LCVG

Saw

Romier S

For those that have not heard of it, Saw is a new horror/thriller film being released by Lions Gate in the fall (September is the tentative date). The films was shown at Cannes and was pretty much given fantastic word of mouth reviews. I am absolutely tripping over myself with anticipation for this to release. (for those not in the know I am a HUGE horror/slasher etc. fan)

First time director James Wan brings this bad boy to the screen with co-writer Leigh Whannell. The movie stars Danny Glover and Cary Elwes (who I've enjoyed in just about everything I've seen him in.). You can check out the new trailer (along with the old one) for the film here:

How fucked up is that?

^^

Indeed!

Lions Gate being attached to most any film makes me run in fear

They are just handling distribution as far as I can tell (theatrical and home video etc.). The films been done for quite a while now and it was lucky to get picked up at all from what I've read (which I'm most grateful for :tu: ).

• 3 months later...

If you want to see a dark, gritty, gruesome, tense, sick, and greatly disturbing movie, please check out Saw as soon as you can.

I don't like to know much about movies before I walk into them, so I won't say much until other people have seen it, but I was very impressed. This one gets the Starhawk seal of approval. :tu:

So basically, Im telling you to go see Saw because I just saw Saw. :)

P.S. If you go to the movies this Halloween with Horror in mind, please, please don't waste your time on The Grudge. Comparing these two movies is a joke.

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Oct 27 2004, 10:31 PM

You know Cameron, there is a seach function. (just messing with ya ;) )

I went ahead and merged your topic with my own. Really looking forward to seeing it this week :tu: .

LOL! I totally missed this ;)

BTW, Romier, I will go ahead and tell you that you will fucking love this movie.

Maybe I just couldn't get into it or something, but I really didn't care for this movie. There's a fine line between good jump-scare horror and (unwitting self-)parody, to me it consistently fell on the wrong side of that line. I also found the stylistic elements of the film really taking me out of the narrative. You can speed up film, ok, we get it, and it's neither visually interesting, nor frightening, especially not the twentieth time you use it. The acting, even from pros like Glover and Elwes, is startlingly bad in places. Despite flashbacks and repetitive exposition a-plenty, I felt no real emotional connection to most of the characters. The premise is good, this movie had potential...but it fell flat.

The acting, even from pros like Glover and Elwes, is startlingly bad in places.

I agree with you on this. Especially from Elwes.

I read one review recently that described this movie as a cross between Se7en, Cube, and Phone Booth. I guess including Cube to that list explains the acting! ;)

You can speed up film, ok, we get it, and it's neither visually interesting, nor frightening, especially not the twentieth time you use it.

I didnt seem to notice an overuse of this, probably because I thought it fit well into the film. The one time it did stand out though was at the very end where they go a little crazy (which I think also fit as they were building to the final climax.)

Haven't seen it yet, and probably won't until it hits DVD, but I did pick up the soundtrack over the weekend. The score was done by Charlie Clouser of Nine Inch Nails fame, and it is very well done. Good use of Industrial music combined with some traditional music score elements. Highly recommended. :tu:

-Dean-

I saw this about a month ago in the UK and I thought it'd be a good date movie, unfortunately we found it more funny then scarey, the end is cool but overall it falls too much on the funny side. I'll proably watch it again with some friends, it seems we'd enjoy it more as a group.

Originally posted by SeriousCrayon@Nov 3 2004, 07:07 PM

I saw this about a month ago in the UK and I thought it'd be a good date movie, unfortunately we found it more funny then scarey, the end is cool but overall it falls too much on the funny side. I'll proably watch it again with some friends, it seems we'd enjoy it more as a group.

I read a few reviews that said some people laughed during the movie too. The crowd I saw it with was pretty silent, including us. I think I could see some of the humor, especially in Elwes acting here and there, but I thought the movie was too dark and grusome to generate any laughter.

I thnk this looks like a great movie.

However I hate movie theaters..... I will wait for the DVD.

My home theater sounds better than most movie theaters :lol:

And I can watch it naked if I feel the need to (I know, I know.....you all really didn't need that tidbit of info but I like to share :lmfao: )

• 5 weeks later...

Romier, i had been meaning to PM you to find out what you thought about it. And, yes, I do agree with you on some of the acting (especially Elwes).

Compared to what most people have said about this movie, (not only here, but other places and reviews) I was suprised as to how much I liked it compared to how many people absolutly hated it!