LCVG

D-Skins

Chatakinns

I have seen these nifty little items at GameStop a few times and have been thinking about picking them up. I was wondering if anyone else uses them, and if so, what do you think ?

For those of you who don't know what they are, they are bought in a tin that has 5 per tin. You slip them over your game disc ( So far it seems as if only X-Box and PS2 are the right size ) and it protects the discs from scratches. They don't cost very much... about $5 or so per tin, and if they work like they are supposed to, I think they would be very worth the money.

I will try and find a link to them and post it here.

While I can see and understand the purpose of these, I tend to take care of my media in a more pre-emptive sort of manner. I always put my discs away straight into their cases. For me, there's not scratching problems with any of my games.

However, I'm also the only one in my household who plays, and I'm lucky to get a couple hours in a week. I can understand in another situation, say, like yours, in which there are multiple gamers playing at almost any hour, where such a product might make sense. During my ravenous weekend gaming sessions (which are way too rare these days), I must admit that I sometimes end up with ten discs splayed about the apartment amongst food, drinks, and other implements of deep relaxation. In such a situation, a disc condom just might be a good idea.

Originally posted by stencil@May 28 2004, 09:49 AM

In such a situation, a disc condom just might be a good idea.

I was just waiting on someone to call them that. :bang:

We take very good care of our discs too. But even so, they get teeny-tiny little scratches on them I guess from the console itself. I was wondering if these would help avoid that. Also, when we borrow games from someone, they would protect them from any accidents happening unexpectedly. No matter how careful you are, accidents can happen.

I wonder if they work on DVD's too ? Since we do loan some of ours out to certain people, this would help insure noffin was going to happen to our discs that leave in pristine condition.

Well you brought them up today and i got a pack free when i bought transformers for PS2 today at gamestop.

5 come in a pack usually for $5.99. They work on DVD's, Games, CD's, CD-R's and so forth. They snap onto the underside of the disc, and like mentioned you can play the media with them on. I am trying it at this moment with Transformers and they work perfectly find. A great idea, and i think if i can find a deal i may pick some more up for the rest of my games

capt

Originally posted by CaptDS9E@May 29 2004, 05:55 PM

You can put them on all your discs if you want to , and yes they are removable

capt

I did read on the link I posted that they might tear over time if you keep putting them on and removing them over and over. I think I will pick up a tin next time I am at GameStop and see for myself. Thanks Capt'n ! :tu:

• 1 year later...

I was lecturing my kids on the importance of taking care of our game disks, when I remembered I still had a couple of d_skins. I had bought them for xbox games, but our xboxen were prone to disk read errors, so we couldn't use them.

Now I tried them on the 360 disks, and they work fine. I'm a little worried though because the disks get kinda warm in the 360. Anyone come across any warnings not to use D_skins on 360 disks? Think it'll be okay?

Carlos.

• 2 weeks later...