LCVG

Driv3r's coming up

JohnEBGood

I'm going to move this to General Discussion, as Driv3r is a multi-platform game, and should garner some more attention in that forum. Feel free to continue discussion here.

Here is an article which raises some concerns over the game, and it's semi-completed state just before release this month.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55660

There are some valid concerns they raise in there.

Why is this a surprise? I have always thought GTA3 to be over rated. The on foot portions of the game are hideous. Looks like Driv3r is shaping up to be something similar. If you are going to have on foot gameplay than you better make the controls tight and not cumbersome.

I hate to say it but I almost want this game to fail. In the game industry you hype your product by releasing bits and pieces of information. You give an interview here, release a movie there, a few screen shots everywhere. What comes through to the consumer is an idea of the features you are most excited about in your new game. The articles should always read like the publication scored an interview with the developer -not like the developer's PR staff begged the publication for space.

I've been a bit irratated by the Driver 3 PR campaign (and not just because they use the '3' as an 'E' -which, admittedly, I do dispise as so overdone ;) ). The interviews remind me of the ones David Perry (of Shiny) would give. He would grant a publication "exclusive" inside info on his new game, arrogantly hype it as the most important game release of the last decade, and then do the same thing at the next publication. Perry knew pre-release hype was worth millions in advertising and would ensure his mediocre games would sell in grand numbers immediately upon release -he could get his sales before word-of-mouth set in.

I really hate to give the impression that I want Driver 3 to be bad. The pre-release hype in the gaming media has just left a bad taste in my mouth. I hope I'm reading into nothing and the game turns out to be fine...we could use a blockbuster of this potential right now.

I've seen lots of screenshots, but I haven't seen a whole lot of hype. Even so, I don't know why anyone would hope that any game would fail. (Okay, I admit a mobid fascination with hoping that Duke Nukem Forever turns out to be fantastic train wreck)

Driver is one of my all-time favorites, and one of the Playstation's best titles. I've been looking forward to Driver 3 for a long time, and I hope it's great. That said, the link above is one of the most brutal writeups I've ever read, and I'm approaching it with caution.

Okay, well I definitely hope this game doesn't fail, b/c I've been hyped for it for a long time now. We gotta remember that this game is called Driver. The on foot stuff porbably won't be as good as the actual driving sequences b/c that's not the real specialty of the game. I do look what I have seen so far, and i am really looking forward to it three weeks from now.