LCVG

Gamesnflix.com Experiences?

Josh

I've been a Netflix user for a while now, but I've longed for the ability to rent games.

I saw an ad for gamesnflix.com on TechTV a couple weeks ago, and the deal looks decent.

Has anyone tried this service yet? Is it a nightmare?

I saw an ad for gamesnflix.com on TechTV a couple weeks ago, and the deal looks decent.

Haven't tried it, but got turned off it when a shareholder of theirs started pimping it as a great service on another game board, then got called out when he hadn't actually tried it much as the dvd side hadn't launched, and was just pimping the service to boost his shares.

Originally posted by dogbert@May 27 2004, 07:50 AM

Haven't tried it, but got turned off it when a shareholder of theirs started pimping it as a great service on another game board, then got called out when he hadn't actually tried it much as the dvd side hadn't launched, and was just pimping the service to boost his shares.

Yeah, I noticed some unusual activity similar to that on several trading boards. I smell pump-and-dump, especially since it's currently a penny stock. Could be dangerous.

The attractive thing about it is that they have both dvds and games. Would be nice to be able to get a couple movies and a game each weekend.

Also looked into their distribution centers, and I fear I would be disappointed. I get my Netflix DVDs in a day.

As for Gamefly, I'm really not too keen on the notion of adding another monthly charge. If I could consolidate it all, great. Otherwise I'll just keep buying only the games I really want.

And yes, there is a Blockbuster nearby. I just can never return shit on time.

Also looked into their distribution centers, and I fear I would be disappointed. I get my Netflix DVDs in a day.

Same here, I've been spoiled by them opening a distribution centre in Coppell, the next time over from where I live. I stick a dvd in our mailbox at work, Netflix gets it the next day, mails out my next dvd, and I get it the day after. Two day turnaround time basically.

I'd love for netflix to offer a game rental service for a small (or no!) premium, and I know they've talked about it in the past.

I think though gamers rent games in a sufficiently different manner to the average dvd renter that would make it an expensive industry to launch into. With DVDs, you watch it & return it. It may take you a while to watch it, you may keep it & watch it more than once, but I suspect the "average" rental of a DVD from Netflix is fairly short (I'd love to see these stats) - say under a week.

With games, people are much more likely to hold onto a game until they finish it. That may take a week or two, and with certain games, I suspect much longer. That means Netflix needs a bigger library of games to rent out to keep games in stock for all users. I'd love to see how many copies of each game that GameFly or RedOctane has vs their sub base for example.

Originally posted by dogbert@May 27 2004, 10:37 AM

With games, people are much more likely to hold onto a game until they finish it. That may take a week or two, and with certain games, I suspect much longer. That means Netflix needs a bigger library of games to rent out to keep games in stock for all users. I'd love to see how many copies of each game that GameFly or RedOctane has vs their sub base for example.

Very good point, and probably the main reason that Netflix is sitting on that economic model and considering the possibilities of this loss-leader. The question is, at what point does it become profitable?

If say, every member rents two games a month for a premium of an extra say $5, and the game cost them $35 (considering averages and bulk discounts), they'd make their money back on that one game in about a year. Move the return time up and down and you see a not-so pretty financial picture.

The premium would probably need to be more than $5 a month to make it work unless they work out a better deal with the videogame publishers, which could be going on as we speak.

Who knows, but higher overhead + lower customer turnaround than DVDs doesn't make it an attractive notion.

Add to that all the customer service issues they'll have to deal with. Right now they just get the occasional lost DVD or scratched disk that won't play. Suddenly they'll have people calling up with DDEs, lost/messed up manuals, and a "lost" game costs them a lot more than a "lost" DVD.