LCVG

Most confusing game you've ever played?

Was thinking about games and stories from the other thread and wanted to branch off (without hi-jacking that thread.) What's the most confusing game you have ever played? Could be the story, the interface, gameplay, or the entire game concept. Doesn't matter if you enjoyed it or not, just so long as it was damned confusing.

I put up Seaman as the first candidate. I don't know know how this game got greenlit, I don't know who they were selling it too, and I don't know what sanitarium they dragged the programmers from to complete it, but Seaman was a damn weird game. Fun, but extremely weird. Let's not even get into the namesake creature himself, who inexplicably in the game is also a huge bastard. This game confused the hell out of me, I still don't understand it.

I finally got around to playing Kingdom Hearts this weekend, and even though it's got a ton of Disney characters and looks like it should be for kids, I think it's one of the most confusing games I've ever played. To me it feels like they tried to put every possible Disney scenario they could into it, without much of a sense of direction. The story is literally all over the place.

And the gummi ships? I was honestly BAFFLED by them at first. The game throws you into the tutorial, and it's like, "Wait, is there one already made for me? Follow a blueprint? Huh? Place a piece like this... wait, why can't I do it? Why does it say I have zero parts, and then when I go to my inventory I have dozens? What the f*** is going on? Where do I go now?" Maybe I'm retarded, but I was completely lost for a while.

Another really confusing one was Disgaea, just because it's so deep and there's so much stuff you can do in it, and again, I don't think the game does a very good job of explaining it all.

I don't know what sanitarium they dragged the programmers from to complete it,

That'd be Jellyvision, the masterminds behind the You Don't Know Jack series.

Jellyvision is very big into experimenting with software and user communications, so it was a business as usual type of deal for them ;).

My confusing game would be the old SNES Chester Cheetah game, as I am unsure who the hell thought that was a good idea or even let it out the door :P.

And the gummi ships? I was honestly BAFFLED by them at first. The game throws you into the tutorial, and it's like, "Wait, is there one already made for me? Follow a blueprint? Huh? Place a piece like this... wait, why can't I do it? Why does it say I have zero parts, and then when I go to my inventory I have dozens? What the f*** is going on? Where do I go now?" Maybe I'm retarded, but I was completely lost for a while.

The Gummi-ships! I agree ChoiceStriker, what a dumb and confusing addition to the game. I spent way too much time trying to figure it all out, then gave up completely and used the default ship the entire game.

Most confusing game ever...storyline wise is hands down Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty. That story line was a pile of doo-doo.

-Dean-

LOL...agreed.

If we're including story I'd have to add about 90% of all Japanese RPGs. :)

I'd like to admit I have zero grasp of Super Smash Brothers (either game). I watch people playing with absolutely no idea of what the hell is happeining on screen. It's just random chaos.

Halfway agree, Camp. It's mostly random chaos ;).

SSB:M is just a flat-out brawl, that's it. The more players, the more insane the brawling gets, basically :tu:

Hmm, yes I am new here but I thought I would add my opinion, if you want to hear it.

Hey, always. New opinions are good. I haven't played enough of Myst to get the gist of it, but what I did play was definitely strange and odd. The series clearly has a mythos behind it, but I've never gotten it.

As for Kingdom Hearts, the storyline I don't find bad, and makes sense to me for the most part, though it's nothing exemplary (except the Aladdin section, w00t). The Gummi Ships are, yes, a total waste of programming time and effort. I don't want to tar with my brush here, but Square has a history of adding in pointless mini-games to all its RPGs (I think the nadir of this would be the marching mini-game for tv ratings in FF7).

Originally posted by Bobbio

out of this world I think that was the game was an old gennis game

What was so confusing about it? Was just a basic sidescrolling adventure type game no? I thought it was a fantastic game for its time (as was Flashback).

I thought it was a fantastic game for its time (as was Flashback).

Not on the SNES it wasn't, slow-down crippled it :).

I will say that Flashback is still a fanastic game period, I love that game. Very Prince of Persia-esque.

Out of this World does have a fairly non-developed story. I mean, there are hints about the world the protagonist ends up in, suggestions that it has some sort of class or caste system and slavery, etc. But it's not explained, dialogue does not exist, and the ending makes absolutely zero sense, like none. SPOILER! You fly away on a freakin' pterodactyl and may or may not live, some ending ;).

Honestly I never paid attention to the story in OOTW. I just thought "Oh man that characters animation is cool!". :) One of the first games to have lifelike animation controlled in realtime. Actually I dont even remember if I finished it or not. Actually I dont remember much about the game other than it looked cool, and at one point a lion chased me and I jumped over a ledge swinging on a rope or vine of some sort. Actually I dont remember much about my youth at all....

I forgot about MGS2, that was one heck of a confusing storyline. Great game up until Raiden is uhhh... sneaking around naked ... then it goes downhill really fast. The final dialogue by Solidus Snake had me waiting for him to pull out a little aluminum foil hat before the final fight.

I put up Seaman as the first candidate. I don't know know how this game got greenlit, I don't know who they were selling it too, and I don't know what sanitarium they dragged the programmers from to complete it, but Seaman was a damn weird game. Fun, but extremely weird. Let's not even get into the namesake creature himself, who inexplicably in the game is also a huge bastard. This game confused the hell out of me, I still don't understand it.

What's to understand? It's not a "game", it's a toy virtual pet with a speech interface (that works damn well). You feed the creatures, you talk to the creatures, the creature evolves. End of story ;)

And Jellyvision shouldn't really be credited with it - they handled the US port of it, but the actual game was developed by Vivarium, a Japanese team led by the guy who made SimTower a number of years ago.

Siren for the PS2 is my vote for the most confusing game. The interface was a mess, the chronology of the game is COMPLETELY focacta, and it's too f-ing hard.

For some reason I didn't have a problem with Disgaea. I thought the set up was brilliant. My problem with it is that I barely have time to solve games that take 7 hours to beat let alone TWO HUNDRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Pharmboy@Jun 8 2004, 09:24 PM

Out of this World does have a fairly non-developed story. I mean, there are hints about the world the protagonist ends up in, suggestions that it has some sort of class or caste system and slavery, etc. But it's not explained, dialogue does not exist, and the ending makes absolutely zero sense, like none. SPOILER! You fly away on a freakin' pterodactyl and may or may not live, some ending ;).

what he said plus the controlls were stiff