LCVG

Dead or Alive Ultimate

Romier S

Read Gamespot gush about Dead or Alive Ultimate:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/doaonl...ew_6102275.html

The short version is that both DOA and DOA2 are playable online, but Itagaki and his team weren't satisfied with just including a versus mode and the standard Xbox Live game options. In talking with Itagaki, it became clear that he and the team miss the intimate experience of going into an arcade and competing with other players. The team's goal with DOAU is to offer players a virtual arcade experience that builds out on the standard online versus mode. The question of how to bring an experience like that to players via Xbox Live weighed heavily on the team during the game's development and has led them to a very novel solution: Basically, while your core experience is still one-on-one fighting, you can get groups of up to eight players together to fight with, cheer the match on, or just talk smack.

Now, about your grades. As we mentioned earlier, DOAU will feature a UPS file that tracks data on everything you do in the game. As you play through DOAU, you'll start to earn a grade level (E, D, C, B, A, S, SS) based on how you do. Your grade will serve to identify your skill level, branding you as everything from noob to badass extraordinaire, and it'll give you a way to find players to compete against that are at your level of expertise.

To say that we were impressed by what we saw of Dead or Alive Ultimate would be an understatement--our expectations going into the meeting were met, and then some. Team Ninja's approach toward taking the game online is incredibly smart. The ability to pull together a group of folks to play against and to watch is just awesome. The group experience offered by DOAU is probably the closest thing today's gamers are going to have to the arcade experience many of us grew up with when Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, and Tekken machines drew mobs of quarter-bearing aspirants

Can't freaking wait for this. The implementation of the online mode sounds absolutely killer. With Guilty Gear XX#Reload coming along with this :thud: .

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team Ninja is the hottest game developer right now. Anything they touch is gold.

That's a bit strong considering they've released two games in the last two & a half years.

And one thing odd about that hands-on experience - it's not really fair to evaluate it as a good demo of online play when the people you're playing against are in the same office ;) I've seen that happen a few times with online games getting previewed.

Looks good, but I'm still not convinced I want to play online fighters with the great unwashed after all the reports of bad players on SNKvsCapcom etc. There's a lot of scum out there.

And one thing odd about that hands-on experience - it's not really fair to evaluate it as a good demo of online play when the people you're playing against are in the same office I've seen that happen a few times with online games getting previewed.

Exactly why I chose to not to bother focusing on that aspect in my highlighted quotes. I'm much more interested at the moment with the "virtual arcade" style game modes Team Ninja is attempting to pull off. I remember a few folks here wanting something similiar implemented in a previous thread and well..here we are! Should be a blast if pulled off properly.

Looks good, but I'm still not convinced I want to play online fighters with the great unwashed after all the reports of bad players on SNKvsCapcom etc. There's a lot of scum out there.

Understandable but the same could be said of any online game really. Filth and scum are unfortunately a reality of online gaming. You youself said it best Brian, the worst part of online gaming is the people (ie general masses) ;) . I guess I'm more the glass half full type of guy in that regard. No matter what, I know I have a good group of folks on my friends list that I can depend on for some good competitive games so thats a bit of comfort if anything.

Of course it could just be my need to have Virtua Fighter Online that drives my want of online fighting games. I yet again reiterate if that were happen I would be in serious danger of losing my job. :lol:

I like the idea of being graded by how well you do. Rather than see it as a punishment for doing poorly, I can easily see myself using it to find those of similar skill so that my sessions on Xbox Live do not all involve the complete annihilation of my ass.

That, and the boobies are nice. :D

Thats what the LCVG gaming crew is for.

Oh and I'm with you Romier, this game is gonna RAWK!

That's a bit strong considering they've released two games in the last two & a half years.

Absolutely! I meant to overstate. I am so impressed with this team. Many people disagree, DOA3 is still my favorite 3D fighting game (yes, more than SCII). It is IMHO still the best looking videogame on the market. Don't get me wrong, I don't really play the game any longer, but I am so impressed by this game. Then Ninja Gaiden, which is the best game I've played in years. Both the recent NG downloadable content announcement and the DOAU previews raise Team Ninja's stock further in my eyes.

So yeah, I am a little enthusiastic about Team Ninja. Just like I think the next Zelda will be great, based on history, I think that Ninja Gaiden 2 and DOA4 will be great. As always, everyone's tastes are different. Many people hate NG and many people didn't even buy the last Zelda. Just let me be giddy for a bit.

Originally posted by dogbert@Jul 9 2004, 10:23 PM

...which is why you people are the only folks I play online games with. I played SNK/Capcom online once and got my ass handed to me by some guy who chose Shin-Akuma and cheaped me to death. He was the only opponent I could find online.

Playing this game with you folks is the only reason I'd buy this game. As good as it looks and in spite of all the bells and whistles that were added, my favorite characters from the series are Christie, Brad Wong, and Hitomi, none of whom appear in this game. I'm competent enough with the 12 characters in this game but I've had my ass handed to me plenty of times by people playing Kasumi and mashing the punch button. This game doesn't cater to people like me who actually try to memorize some moves instead of typing random dial-a-combos into my controller. :x

THat being said, once SoulCalibur goes online, you're all dead. :D

Originally posted by merlot@Jul 14 2004, 01:27 PM

And yes, forget the unwashed... we got LCVG. :tu:

You're preaching to the choir -- I bathe once a month whether I need it or not.

I had little interest in the title until I saw how they're trying to bring the arcade experience to Live. It looks very interesting and looks very analogous to the times I had the most fun with games like SoulCalibur, DOA and UFC -- a bunch of people watching the match and swapping the controllers.

-j

Originally posted by RingWraith@Jul 21 2004, 07:37 AM

According to Gamespot Hitomi has been added to the game as well. They have a video of her in the link. So now we have DOA 3 characters apperaing in Ultimate. :tu:

-Dean-

I hope they include Christie as well. :D

(She was a new arrival for DOA3, wasn't she? I never played anything in the series prior to that game, but haven't seen her in any of the screenshots for Ultimate yet).

Originally posted by RingWraith@Jul 21 2004, 07:37 AM

According to Gamespot Hitomi has been added to the game as well.

Muahahahahahahaaaaaaaa... :twisted: You're all dead.

I'm willing to bet this game will have extra characters available as DLC... then again maybe not because the downloads for each character will have to be enormous to support the character models, costumes, and move animations.

I'm willing to bet this game will have extra characters available as DLC... then again maybe not because the downloads for each character will have to be enormous to support the character models, costumes, and move animations.

Unless of course they're already on the disc & you just download different costumes (ie just some textures). It'd be relatively easy to get a new char to use a standard set of anims - just build the character skeleton to match the "standard". That's how a lot of alternative characters are done in the likes of Soul Calibur & Tekken, remember. Different model/skin, same move set.

Itagaki will be appearing on G4TechTV's Icon series on Aug. 5:

Tomonobu Itagaki, creator of the Dead or Alive series, gives Icons an exclusive first look tour of the Team Ninja offices as we take a look back on the genesis of DOA, the busty babes of DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball, and what's in store for the future with the upcoming Dead or Alive Ultimate.

Originally posted by dogbert@Jul 21 2004, 10:45 AM

Unless of course they're already on the disc & you just download different costumes (ie just some textures). It'd be relatively easy to get a new char to use a standard set of anims - just build the character skeleton to match the "standard". That's how a lot of alternative characters are done in the likes of Soul Calibur & Tekken, remember. Different model/skin, same move set.

You got a point there... however Brad Wong and Christie would hardly be considered palette swaps.

In light of this Hurricane pack that Tecmo's doing for Ninja Gaiden then one or two characters and some clothes shouldn't be a problem. Of course I don't know the technical crap because the fartherst I've gone with game programming is 2D stuff.

• 1 month later...

Remember it's TWO games, not one. Even if the first game is just a port of the Saturn Dead or Alive.

I can't believe some of you guys aren't excited about the first 3D fighter playable online! Especially with the Arcade mode where you can watch your friends kicking the shit out of each other. Then rate their match, and hop right in to fight the winner!

This is one of the titles I'm looking forward to most this year. I have no problem paying 55$ for a game. Hell, I paid the same amount for Doom3, and I'm not planning on playing that online ever. At least with DOA:U, I can play against my friends, offline and on, plus I get the added bonus of a great fighting game. :)

Chris,

I'm excited (I even imported the original Saturn game back in the day, before the PS1 version was available...I don't think the Saturn original EVER came out domestically).

I still think the Saturn game looked better than the PS1 one.

But...alas, too many games this fall. So I'll wait a bit. I'm taking the $20 option for Guilty Gear, and I'll also be busy with Burnout, Battlefront, Halo 2, Donkey Konga, etc.

If this game came out in June I would have bought it the day it shipped.

• 1 month later...

So, is this game a port of the Saturn DoA? Upgraded graphics (or at least resolution)? And DoA2? I've no desire to go online with my Xbox (can't afford or justify the Live expense, unfortunately) so is the same basic 1 player or at least multiplayer on the same console still intact? I've got DoA for the PS1 (which is hard to look at) and DoA2 Hardcore for the PS2 (and of course DoA3!) so would there be much value to me buying this if I'm going online?

Originally posted by marsrunner@Oct 9 2004, 03:29 AM

So, is this game a port of the Saturn DoA? Upgraded graphics (or at least resolution)? And DoA2? I've no desire to go online with my Xbox (can't afford or justify the Live expense, unfortunately) so is the same basic 1 player or at least multiplayer on the same console still intact? I've got DoA for the PS1 (which is hard to look at) and DoA2 Hardcore for the PS2 (and of course DoA3!) so would there be much value to me buying this if I'm going online?

The environments are different enough to warrant the purchase even if you're not going online. I can almost guarantee that each character will also have more moves. The story modes for each character are also far more elaborate. The inclusion of Hitomi also adds a new element to the mix because she's not a cheap palette swap of any of the other characters; she has some serious ring-out potential and she's pretty fast.

I wouldn't call the single player version of DOAU "intact" only because of all the stuff added to it. It almost warrants being calld Dead or Alive 4.