventually growing into the devil skin seen in the first game (DMC3 is after all a prequel.) I do really like what I've seen of DMC3 though. The new emphasis on fighting styles and special moves that go along with them are exrtremely cool. The game also looks to be a return to form as far as enemy behavior is concerned. This time THEY ACTUALLY ATTACK YOU! :shock: :shock: . (there was nothing worse than just standing there in DMC2 as they enemies circled you for a full two minutes without being attacked. Utterly pathetic.)

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Sep 20 2004, 08:48 PM

" Queer Eye for the Devil Guy " for this game. Dante looks much cooler with all his clothes on instead running around bare chested

I don't mind the new devil form look. This is a younger Dante and I can see him eventually growing into the devil skin seen in the first game (DMC3 is after all a prequel.) I do really like what I've seen of DMC3 though. The new emphasis on fighting styles and special moves that go along with them are exrtremely cool. The game also looks to be a return to form as far as enemy behavior is concerned. This time THEY ACTUALLY ATTACK YOU! :shock: :shock: . (there was nothing worse than just standing there in DMC2 as they enemies circled you for a full two minutes without being attacked. Utterly pathetic.)

Well, that explains it then. I was wondering why he looked " The same, yet different ". I guess I was not getting that he was younger in what I have been seeing. I had given up any hope of them being able to redeem themselves after the DMC2 fiasco and lost interest. I'm glad you found these and posted them, I am leaning towards fandom again. But, I am still holding out on final judgement till my controller is in my hand and the title screen is playing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so excited for DMC that I bought a fricking JPN PS2 and got the early demo. I then of course played the whole thing in Japanese when the import arrived, speaking not a word of it. Fantastic, fantastic game.

The sequel, quite frankly, was dull and non-sensical. Mechanically, things started out OK, but the story was incomprehensible, and it just didn't fel right. Very lame.

True to form, I have ebayed the DMC3 demo. I'll post some opinions after I've given it a whirl :)

I agree with the prayer...please let DMC not suck :)

Take care,

Chuck

I agree with the prayer...please let DMC not suck

I think there is a good change it won't Chuck. Word of mouth on the demo from those who have played it have been very positive and I think Capcom knows they need to pump out a good game to keep fans interested after the mess that was DMC2.

Well, Romier, thanks to my good fortune 3 years ago geting a JPN PS2 (and an unhealthy love for the first DMC game), I have PLAYED said demo :o :shock: It showed up yesterday. So even with my mother in town and a screaming 9 month old, I still devoted about an hour to the demo :)

It's tough to judge a game from two levels, but not impossible. I *DID* buy the Play magazine in late 2002 to check out the DMC2 progress with that demo. And it wasn't a great indicator of how crappy DMC2 was, but it felt wrong. Too loose, too pointless, just "not right".

The DMC3 demo felt right. Enough story (such as it is), much improved graphics, and a much more comfortable action system that had more options, and still felt as comfortable as DMC 1.

In short, it got me really excited for the big game.

Quick impressions on the playing:

1 button for the guns

1 button for the sword

1 button to jump

Last button for your method of play:

Gunslinger allows for special gun moves

Swordmaster allows for special sword attacks

Trickster allows for quick speed dash or wall runs

Royal Guard was not available in the demo

One of the L triggers allows switching guns on the fly. It felt fairly intuitive. I got to the end of the second mission and the "boss" beat me, but I'll try again today :) I really liked the demo. I don't know what else to say, except that the awful memory of two can now be laid to rest :)

Take care,

Chuck

Excellent Chuck! Your impression mirrors those of several sites that have played the demo but it's always good to hear it directly from a members mouth. Hopefully the game does get delayed into 2005. I would love a DMC to play this holiday season.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Some more info on Devil May Cry 3:

1) Dante Must Die mode isn't the hardest difficulty, there is something harder than it.

2) Enemies level up with Dante. Gain new moves such as the ability to transform and to block/counter.

3) The game has almost 2 hours of cutscenes directed by Yuji Shimomura.

4) The story is an important aspect, not just a late add-on like it was in DMC2.

5) This is the longest DMC game.

6) Vergil is hinted at being a playable character (suggestive)

7) There are mutliple Devil Trigger forms for Dante. Not just that red one we've been seeing. Dante get's a different Devil Trigger with different/attributes/elements depending on which melee weapon he using. Also, you can switch between any 4 (pre-set, of your choosing) weapons on the fly (in-game), and mid-combo to mix things up.

Here's some pretty kick butt wallpapers for the game as well:

Dante

Lady

Vergil

• 4 weeks later...

Some more information has come through on Devil May Cry 3. The games producer Tsuyoshi Tanaka help a demonstration for the game in France. He confirmed a few things:

-Devil May Cry 3 will be more than 15 (about 15-20) hours long on Normal mode. In comparison, Resident Evil 4 was logged by Capcom to be about 20 hours long.

-Tanaka stated that project Devil May Cry 4 for the next-generation systems, will not be produced by him. He noted that the 2+ year development cycle of Devil May Cry 3, has him utterly tired and exhausted. No word on who will be producing but speculation runs rampant that Kobayashi (producer of RE4) may take hold of the project.

-Devil May Cry 3 will be the hardest Devil May Cry yet. Harder than DMC1 even. It will also include a difficulty mode more difficult than Dante Must Die mode. However, there is an Easy_Automatic mode which Tanaka referred to as "the French touch" ( :lol: ). This means players will be able to do all the moves with just two buttons. The game will determine the situtation and do the move for you(regardless of how complicated/simple it is) by you just pressing one button.

-The Devil May Cry 3 development team traveled to Spain/Barcelona to get inspiration for the game's 3D environments and gothic castle/tower designs.

-There are secret missions in Devil May Cry 3. They are hidden by doors etc in the game. If you find them, you have to tackle unique obstacles to beat them. There are also 10 unique bosses.

Devil May Cry 3 will be the hardest Devil May Cry yet. Harder than DMC1 even. It will also include a difficulty mode more difficult than Dante Must Die mode. However, there is an Easy_Automatic mode which Tanaka referred to as "the French touch" ( ). This means players will be able to do all the moves with just two buttons. The game will determine the situtation and do the move for you(regardless of how complicated/simple it is) by you just pressing one button.

NOW THAT is the right ****ing way to handle wussing the game difficulty. Make it ****ing optional. I hate it when they dumb down the difficulty for everyone. Make it an option, yay!! ! Capcom was starting to do badly in this regard, and I am glad to see some progress. DMC1 handled it exactly the right way with its easy auto mode, and it looks like the same here for DMC3. :D

Nice videos. I didn't really get excited about the game until I purchased the copy of Famitsu last year that contained the Resident Evil 4 demo disc, and a DVD of Capcom game trailers, of which an extended DMC3 trailer was one. It was certainly exciting to watch, and the character animation left me very impressed. It's certainly one I am looking to get come March as my PS2 is begging for attention lately. I always loved the frantic on screen action of the first game, and the third seems to retain that, and even take it a few steps further.

Daniel

Great news...March is shaping up to be a big gaming month. This definitely tops my list. As for the difficulty, good news. Part of the charm of the first game (and Ninja Gaiden) was that it was old-school hard.

Can't wait to play...

Thanks for the new trailer, Romier.

Take care,

Chuck

Some more info on Devil May Cry 3 from an interview in a recent Famitsu. A poster on the IGN boards took the time to transcribe it and post highlights and I want to go ahead and repost them here (credit goes to LHK2) as they give some good details about the game:

The interview is with Kaneko-san and Tanaka-san (who is the producer of Devil May Cry 3)

Famitsu: Is this combining of talent the result of Dante's appearance in Shin Megami Tensei?

Tanaka: Actually, when project DMC3 began we thought about who would make the best Devil Design...something different, something well-known throughout Japan. The discussion resulted in. Mr.Kaneko. We wanted to make a stylish Devil Trigger form that retains the human outline. At that time, ATLUS happened to ask to borro Dante. Because of that, the push for dual-cooperation between the companies began.

Famitsu: What's the major point of designing DT from?

Kaneko: Because DMC3 take place before DMC1. The DT from in DMC1 and DMC2 showed Dante's character directly. DT form of DMC3 should show the character smaller and weaker. That means DT form in DMC3 is kind of INCOMPLETE. The points are YOUNG and EVOLUTE. Also, we really wanted to take a risk and make the DT forms look very different from the previous two Devil May Cry installments.

Kaneko: DT system is kind of a super move for counter attack. DT is a king of special ATTACK MOVE if you will. The vaule of DEFENSE was added into DT system. Combine the cloth and skin make the sense of firm defense. Combining the cloth with the skin and "meshing" them together was the inspiration I kept in my mind when drawing the forms for Dante.

okay, this interview is long, so I'll sum up some parts:

the next two pages are about

"About Vergil's DT"

"How it feels to work together with CAPCOM?"

"How's the design process?"

and for the most part they kept saying GREAT and all that buddy buddy PR bull****.

HERE ARE SOME RANDOM TANAKA INPUTS:

Tanaka: The black line on Dante's legs will turn into other colors in different DT. Some will have light pulsating through to create a drastic effect, others will have a charcoal look to it.

Tanaka: The speed of DMC3's gameplay is very fast. The fastest in any Capcom 3D action game ever.

Tanaka: Because players can equip 4 weapons (two firearms and two melee weapons at one time) We wanted the player to THINK before they choose which set of 4 they want. Each enemy will have certain defenses against a particular weapon. The whole aspect of puzzles in DMC3 will be similar (in ways) to it's Resident Evil roots, but the majority of puzzles in DMC3 involve on "how to fight" your enemy. Some enemies have defense patterns and you must find a way to break through that.

Famitsu: There is a lot of 3rd party support working on DMC3, can you explain some of them.

Tanaka: Yuji Shimomura and Ryuhei Kitamura (director of Versus and action director for Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes) both have an important place in the staff. We also have a separate producer to handle the game's movies and cutscenes. Because they are very expensive and daunting to do, I couldn't handle it myself. So two movie producers in the film industry handled DMC3's cutscenes (there are a little more than 90 minutes of cutscenes in DMC3) while myself, and my team worked on the gameplay.

Details and interview details from the Tanaka Paris Presentation

--DMC3 will have 90+ minutes of cutsenes directed by Yuji Shimomura and Ryuhei Kitamura.

--DMC3 will mark the return to action "greatness" Much how DMC1 became the benchmark of what an action game should be compared to, DMC3 will return that title. It is very important to make sure DMC3 is the best Capcom can do, if this installment fails, a million seller will turn into a banal series, and this will not and cannot happen.

--Devil May Cry 3 will be the most pick-up-and-friendly game, at the same time the depth and true potential of combat will only be achieved by the greatest players accross the world. Says Tanaka.

--Tanaka promises this game will have a very good story. "I have been saying this from the beginning, a lot of effort went into explaining Dante, his family and his past. It was based off of the Japan-only DMC novel written and the DMC1 directed game by Hideki Kamiya. It will explain the true wire-work and origins of Sparda, and as a little treat, by the end of the game you will know why Dante names his Business "Devil May Cry."

--The game has a style system. There are 6 styles to choose from. The ones revealed so far are Trickster, SwordMaster, Gunslinger and Royal Guard. Tanaka says his favorite is Trickster, it allows him to "teleport" behind enemies (ala Shinobi style) to do decent damamge very quickly. But Tanaka says that a lot of the advanced player seem to choose "Royal Guard." As it's a complicated technique that when mastered, results in offense/defense and a lot of red orbs are created through this. But mastery in timing (similar to Onimusha's ISSENING) is required to truly master Royal Guard in all three levels.

---The actual content of the game won't change between the difficulty modes. He says this because there are players who just aren't good at action games, and because of that they shouldn't be penelized by not having all the boss fights (like DMC1 did). However, a Journalist made a comment saying that the normal difficulty was too hard for them. Some of the English press was able to beat the demo presentation but the French press wasn't able to pass the first mini-boss at Mission 2. So Tanaka immediatly called some staff from Capcom-Europe to quickly recode the game to make it easier for the PAL version. Haha, European gamers suck, go American gamers!!

-- Tanaka also said that the demo was merely the first missions of the game. Not really a represantion of the final product. He says this because DMC3 will have a lot of puzzles/exploration and platforming to hold true to it's Resident Evil (castle-like) roots. He also said that in each mission, there are secret missions that only the most keen of explorers will be able to find.

--Tanaka says "looking cool" while playing isn't a gimmick. It effects gameplay GREATLY. This is because when your style rank is higher (by mixing up chains and moves) you get more orbs dropped by the enemy. (As well as more orbs at the end of the mission) further more, the "crazy combos" become easier to pull off (btw, crazy combos are performed by mashing the button as fast as humanly possible, think Chun-Li's lighting kick or E.Honda's 100 Hand Slap). In addition, the higher you keep your rank, the faster your Devil Trigger (DT) guage will fill up.

--With the ability to switch weapons on the fly, as well as cancel in and out of two separate Devil Trigger forms at the press of a button, it's possible to rack up 200+ hit combos and continously string moves together in a stylish and (non-button-mashy) format. Although, Tanaka says most enemies won't be able to endure--200 hit combos (laughs) although expert players will be able to 200 hit a group of enemies in a constant fashion as long as they use their evasive tactics well.

--The camera system has been built from the ground up. The camera is styl cinematic, but it is not fixed You have the option to rotate it with the right analog stick, as well as the option to reset it behind Dante by pressing in L3. He does say though, the CPU's camera system is 100% perfect, so he doubts players will even NEED to manually adjust the camera. But the option is there to make everyone happy (laughs)

--Tanaka says, if you stick with one style throughout the game, it'll take about 2/3rds to the entire game to fully maximize it. He says the game is about 15-18 hours long. And there are 6 styles, plus secret weapons and characters.

--When asked if Vergil/Lady/Arkahm/DMC1 Dante/DMC2 Dante/Trish/Lucia are playable Tanaka smiles and says "it's a secret."

--The journalist writing this article, states that he is wholly impressed with Devil May Cry 3, and that it will easily mark the return to action gaming greatness. He also said the difficulty in DMC3 is quite steep but fair. For example, he stated that the difficulty in DMC1 was very fluctuating, some early missions would be harder than later missions etc.

Altough in whole, DMC3 is harder than DMC1, DMC3 does a better job on slowly creating the difficulty (stair-case) was the used example. So that even begginers can start doing some amazing things due to the game's intuitive control schemes.

Worst comes to worst though, there is an EASY mode...

Tanaka also said that there is a difficulty mode ABOVE the infamous Dante Must Die mode. (which is harder than hard ladies and gents, quite possibly Dante Must Die mode is noted as probably the hardest thigns to do in the PS2 console.) But he also says that there is something TRULY SPECIAL AND SUPRISING ON THE HIGHEST DIFFICULTY LEVEL, SOMETHING UNIQUE THAT WILL SHOCK EVEYRONE.. AND ONLY THE BEST OF THE BEST WILL EXPERIENCE IT.

Devil May Cry 3 will come out in March 24th in Europe.