Obnoxious

Which game will sell the best?  

1. 1. Which game will sell the best?

• Halo 2
    • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
    • Gran Turismo 4
    • Half Life 2
    • Doom 3

North America only? Over lifetime or the first year or what?

Lifetime, Half Life 2 has a strong chance if it has the lifecycle of the first game (but I doubt it will). Doom 3 will be a strong seller but won't sell 6million+ copies. Both games suffer from being PC games with fairly high demands - not necessarily cutting edge, but still definitely aimed at gamers instead of say The Sims that crosses boundaries.

GT4 is in a similiar position - it'll sell a great number, but the last title hasn't beaten the previous GTA games, I doubt it'll start to with this one that has much more competition.

Halo 2 & GTA:SA will come close, I think people are underestimating the potential of the next game because of Rockstar's typical low key marketing - they're doing more interviews this time round, but still nowhere near as much as Bungie are doing with Halo2's online campaign, weekly updates etc. Different companies, different styles - GTA most definitely crosses over to the mainstream to the point where you have skits about it on the Chappelle Show. It will fly off the shelves & sell millions upon millions.

As will Halo 2.

GTA:SA has a greater potential market though - 25 million vs 10 million right now. There's around 7.5 million copies of Vice City floating around for the PS2 & XBox right now vs 3.9 million copies of Halo.

I see hyperbole like "I wouldn't be surprised if it is the best selling game of all time by the time xbox 2 launches." in reference to Halo 2 & it boggles the mind - people just genuinely don't seem to appreciate the sales of some games in the past. There are games out there that make Vice City's sales look subpar...

Anyway, I voted GTA:SA to few people's suprise I imagine. I think it'll edge it long term, particularly when you add another million or so when it undoubtedly launches on the Xbox.

Originally posted by dogbert@Aug 19 2004, 08:24 PM

North America only? Over lifetime or the first year or what?

I was going to be more specific after reading the first line of your post, but then I realized you answered your own question. So I'll just leave the poll as it is. It's just a general question.

I see hyperbole like "I wouldn't be surprised if it is the best selling game of all time by the time xbox 2 launches." in reference to Halo 2 & it boggles the mind - people just genuinely don't seem to appreciate the sales of some games in the past. There are games out there that make Vice City's sales look subpar...

People who think Halo 2 will be the Best-Seeling Game Of All-Time really are nothing but fanboys with their heads straight up their asses. :)

Great post Brian.

-Dean-

Well,if you are talking worldwide,than GTA's next game will easily be the winner. The PS2 has a much bigger base on systems in gaming houses - & (as much as I hate to say it) hip-hop is king these days.

Now,in MY household & in my world of friends- Halo 2 wins hands down.Period.

Yes, GTA with little doubts.

Like what? No sarcasm intended, I actually want to know.

Found this on Rotten Tomatoes forums. Poster said it was from GameState magazine...I never heard of it...anyway, here are the numbers. BTW, these are from last year.

Brian,

Are these accurate?

1. "Super Mario Bros." for NES: 40 Million Units

2. "Tetris" for Gameboy: 33 Million Units

3. "Super Mario Bros. 3" for NES: 18 Million Units

4. "Super Mario World" for SNES: 17 Million Units

5. "Super Mario Land" for Gameboy: 14 Million Units

6. "Super Mario 64" for N64: 11 Million Units

7. "The Sims" for PC: 10 Million Units

8. "Super Mario Bros. 2" for NES: 10 Million Units

9. "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" for PS2: 8.5 Million Units

10. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" for PSX: 8 Million Units

11. "GoldenEye" for N64: 8 Million Units

12. "Donkey Kong Country" for SNES: 8 Million Units

13. "Super Mario Kart" for SNES: 8 Million Units

14. "Pokemon Red/Blue" for Gameboy: 8 Million Units

15. "Half-Life" for PC: 8 Million Units

16. "Tomb Raider II" for PSX: 8 Million Units

17. "Final Fantasy VII" for PSX: 7.8 Million Units

18. "Myst" for PC: 7 Million Units

19. "Gran Turismo 3" for PS2: 7 Million Units

20. "Dragon Warrior VII" for PS2: 6 Million Units

-Dean-

I know you're partly serious and you have good reason to be.

Oh, I was totally serious actually :).

I enjoyed the Sims, though it did stagnate after a while.

However, let's be blunt, The Sims has something no other game has, and that's cross-gender appeal. Women enjoy the game and that alone lets it hit a higher demographic than almost any other title. Of all the titles coming, it's the one I'd put my money on.

Oh, and I would presume those numbers are probably accurate, Dean. I mean, we all know Tetris sold GameBoys, rather than vice-versa ;).

I enjoyed the Sims, though it did stagnate after a while.

OT, but I only enjoyed the Sims for a short period, maybe 2 weeks. The novelty was fantastic, but it soon became a real chore to wash, feed, rest my character, etc. And time moved too fast. Did they change this in later Sims iterations?

Not sure about the time, but I do believe you were able to get many more devices to make life simpler (again, OT, sorry).

When I got the picture importer that let you stuff jpg's in as photographs I got a lot of mileage from that, although I may have overstated the popularity of anime wallscrolls :green:

I ask unanimous consent to revise and extend my remarks. <pauses> "without objection" <-- that's for the CSpan junkies out there.

I know the question isn't asked in this way, but if you express the number of games sold as a percentage of consoles for playing it, wouldn't Halo win?

GTA:SA has a greater potential market though - 25 million vs 10 million right now. There's around 7.5 million copies of Vice City floating around for the PS2 & XBox right now vs 3.9 million copies of Halo.

Okay, so 7.5 /25 = 30% of consoles for playing GTA have it. 3.9/10 = 39% of consoles for Halo 2 have it. Woohoo, Halo wins! [/fanboy]

Ah, the numbers are soo relaxed after that nice massage. ;)

Carlos.

I predict GTA San Andreas will outsell Halo 2. The more people complain about the violence in GTA:SA, the more it'll sell.

But it won't outsell Halo 2 by much!!!! :P

GT4 will sell decent numbers only because it's Gran Turismo. However I gotta admit I saw a demo of it in EB and all I gotta say is there must be software in that disc to overclock the PS2, because it looks PHENOMENAL.

Probably GTA as there are a lot more Ps2 systems out there. . However i dont think there is a Xbox owner out there who wont pick up Halo 2 up. Heck a lot of people own xbox just for Halo. At our gamestop at least there are double the ammount of Halo reserves as there are for GTA . Dosnt mean much as its one place but it is intresting

capt