LCVG

Doom III impressions (No spoilers please)

Cyberwoo

Anyone manage to get an early copy of Doom III yet? I'd like to see your impressions thus far. Also since this game is such a hardware pusher it would be nice if everyone would post their PC setups along with what resolution/detail you are running the game in.

My Gamestop isn't selling it til the official release date of Aug 4th. I'll no doubt post my impressions then. :)

Edit: Just wanted to point out that spoilers from the actual gameplay of Doom III should be directed to the Gameplay Discussion thread. I modified the title of this thread to reflect that. Carry on. ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shall have it tommorrow!

I wont be home until 10:30pm then I'll be installing and playing. Can't wait to check it out. In anticipation I finally got around to playing another "advanced" shooter; FarCry. I wasn't exactly high on the game when I bought it and actually considered returning the game for credit, but over the past few days I've gotten into the lab areas of the game and well...I'm SMITTEN! It really picks up as you move along and its makes for great "prep" for Doom III.

Originally posted by DrunkOM+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrunkOM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Haven't played it yet, but HardOCP has a very nice Hardware guide comparing how the game looks and plays on all sorts of hardware.[/b]

Thanks. Ya I saw that earlier. Pretty in depth analysis.

<!--QuoteBegin-FutureVoid

In anticipation I finally got around to playing another "advanced" shooter; FarCry.

Ya I'm playing through Farcry as well. Its the first pc game I've played in years (I used to be a hardcore pc gamer) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Got it installed an played for about an hour. The game set me up for Medium Quality at 640x480. I bumped it up to 800x600 which smoothed the graphics out nicely and it's completely playable, but I've just gotten into the action.

I'm running Athlon 2500+, Radeon 9600 Pro (128MB), 512MB RAM.

Impressions so far really quick. Very nice graphics, although some textures are still pretty blurry, and all the bump mapping gives everything a sort of carved plasticy look which is a complaint I've had since seeing early SS of the game. The lighting is quite impressive though.

The beginning is quite a bit like Half Life, although not quite as long. Some of the voice acting even sounds very similar. Once the action starts, there's guys popping out at you all over, much like the old Doom. The Imps are fucking cool, can't wait to see the Pinky Demon.

My biggest complaint though is the Animation. It just doesn't seem that good. Movement seems a tad sped up, and it's just not as natural as I'd like to see.

Can't wait to explore more though!

Once the action starts, there's guys popping out at you all over, much like the old Doom.

Are you fighting hordes of baddies or is it fight 1 or 2 really strong guys through a few rooms. Then 1 or 2 really strong guys again over and over as you progress?

I realize there isn't going to be anything like opening a door to a huge room with dozens of baddies in it but I'm hoping you have to deal with more than 1 or 2 creatures at a time.

I'll have my new pc built by tomorrow and should be able to get some doom time in on thursday or friday. My 5.1 speakers should be here today though so I'll be able to hang and wire them tonight. I can't wait!

Are you fighting hordes of baddies or is it fight 1 or 2 really strong guys through a few rooms.

So far it's just 1-3 guys, but I'm not really that far in so it could pick up a bit and I'm only playing on normal difficulty. I'd assume too many guys would start to get rather choppy for me though.

I agree about the PDA, it's a good device for telling some of the back story, getting clues, and "keys" to doors. Having the animation when you open the PDA is a nice touch that helps with the immersion as well.

I've got to get my ass back to Mars.

/Arnold SEE YOU AT THE PAHTEE RICHTA! /Arnold Off

...it awaits installation as soon as I get home. 8) I must say I'm completely impressed with how well the game supposedly runs. Was taking a look at some screenies over at Rage3d from folks with my vid card and similiar specs playing the game at High Detail settings 1024X768 and pushing upwards of 40-50 FPS average (Fraps and in-game read outs). The engine looks to be another amazing accomplishment by Carmack and co.

I scare easily.

This game is fucking freaking me out man.

I've got the 5.1 sound kicking it, I'm relaxing, enjoying the hell out of it. But I have jumped about 5 times since I started playing it. And something just happened where I dropped my mouse, hit ESC and quit out of the game.

I scare easily.

This game is fucking freaking me out man.

I'll second that emotion.

There have already been 3 or 4 occasions where I jumped back from the keyboard.

I'm probably going to have to take a few days off as I move, but I'll be back at it by the weekend.

Glen

I have no problems running it. I am running with ultra high quality settings @ 1024X768.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Ultra high quality" is meant for 512MB of RAM on your video card. And to my knowledge, the ATI 9800 Pro doesnt have 512MB of RAM.

I also find it interesting that my machine is specced higher than yours, yet high quality settings cause chop at 1024x768..

*Testing now*

Well what do ya know? Those settings do work. It's not as smooth as I'd hope it'd be, and for some reason the lighting and such looks better on Medium quality, plus there's a noticeable pause when entering a new room, but it does seem semi playable at those settings.

I've found the sweet spot for me is High Detail at 800x600. So far, VERY playable, and smooth. I also Turned Vsync ON (or was it OFF?) to alleviate any "tearing" that was occuring. SLowed it down a tad, but not that much.

Unfortunately for me, I'll one of those guys that has to wait on the Xbox version. :(

Anyhoo, I've read a few impressions on other websites where most people seem to be saying the same positive things about the graphics, sound and atmosphere. BUT, I've also ran across a number of people saying that there is next to no AI. That the demons just come straight at you and they always know exactly where you are, in any given level, all the time. That sounds like old Doom.

Can anyone comment on how "smart" the AI seems to be?

Originally posted by Ruffneck@Aug 3 2004, 12:13 AM

I have no problems running it. I am running with ultra high quality settings @ 1024X768.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but "Ultra high quality" is meant for 512MB of RAM on your video card. And to my knowledge, the ATI 9800 Pro doesnt have 512MB of RAM.

I also find it interesting that my machine is specced higher than yours, yet high quality settings cause chop at 1024x768..

*Testing now*

Well what do ya know? Those settings do work. It's not as smooth as I'd hope it'd be, and for some reason the lighting and such looks better on Medium quality, plus there's a noticeable pause when entering a new room, but it does seem semi playable at those settings.

I've found the sweet spot for me is High Detail at 800x600. So far, VERY playable, and smooth. I also Turned Vsync ON (or was it OFF?) to alleviate any "tearing" that was occuring. SLowed it down a tad, but not that much.

As i played more, I did notice a slight pause when opening doors. Nothing that bothered me. I may try to tone it down and see how I like those settings. The only difference I noticed between the high and ultra high is the screen size. I am pretty sure antialiasing and vert sync are off on both.

....if i do the auto test thing, it puts me at medium settings. It just didn't feel right playing at 800 x 600. I'll experiment more.

Well I just played for an hour or so. Initial thoughts:

#1) Graphics are nice (nice lighting, nice detailed environments, etc) but not as good as I was expecting I guess. I'm running @ 1024x768 with high detail setting. It looks really nice but I have some issues. Gun models are crap, his hand models are crap and the flashlight looks all blocky n wierd. *shrug* IMO there are other games out there that do better in some of the areas that Doom III lacks in graphically. I was expecting everything in this game to look stellar.

#2) Nice sounds. Creates a creepy atmosphere.

#3) Excellent interface. I really like how you can walk up to a computer terminal and interact with it as well as the PDA feature. Very nice touch.

#4) Hmm the animation is lacking. Other games have done much better (Farcry comes to mind). Granted these are deamon possesed creatures so its hard to tell how'd they actually move but everything seems a bit jerky n twitchy.

#5) Gameplay is nothing new which is no surprise. Hunt for PDA's (otherwise known as glorified keys), kill a few bad guys, repeat.

#6) Weapons are crap so far. They all seem to underpowered and wimpy. I'm sure this is to balance gameplay since you are not encountering hords of monsters but this just doesn't feel like Doom without a double barrell badass shotgun blast. Maybe the weapons get better as I encounter bigger and badder creatures. I sure hope so. Oh and the grenades are like wtf. You throw it and you can hardly tell if it went off. No big booms of any kind by any of the weapons so far. :(

I exit out after an hour of gameplay feeling a bit underwhelmed I guess. I was expecting the next great single player FPS but what I have so far hasn't really grabbed me. IMO the first hour of System Shock 2 (which I would compare the atmosphere and feel to so far) was better and more intruiging. However I'm expecting the game to get better as I progress. I have a feeling this has all been training for some badass encounters. Man I really hope so...

I know ID promised a great single player experience and I have no doubt the game will provide some cool moments but I cant help but keep saying to myself how much I'm looking forward to other companies to use the game engine for better things.

I was expecting the next great single player FPS

There's your problem right there. You should be waiting for Half-Life 2.

Since when has id Software ever made a great single player game? Their strengths lie in engine creation and multiplayer.

I fully expect Doom3 to be remembered as a great engine, that will get years of use, much like the Q3A engine, being utilized in a great many games.

As it stands, it's a scary as hell FPS with phenomenal graphics, and not much more than that.

That being said, I love the game so far. Great sound and atmosphere. Weapons feel just right for me, and the models look very nice.

Oh I know ID's track record and where their strengths lie (multiplayer and kickass 3d engines) but with all the hype, all the resources they have, and all the focus they were puting on single player I guess I was expecting ID to do something different then the usual. I guess now that I reflect on the game it stands on its own as a very good single player FPS with kickass graphics and loads of atmosphere. That alone makes it an enjoyable experience and different from their usual games.

Dont get me wrong people. Doom III kicks ass. I just think I had unrealistic expectations due to years of hype, screenshots, etc. I know that once I clear my mind of all expectations and play the game in the right settings (tonight with the lights off and sound cranked) I will be engrosed in what will probably wind up being one of the most memorable games I've played in recent memory. I'm very much looking forward to playing through this game and I hear its quite lengthy for a FPS too so thats something to look forward to.

Originally posted by Ruffneck

You should be waiting for Half-Life 2.

Oh trust me...I am. Heck I already have my copy paid for. :)