LCVG

3 hours ago, Magness said:

Haley is 27 now and has a good job, lives outside London in a crappy flat

Wait, you moved to England.  But are you originally from there?  Just wondering if you're a Brit, or if you are an American who speaks funny.

Heh :) no, American born in TX but lived in Colorado for the most part and we moved to England 12 years ago now. We have permanent residence for the UK now and I’ll probably go for dual-citizenship next year.

Texas,  Colorado,  UK. All very different places!  For the fun of it,... Rank'em!

Fair enough, for me it’s the UK then Colorado then Texas.

And for Keith - if I didn’t call it a flat, she’d give me shit over it (and call me a Yank) :)

• Like 3

I don't really have any fascinating updates to share, alas.

I was hired by an online travel guide startup out of college.  Eighteen and a half years later (!), I'm still here, although we've changed hands a few times, so now I get to say that I'm a senior software engineer for USA TODAY.  Still live in the Upstate of South Carolina.

• Like 2

Still working IT for BigOil, still loving it. I'm changing departments in June from the deepwater drilling group back to centralized IT, because that's where all the action is now with Cloud Computing.

I'll be in more of a consulting role than purely technical, and that suits me just fine.  My focus will still be in data management,  probably to facilitate moves from Oracle to SQL server. Since we're moving toward 100% in bed with Microsoft now. 

I'm trying to put myself on a 7-8 year plan for retirement with a big fat pension and a hearty 401k.  Anyone else starting to dream of retirement?

Carlos.

• Like 3

Man, switching jobs in my company feels like the smartest thing I've done in a long time.

They were bereft of an experienced Oracle guy, so along with my other duties, I've become the "pro from Dover" on Oracle problems.  So far, I've been extremely lucky with my recommendations and have optimized and tuned some database processes into order-of-magnitude improvements.  The people here think I'm a freakin' genius! I just hope my luck  doesn't run out.

I'm loving it.  So busy, but not bored, and that's what I was looking for.  

Carlos.

P.S.  In case you didn't get the "pro from Dover" reference... (and you definitely should!) nsfw language....

Carlos.

• Like 3