LCVG

Hitman: Contracts

EnemaEms

Well, I rented Contracts yesterday for the X-box and played the 1st few levels. How this game got good reviews is beyond me. My number 1 complaint.... the game wants you to be stealthy, but the stealth doesn't work most of the time. You sneak behind a guy to kill him and as soon as you pull out your weapon he knows...even when his back is turned. Another thing is your cover will be blown and you have no clue why. :roll:

The controls also are a bit on the crappy side. They are either sluggish or too twitchy. Don't ask why they are both, they just are. I also hate the look of Agent 47, he looks and animates just like he did in the 1st Hitman, which isn't a good thing. The animation of Agent 47 is just horrible, half the time it looks like he is floating and the poly count on him seems low, and he is the main character. All of the AI controlled characters look and animate better than the main character, which isn't saying much because even they look crappy.

The level designs are really cool though. I will give Eidos that. They have created some cool levels to play though. They look good and are fun to play in. The 2nd level has an enormous amount of characters on screen at once (it is a party), and the frame rate never suffers, but then again that is probably because the characters have about 100 polys each. :)

I also like the options on how to complete your objectives. You really have a bunch of different ways to do things. I've always loved when developers implement open-ended gameplay and it is done really well here.

I enjoyed the 1st Hitman on the PC, never played the 2nd, and I know I probably won't give Contracts much more time. The only reason I want to play it a bit more is just to see the level designs of the future levels, but the crappy graphics and gameplay are really turning me off on even that.

-Dean-

Yeah, I rented this a couple of weeks ago and was equally unimpressed. I think I only played through the first level and it left me with no desire to continue. The graphics were sub-par and I also really didn't like the controls. Just as well though as I have plenty of other games to play through.

The first level was awesome and then when I got into the meat factory the game fell apart. My cover got blown more than Colin Farrell at a brothel. No matter what I did, no matter what disguise I wore, no matter where I hid, my cover got blown.

Pointless. I'l wait for the next THief game.

Wow, glad to hear you guys saying such bad things about hitman. I set out today to pick up a new game and had it narrowed to either Hitman:Contracts or Red Dead Revolver, both xbox versions. I ended up going with RDD, really glad I did too as thus far I really like the game.

Most reviews about the latest Hitman have been on the lukewarm side. At least the reviews I've come across. Most said that the series needs to move forward by getting a new graphics engine. I guess this one is the original? Many reviewers didn't like the way that the control of Agent 47 was poor. He slid around alot with lame animations? That's the way it was in Hitman 2.

When I went to EB about a month ago, it was down to either Hitman:Contracts or Manhunt. I dicked around a bit with Hitman at the store since it was on their Xbox. Pretty much felt just like the previous Hitman 2 and, that's why I decided against it. I don't need more of damn near the exact same. Hell...I read that you actually even do some of the exact same missions from the previous 2 games. Poor, imho.

Anyhoo...that's why I went with Manhunt which, is vastly superior to Hitman, if you ask me.

Only problem I'm having with Manhunt...and it's a show stopper, is that the friggin' game is locking up left and right at the very end of the game. Flawless all the way through, now...just 5 guys to whack then I'm at Starkweather himself...and it's locking up the Xbox. Hard lockup. Gotta turn it off then back on. Not a scratch or bit of dirt on the disc either. :(

I've been thinking of getting a Hitman game after being very impressed with Freedom Fighters from the same developer. I guess I should look at Hitman 2 on budget then?
I haven't finished Hitman 2 yet, nor have I played Contracts at all, but from what I have played, Hitman 2 is a definite buy at the budget price level. (should be under 20 bucks new or less used)

• 2 weeks later...

just found this thread and feel like i have to offer a dissenting voice...

i absolutely loved this game, occasional clipping and agent-47-shuffle-and-slide and all. the soundtrack, if nothing else, is incredible.

played the whole game with "silent assassin" rating, and enjoyed every. single. second.