LCVG

Miyamoto Quote from 1up.com

The video game industry is in trouble. Where 10 years ago it seems that everyone played, there is now a barrier between those who do and those who don't play.

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1597208,00.asp

I think Miyamoto is the Spielberg of game producers, but I am tired of Nintendo's rhetoric. Nintendo is constantly making what I consider defensive comments about how their competitors (Sega, Sony, and now Microsoft) are headed down the wrong path. "Technical advancement doesn't matter anymore" "Gamers want a gaming machine, not a home theater center" "Online gaming doesn't have a viable business model" [these are not quotes, but paraphrasing from previous statements that I recall]

Newsflash Nintendo: I appreciate technical advancement greatly. Without it, we'd still be playing only 2D games. I appreciate the home theater features of Xbox, and buy games on that platform instead of Nintendo's because of those features. Online gaming, in my opinion, is one of the top five advancements in gaming history. And finally, there are more people playing videogames today than 10 years ago, precisely because of the advancements toward more sophisticated adult-orientated games. Who else feels as I do about the above issues?

edit:added flame retardant

Agreed.

Had they been able to back up their original claim of quality with a multitude of amazing games I'd allow this one to pass. However, continuing to stick with the same arguement after failing to prove yourself is very lame.

Nintendo still makes good games, but they've been using this line of rhetoric about revolutionizing games and new gaming paradigms for years and have nothing "revolutionary" to show for it. Nintendo has been releasing sequals as habitually as EA. I'm sorry, I don't see the revolutionary gameplay advance from Mario Party 4 to Mario Party 5. ;)

Guest Inuyasha

I think you guy have no clue wat u talkin about .. I THINK gAME CUBE IS KOOL AND ALL .. BUT , IT CAN'T FADE PS2 OR XBOX THEY HAVE WAY BETTER GRAPHIC.. HAHH

Remember, we are HARDCORE GAMERS here. We spend a lot of time researching/discussing/playing videogames. Many of us have all three consoles (plus PCs) and have spent thousands of dollars on this hobby. Since most of us migrated over from a home theater forum (so to speak), we are on the bleeding-edge of a/v technology. We most likely have high(er)-end computers. The average videogame consumer probably doesn't fit in any of those categories. "Quality," "amazing," and "revolutionary" are also subjective terms. I'm not saying Nintendo hasn't made what I also consider to be bone-headed decisions, but too often I think we forget that we are the exception, not the rule.

First of all I've edited the thread title to be a tad less inflammatory and a bit more inviting of debate. I have no doubt there are strong feelings on both sides of the fence but I want to make sure people do not view this post as mere flamebait and write it off without giving it a look.

Secondly:

I think you guy have no clue wat u talkin about .. I THINK gAME CUBE IS KOOL AND ALL .. BUT , IT CAN'T FADE PS2 OR XBOX THEY HAVE WAY BETTER GRAPHIC.. HAHH

First of all welcome to LCVG, its good to see new faces around here. Secondly, I have no idea what your comments add to this discussion. If you prefer the graphics of the Xbox and PS2 I'm pleased for you but this has little relevance to the topic at hand. LCVG is not like every other forum out there and to be blunt outright offtopic/troll/flame posts/threads will not be tolerated here. Please keep that in mind and the discussion on topic or please move along.

Thanks.

I'd like to add some more thoughts to Romier's post.

First of all, there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with Nintendo's philosophy in regards to game design or their plans for the industry as a whole. The same goes for disagreeing with Sony, Microsoft, or any other player in the video game industry. This is, after all a discussion forum, where varying opinions are to be welcomed, not suppressed.

HOWEVER, I do believe that there are less incendiary ways of expressing your opinion. Statements such as, "So please stop spewing Nintendo rhetoric and get back to work on Zelda," add nothing meaningful to the discussion and invite posts from people such as Inuyasha. Instead, a better option for starting a good discussion might be something like the following:

You know, I don?t agree with this. I for one appreciate technological advancements, the HT features of the PS2 and Xbox, and I think more gamers are attracted to games nowadays because of online play and because they?re more complex and sophisticated. What do you think?

That will be more likely to attract excellent responses for a good discussion. That is what we like to see from our membership.

With that in mind, we?ll leave this thread going because it does offer some valid points and could lead to some very enlightening discussion.

Without context (I can't read 1up.com from here) its difficult to know precisely what he is referring to here.

On the one hand, there is a significant barrier in the videogame market today. Its the one between the 'gamers' who are interested in this for the gameplay, the gameplay and maybe the gameplay. These people just want an enjoyable playing experience, and if you've got to control a cartoon Link or command 100 walking flowers in battle to do so then that's just fine.

They are, however, diametrically opposed in the market to the ones that Sony and EA have done such a remarkable job in selling games to. With titles like Singstar and the EyeToy, Sony is really pushing the PS2 into demographics that wouldn't have even considered touching a joypad 10 years ago, and frankly its quite possible that they will continue to avoid touching a joypad even while they enjoy their dance mat games. EA, meanwhile, dominate the American Teenager market with their tried and tested methods of fast cars and big guns. This is a market that Nintendo don't understand, and know that - so they leave it to others and form their own niche.

Now, on the other hand, you can also say that he is wrong - Sony's work has done wonders to break down barriers to non-gamers, and get their boxes under the TV. What Miyamoto is seeing as a barrier to gaming is, in the US at least, a shift in what 'gaming' is, with the Nintendo brand only really selling to kids young enough to not yet find shooting people in the face as cool, or adults who have grown up enough to not care what 'cool' is. The middle ground, the Teen/Early Twenties market that now dominates western videogames really is the Playstation Generation.

p.s. Miyamoto isn't ever going to "stop spewing Nintendo rhetoric and get back to work on Zelda" because, like it or not, all this Spielberg Of Gaming stuff has made him the famous face of Nintendo. As such its ineviatable that he has to do a lot of press. It is just as ineviatable that journalists are going to ask questions about the state of the market, and not just 'how is Link going to look this time?', so he's bound to answer them.

What do you think?
versus
So please stop spewing Nintendo rhetoric and get back to work on Zelda.

Because the vast majority of my post lays out clear talking points of well-known debates, I felt entitled to cap off the post with the above jab and don't feel it steps over any line. But, for all practical purposes, I now see that I attracted some senseless posts, and that is why I shouldn't throw in flame bait. Sorry to participants.

Game on! Continue the debate. I think this is a good one.

we are the exception, not the rule.

This is true in so far as it puts in perspective Nintendo's views that are contrary to hardcore gamers. They are often referring to the mainstream with their statements, not the hardcore. I still think they are making a mistake though. Because it is the hardcore, those that buy first, those that read all the magazines, talk on the forums, and validate new technology like the eyetoy and Xblive, that push markets into the mainstream.

Originally posted by kfredericks@May 25 2004, 12:32 PM

Because it is the hardcore, those that buy first, those that read all the magazines, talk on the forums, and validate new technology like the eyetoy and Xblive, that push markets into the mainstream.

That is true for the launch of expensive new platforms - you're bound to get the 'hardcore' first, because ponying up ?300 for a box that has about 5 games available for it is a pretty hardcore thing to do.

But as I described earlier, the EyeToy is actually the prime example of how to bring in people who aren't just non-hardcore, but completely alien to the traditional videogame market. If I have a criticism of Nintendo, its that they rely too much on what I see as the hardcore gamer, at the expense of the much wider market.

Which is why it has become the platform of choice for 'weird' titles from third-party developers; Ikaruga, Super Monkey Ball and Viewtiful Joe are prime examples of the kind of abstract old-school gaming that is finding a home on the Cube, but the general public in the West find off-putting and scary in comparison to the pursuit of "realism" and easy to understand games. Because everyone grasps what you need to do when you're a gun-toting soldier faced with a room of nazis, that Brazil are a better football team than the Faroe Islands, and that the way to win a race is to beat the other cars to the finish line. The idea that this circle is deadly, but that one is a power-up isn't something a non-gamer wants to know.

validate new technology like the eyetoy

I want to back Iain up on this - the EyeToy is utterly mainstream in Europe & most definitely not lead by the hardcore. It's sold well over 2 million units, the add-on packs have been big hits, and it's 100% crossed over to the mainstream without the hardcore supporting it.

Originally posted by kfredericks@May 25 2004, 05:32 AM
What do you think?
versus
So please stop spewing Nintendo rhetoric and get back to work on Zelda.

Because the vast majority of my post lays out clear talking points of well-known debates, I felt entitled to cap off the post with the above jab and don't feel it steps over any line.

Here's the thing, Keith: The rest of you post was sprinkled with the same inflammatory language as that last statement. Your use of the word "lame" in the topic title to describe Miyamoto's quote (later removed by Romier), your description of Nintendo's philosophy as "rhetoric," and even your use of the phrase, "Newsflash, Nintendo..." all contribute to the overall incendiary vibe of your post.

The biggest problem here is that you mix this inflammatory language in with some valid points and call it the springboard for a good discussion, when the reality is that on almost any other Internet board, you'd have the recipe for an all-out flame war. The only thing keeping us from that at this point is quality of our membership, which skews towards the older and more mature (thank god!).

At any rate, I'm posting this here so that others can see it and perhaps learn from this topic. Carry on.

This argument never gets old, but here's the thing...

Gaming has become so mainstream these days that I don't think we're as "hardcore" and "unique" as we think we are. I talk to people all the time who happen to know something about what I thought was hardcore.

For example, just last weekend, I was hanging out at a friend's place with a bunch of other friends. One girl, Christie, starts talking about how Splinter Cell is actually a stealth, third-person game while Halo is an action first-person-shooter. They then went on to talk about RPGs and how they're becoming action games.

Note: I was not directly involved in the conversation, and these were NOT what we would consider hardcare gamers.

People talking about / being interested in videogames is like people being into movies. While there are those who are into indie movies, there are those who are into bizarre import games. I don't think that makes them any more hardcore of a gamer these days. Similarly, I don't believe the hipster dude who only watches indie movies at the Angelika to be more hardcare than others. I just think he's closed-minded and should let a little stadium seating into his life every now and then.

I suppose what I'm saying is that we're not as "different" as we used to be. A lot more people read game reviews and check out gaming sites than you think. The notion that everyone except for you just goes to Toys R Us and buys whatever the poster tells them to buy is a bit off. Sure, there's always the media whore, but most people are smarter and more discretionary than you think, especially when it comes to plopping down $50 for a game.

• 2 weeks later...
We need to propose a new idea so that the game industry can overcome its current crisis
- in reference to Next Gen consoles

http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,637...tw=wn_tophead_4

We don't consider PSP to be a game machine, people will mostly watch movies on it
- in reference to whether Nintendo sees the PSP as a threat to gameboy. Sorry, this is not an exact quote, I can't find the source for the article I read yesterday

Hey, I am truly intrigued at what Nintendo's getting at with their next console. The DS proves that they're willing to take chances. Perhaps the Gamecube 2 will output to TWO TVs!!!

Regardless, I think it is a leap for them to qualify their chance-taking by saying that the industry is in crisis and that they will save it with their secret new console. It is mildly ironic that Nintendo is touting their next-gen console innovations when Sony and Microsoft have been far more innovative with hardware and services this generation IMO.