LCVG

Pet peeve time

Cyberwoo

*rant mode on*

Ok so I'm really hating Splinter Cell single player at the moment. I'm at what appears to be the last level in Splinter Cell: PT. My objective is to take out the 3 remaining bad guys who are on the top level of some catwalks. There are 3 airport security guys down below as well. Anyway while playing this level one thing started to REALLY irritate me. I can be in complete darkness, behind a crate, behind a wall, etc In other words I am totally invisible to anyone. However if I take a shot at one of my enemies they automatically know EXACTLLY where I am located on the map and come running after me guns blazing. This really bugs me. I've seen this in other games as well (Deus Ex comes to mind). Does anyone else find this as anoying as I do? Mind you that my anoyence with it is hightened because I am having trouble beating this last level but still its something that has bothered me in the past and now its really making me want to quit playing the darn game.

*rant mode off*

Staying with the same topic what other things in video games really annoy you? I'm talking things that just make you want to quit playing the game all together.

You know how some racing games have a "rubber band" mode where no matter how well or how poorly you drive, you can never either pull away or get left in the dust? Well I hate sports games that do that. Stuff like as soon as you get up by a touchdown or two, the CPU suddenly forces an astonishing number of fumbles or breaks 5 tackles in a row, that sort of thing. Drives me crazy, although to be fair I have to say I haven't seen as much of it in the mainstream sports games recently.

The classic annoyance in racing games is rubberband AI, where they never let you get too far behind or too far ahead. That has caused me to stop playing a few games, one I remember off the top of my head is FreekStyle.

EDIT: PoisonJam beat me to it.

The last few major RPGs i've played I've gotten to the final boss without leveling up enough so I had to go back and level up for a few hours to have any chance of beating them... It would be nice if they would have a certain threshold you would have to be above before even attempting it - would have saved me several hours of trying "just one more time...." in vain.

My pet peeve is online functions/attributes that you have to play the single player to open up. If it's something that doesn't effect gameplay, like a paintjob on your car or a different uniform or something I'm all for it, but forcing me to complete single player tasks to compete online is perverse.

Think about it, they give a n00b, who has little chance to begin with, a crappy gun and poor camo, but the guy who had an extra 40hours on his hands the past 2 days gets an awesome weapon and can barely be seen, wtf is that? It's a system designed by a 12 yr old w/ a god complex. :wtf:

Most designers have caught on that this isn't the smartest move, but there are a few that seem a bit slow. :roll:

BTW I just beat SC:PT single player. After typing my rants I decided to just give it one last try and go in guns blazing. To my surprise and amusement it worked. I sniped the 2 body gaurds and then capped the main guy. Ran up stairs and got the ND133. Very unsatisfying and the short little movie at the end was kind of lame. Oh well. Now I remember why I hardly finish any single player games. :)

My pet peeve is online functions/attributes that you have to play the single player to open up.

I dislike this too, it's kind of a carrot for single-player, but it makes for such a workload trying to do it if your main point of the game is multiplayer.

Two words, product placement. This really takes me out of the game. And it seems to be getting worse. Another thing that bugs me, is when I can't change the controls from reverse look. I can't play when up is down, and down is up.

Clay

Originally posted by Cyberwoo@May 18 2004, 05:46 PM

Totally with you on that one Kevin. I can't stand games that have multiplayer content locked that force you to play single player. Let the gamer decide what he/she wants to do with the game.

The ones that make you PAY for unlocks, I hate even more. :P

racing games or fps shoters that dont have "battle damange", for example playing Grand Trisumo running full bore into a wall and having no dmage. Or in a fps like ghost recon blasting the hell ou of a car and it jus sits there grining at you. I like the few games that do incoprate this like PGR gives the game a more "real" feel.

Staying with the same topic what other things in video games really annoy you? I'm talking things that just make you want to quit playing the game all together.

Playing through a game and really enjoying it only to get to the last few areas and them forcing to to refight all the bosses again but all in a row. And then the last "boss" being a battle against yourself. Can you say stupid?

Having to play for hours and hours to get special "features" unlocked that end up being picture galleries. Boring.

A brand new super hyped game, spending $40-$50 on it only to finish it in a weekend.

A game that starts out extremely easy, stays really easy and then the last level the difficulty jumps up so high that it doesn't make sense.

Random encounters in RPG's.

Poorly translated games that make no sense.

Purple spikey hair.

Having to play for hours and hours to get special "features" unlocked that end up being picture galleries.

If they're galleries of Shannon Elizabeth I tend not to mind this, myself.

I hate bishounen prettyboys too, now that you mention it ;).

Originally posted by Pharmboy@May 19 2004, 05:27 PM

I still object, but then its the 'playing some crappy game for hours to unlock the extras' that is the annoyance, not the extras that turn up ;)

I'm annoyed when multitudes of logos and animations come up on screen every time you boot a given game. It's not too bad when you can advance through them by hitting a button, but when they force you to watch their clever little animation it's gets on my nerves.

OTOH, this wouldn't make me stop playing a good game.

Playing through a game and really enjoying it only to get to the last few areas and them forcing to to refight all the bosses again but all in a row. And then the last "boss" being a battle against yourself. Can you say stupid?

Having to play for hours and hours to get special "features" unlocked that end up being picture galleries. Boring.

A brand new super hyped game, spending $40-$50 on it only to finish it in a weekend.

A game that starts out extremely easy, stays really easy and then the last level the difficulty jumps up so high that it doesn't make sense.

Random encounters in RPG's.

Poorly translated games that make no sense.

Purple spikey hair.

Haha I hear that. You sound like you hate games like Final Fantasy about as much as I do.

Originally posted by Pharmboy@May 19 2004, 11:27 AM

Having to play for hours and hours to get special "features" unlocked that end up being picture galleries.

I hate bishounen prettyboys too, now that you mention it ;).

Ever heard of Google? :P

Perhaps some of you will find my pet peeve most perplexing, but here goes.

I absolutely hate it when the last boss in a game, particularly a hard game, is a pushover. If I had my way, the last boss in every game would be the biggest, baddest son of a bitch you ever did set your sights on. As hard a game as Ninja Gaiden was, I was disappointed when the last boss took fewer attempts to beat then any of the battles with Alma or the horse-riding warrior at the end of chapter 2. The same goes for the fight with Bowser at the end of Super Mario Bros. 3 or the boss at the end of Return to Castle Wolfenstein. If you can't win those battles in one try, something is seriously wrong with you.

Some games do get it right though. The boss at the end of Viewtiful Joe was certainly the baddest bad guy you faced in that game. I'd also say the same about the last level of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and the original Mega Man. Kudos to those titles that do it right!

The same goes for the fight with Bowser at the end of Super Mario Bros. 3

Bite me, Jeff! :green:

You don't want to know how many times it took me to beat that game. Probably even more than it did Super Mario Bros. 1. Yes, I am not great at platformers, it is true.

You're right though, I do think that the last boss should be something awe-inspiring and amazing. And not like Final Fantasy either, where you fight "the last boss" and then it ALWAYS claws back up for another go in a more powerful form. Yuck. Metal Gear Solid does this to a lesser extent with that damned jeep ending, yech.

The last boss battle I remember being a real good go was Metroid Prime. Holy beans did I get wailed on during that last section. Just hard enough to be challenging but not impossible.