LCVG

Should I buy a PS2 this weekend?

Dan B.

Should Dan buy a PS2?  

1. 1. Should Dan buy a PS2?

• Yes, what have you waited so long for?
    • Maybe, but that's a lot of money just to play GT 4.
    • No, you will regret it on Monday when the Bacardi wears off.
    • Don't do it man, think of all the Bacardi you could buy instead.

Need more info before I can vote. What systems do you currently have, what type of games do you like, etc...
Xbox & Gamecube. Racers, shooters, action, adventure, & platformers. (I'm sure I won't really just be playing GT 4 on it)

I voted yes:

1. Because I want to see you spend money. ;)

2. Because I think everyone should own the three majoy consoles

3. You mentioned platformers, and shooters, of which there are hardly any on Xbox & GC

I definitely don't think you'd go wrong buying one. There are a TON of Greatest Hits titles you'd probably enjoy, plus current games, and PSOne games, and GT4. :)

Originally posted by Buck+May 22 2004, 10:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Buck @ May 22 2004, 10:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FreakTornado@May 22 2004, 01:37 PM

then find yourself a cheap copy of World of Outlaws: Sprintcars and unleash your inner redneck!

Wow, I thought I was the only one who had this game :) [/b]

Nope, I clearly remember seeing the NPD data, 2 copies were sold. :P

I actually enjoyed the game a lot, even though it was so damn difficult. Maybe I'll fire up the PS2 today and get some mud on my face.

In fact, I am a longtime fan of Ratbag, the developer of that game. Their first game, Powerslide, is my favorite racing game of all time. (I love to drive sideways!) Great physics & AI, over-the-top course designs, & great online play. A sequel was announced a while ago, but I didn't hear anything about it at E3.

Originally posted by Dan B.@May 22 2004, 11:25 AM

In fact, I am a longtime fan of Ratbag, the developer of that game. Their first game, Powerslide, is my favorite racing game of all time. (I love to drive sideways!) Great physics & AI, over-the-top course designs, & great online play. A sequel was announced a while ago, but I didn't hear anything about it at E3.

Well, other than the online play, it sounds a bit like World of Outlaws. You really do drive sideways about 50% of the time! The AI is great, and that's really what makes the game, it's ultra-intense trying to keep your car on the track, while sliding around turns and jockeying for position, passing is always a risky proposition.

OK, now I'm going to have to play it again.

Well, other than the online play, it sounds a bit like World of Outlaws.
The main difference between the games is that Powerslide featured wild & varied course design, but the sprint car game (as well as all of their other PC games) feature mostly oval tracks, which I don't find nearly as interesting.

Sorry for going so far offtopic, then again, it's basically a 'yes' or 'no' kind of thread...

Yeah, there's no question that Sprintcars is a tad monotonous because all but one of the tracks are pure ovals, but they do mix it up in terms of surfaces (as you race through one day, the track dries and changes quite a lot), and the tracks differ in length, which changes your strategy.

But there is also a kind of hypnotic zen thing that sets in when you get into it, you kind of zone out and slip into this rhythm. You can never make big gains on your opponents in one lap, so if you settle into a good rhythm, you can see the space between you and the next guy slowly shrink, until it's time to pass...which is a real challenge. The game is more mental than most racing games, you keep focus or you lose.

It was the difficulty of the game that finally made me stop playing, on the easier levels it's not too bad, but once you move into the harder settings, it gets really difficult, at least for me.

I'd like to try Powersilde, or it's possible sequel. Was it a console game or PC or both?

I voted no.

For one, a PS2 isn't going to cost $150. It's going to cost $150 + $$$ for accessories and more $$$ for games. That's $200 ++ that you could either, 1. invest in your other consoles or 2. Invest in some other cool shit. Basically my feeling is that there is plenty of entertainment to be had from your current consoles, and honestly, the next generation of consoles is right around the corner even it it feels like a long ways off. There is so much cool tech crap out right now that I could see investing that money in right now, but that's just what I'd do. You know what your interests are and what'll make you happy, spend that money however you want, so long as you have fun doing it. :tu:

Guest Bryan

Put the money in an envelope that says 'PS3', 'PSP', 'DS', 'Xbox Next' or something similar. The next Sony console should be backwards compatible and if not, the PS2 will probably be available for $50 used. It will be a nice feeling to see a $300 price tag on a next gen console and know you're halfway there already.