LCVG

EB penalized for violating street date....

Carlucci

Posted in General discussion since discussion can include video games...

Story Here

I think this is a good thing, since other retailers are honoring the street date restrictions.

Are the street date restrictions simply meant to protect retailers from having sales eroded by other retailers who get the movie/game early? Or are the restrictions there so the sales figures for day 1 will be much higher? A little of both, maybe?

I once stopped in at a Gamestop to buy a game, and the manager asked if I wanted to buy another game. (I can't remember the title now). I knew that it wasn't supposed to street for another week, so I asked him if he was intentionally breaking the street date. He said that Gamestop gets special exclusive deals to sell early on some titles, and this was one of them. My Bullshitometer instantly went off, and I politely refused. But now I wonder, is it possible?

Do you think the temptation will be too great for small retailers to break the street date for Halo 2? What would be the repercussions if they did so?

Carlos.

Got mine on Tuesday, and I know Dan had his before then. But then, as far as New Line are concerned, we shouldn't have R1 NTSC copies at all, and should be happy with craply converted PAL from "Entertainment In Video", so I don't think it makes much difference.

Do you think the temptation will be too great for small retailers to break the street date for Halo 2? What would be the repercussions if they did so?

When you say small retailers, who do you mean? Independent retailers (ie not EB, GameStop, BestBuy etc)?

In the UK, there's been a whole bunch of "release date wars" with titles such as the last Tomb Raider game being on sale a week in advance. All it takes is one shop breaking date & all the others pile on.

The small retailers have the most to lose as the usual alleged repercussions are slow restocks, late deliveries etc from the distributor. The big chains are "above the law" as the distributor needs them as much as they need the distributor.

Bah. I've had RotK for the past 2 and a half weeks. :)

And as some of you know, I've had some new games a few days in advance, Midtown Madness and PGRS2 come to mind.

I have a few local places I go to for broken street date DVDs and games. Games not so much anymore, but DVDs all the time. I had Bubba Ho-Tep two and a half weeks ago as well.

Last weekend I was in a local store and while in the DVD section, I saw boxes that had these MAJOR stickers plastered across them that stated that breaking street date would result in severe fines. So, the boxes (at least for this store) that the DVDs come in plainly state the facts to the stores and if they still break street date, it only hurts themselves if they get caught, BUT it wouldn't stop me from picking up something early! I used to actually look for stores that break street date, just to brag a little to friends that I was already playing or watching so-and-so title. Does that make me a bad person?

Are the street date restrictions simply meant to protect retailers from having sales eroded by other retailers who get the movie/game early?

Yes, more specifically to protect the smaller independent retailers who may not receive their stock from the studios as early as the larger chains. I think that's how it works anyway. Thankfully the studios gave up on chasing down on the typical breaking of streetdates of Region1 discs here in the UK and Europe long ago so we still get such nuggets early. Never found a place to get games as far in advance however.

I was told my copy came last Saturday, but I only flew back from Scotland on Tuesday. I've not actually taken to watching the entire film yet it must be said. I basically got home the other day, fired up the HT and proceeded directly to Chapter 35, which then got looped a few times as did chapters 14 and 59. Meeting Howard Shore tomorrow at a special Q&A at the Royal College of Music (!!!!) and then I?m attending his Rings Symphony concert on Sunday so goodness knows when I will actually watch the disc in its entirety. Perhaps Sunday night to round of a weekend of Rings madness.

The weather has been quite hot down south, so firing up my TV, my DVD player, my power amp and my processor for 3 and a half hour?s straight will turn my room into a sauna.

Best thing about the DVD? Mi Casa did NOT do the 5.1 mix for the disc this time round. The chaps from Skywalker Sound who were the film's actual mixers did the DVD, and I am hoping they do the extended edition as well because of the previous four releases I've never been a fan of Mi Casa's overblown remixes for the home. This, in fact is the most detailed and balanced 5.1 presentation I've ever heard from a DVD. It's really quite remarkable.

Disc 2 has the Super Trailer that made the bonus DVD that came with the ltd edition score release last year as well. It?s nicer here though as it is in 5.1 and anamorphic.

Daniel