LCVG

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I might as well do an update.   Despite this being an awful year thanks to COVID, a year and a half or so later I'm happy to report that I was offered a promotion just before I went on vacat

Scored a gig!   Sr E-Commerce Data Analyst for a major retailer here in the south/southeast.  Going from Big Oil, to Big 2A, as they are a major seller of firearms and ammo, so I still get t

Started a new job almost a year ago still doing software development, I am the lead mobile dev for a three year-old startup based out of Seattle area. I handle both the iOS and Android versions of our

I don't really have any fascinating updates to share, alas.

I was hired by an online travel guide startup out of college.  Eighteen and a half years later (!), I'm still here, although we've changed hands a few times, so now I get to say that I'm a senior software engineer for USA TODAY.  Still live in the Upstate of South Carolina.

Still working IT for BigOil, still loving it. I'm changing departments in June from the deepwater drilling group back to centralized IT, because that's where all the action is now with Cloud Computing.

I'll be in more of a consulting role than purely technical, and that suits me just fine.  My focus will still be in data management,  probably to facilitate moves from Oracle to SQL server. Since we're moving toward 100% in bed with Microsoft now. 

I'm trying to put myself on a 7-8 year plan for retirement with a big fat pension and a hearty 401k.  Anyone else starting to dream of retirement?

Carlos.

• 2 months later...

Man, switching jobs in my company feels like the smartest thing I've done in a long time.

They were bereft of an experienced Oracle guy, so along with my other duties, I've become the "pro from Dover" on Oracle problems.  So far, I've been extremely lucky with my recommendations and have optimized and tuned some database processes into order-of-magnitude improvements.  The people here think I'm a freakin' genius! I just hope my luck  doesn't run out.

I'm loving it.  So busy, but not bored, and that's what I was looking for.  

Carlos.

P.S.  In case you didn't get the "pro from Dover" reference... (and you definitely should!) nsfw language....

Carlos.

• 1 year later...

Well, well, what a difference a year makes.   I'm getting laid off effective 12/14.  BigOil is outsourcing its entire DBA function to a managed service provider.  (offshored)

They did a massive re-org of the whole IT function in the entire enterprise, and basically just posted ALL the jobs internally and allowed everyone to apply to up to 4 jobs.  Incumbents naturally had the advantage for their own job, but those like me whose job is going away had to hope that we were applying for a job with no incumbent (hard to know in a place this big).  Then, instead of interviewing and networking for the job (which they absolutely forbade), they assigned everyone a "sponsor" who would go into the room and try to write your name on the big board.  Problem was my sponsor was in california, we had never met or worked together, and she knew absolutely nothing about me and my reputation of excellence. We had to give our sponsors a 1 page summary of our career, skills, and the reason why we would be good for the applied-for jobs. That was it.  My entire 30-yr career with BigOil on a single page.  Impossible!  (not to mention my mother-in-law was dying, in my house, during this whole event.)

Long story short I didn't make the cut.  Every one of my internal customers have expressed their shock and anger that I wasn't selected, but there's no hope.  Maybe a small chance the managed service provider will try to grab me up, but those fellas work a lot cheaper.

I'm expected to "knowledge transfer" for the next week, then they will yank my access, and I'll float for a month before my paycheck ends.   

I'll leave with a full year of severance pay, plus a payout on unused vacation, and they are continuing my medical for a year also, and I'll still get my share of any bonuses in March.  I have a pension I can take as a lump sum, and a decent 401k. It's a lot.  I'm going to talk to a money guy today or tomorrow to see where I stand. .  Ideally I can invest it all, earn X amount, and withdraw  < X annually to never run out of money. Not sure if it's enough, or if I can cut my outflows enough, to make that work.  If that CAN work, I'll still get a job just for shits and giggles and make sure I really love it.   

I'm counting my blessings right now.  BigOil was a generous employer, and I loved it a lot.  Just got unlucky this one time.  Still, I'm healthy, have a loving family and great friends.  But I am still pretty sad to be getting laid off instead of leaving on my own terms when good and ready.

Carlos.

Sorry to hear that Carlos 😕 My brother is in the same position with MediumOil in Houston unfortunately. It does sound like you’ve worked yourself into a reasonable position with your severance, pension, 401k and more so at least that’s something. Hope this works out for you the best it can. 

Sorry again Carlos. If you can finagle a semi-retirement out of it though that could be a nice win. 

Also sad to hear about your MiL. Never a good time to go through that but on top of this it’s hard to imagine. I’ll be thinking about you man. Let me know what game you’re playing right now and I’ll make sure to get it downloaded so we can hook up in the hiatus. 

Very sorry to hear about those developments, Carlos. Sounds like they really effed up with the sponsorship thing. I’m struggling to understand that one. 

Aside from that, it sounds like you’re leaving in a good position to build from. It would seem, on the surface at least, that the new world of WFH might expand your prospects right off the bat. 

But yeah, like El said, working this into early retirement would be a nice bonus, if that’s what you’re after.

Please update us as you navigate this new phase!

That sucks, but at least you're walking out with a year's salary?  In this new remote world your options got a whole lot wider though-more people are starting to hire way more location-agnostic.  Experience with both Oracle and SQL for big data is good to have.  If you think it'd help, feel free to connect on linkedin (https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-bardon-5563453/)

2 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

That sucks, but at least you're walking out with a year's salary?  In this new remote world your options got a whole lot wider though-more people are starting to hire way more location-agnostic.  Experience with both Oracle and SQL for big data is good to have.  

Sorry to hear that, Carlos. I heard on the radio about impending reorgs at Big Oil + had hoped you'd escape... But between what you've said about where the layoff puts you and knowing how hot the market is for the skills you've got, like Chris said, you're going to be in a good spot in the end. 

• 1 month later...