LCVG

Does my sig offend you?

Beer Monkey

My current sig graphic was intended as a satire of political advertising, and is in no way in support (!) of Charles Manson or was intended to offend any of the members here.

I realize my sense of humor is a bit offbeat and may not appeal to all.

Today I received a PM from a member who expressed offense (without saying exactly which of his sensibilities it offended, and how).

Is anyone else personally offended by my sig?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael;

Thank you for posting this. It demonstrates on your part a sense of respect to the other members and to the forum at large. On most any other forum the response to that PM would have been, "F- you! If you don't like my sig, then too bad!" Believe me, it's greatly appreciated.

I, for one, find the sig to be in poor taste. I also don't see the humor in it. Am I personally offended by it? Let's just say, I wouldn't be sad if you took it down.

Please bear in mind that I only speak my mind on this matter. What I say here does not necessarily reflect the opinions of other moderators, admins, or owners. I?m sure they will soon chime in with their thoughts on the matter.

As for why the post may be offensive, perhaps you should take a look at this. The swastika doesn't help matters either.

It doesn't bother me - I saw the humor in it. I would also recommend Helter Skelter to those who are somewhat curious about the family.

One way to look at it would be to drop other infamous faces in there and see if it still stands up - Hitler, Idi Amin, Andrei Chikalito, Susan Smith, Saddam, Jim Jones, etc...

How about you replace Manson with Richard Simmons. He isn't as offensive but every bit as scary. :shock: Or perhaps you could get creative and have a pic of a monkey holding a beer with the messege: "I am Beer Monkey and I approve this messege". :) I know its not the same type of humor but it certainly wont offend anyone.

Myself I do not get offended by the type of humor displayed in your sig but I certainly don't have a problem with those that do. If I recieved a PM from someone saying they are offended by my sig, avatar, whatever I would probably change it. Even though its only 1 person that means there is a good chance there are or will be others who may be offended as well (maybe some people are too afraid to say so). Just a thought.

PS: If anyone is offended by giant robots named Cyberwoo please let me know. :green:

Yeah, good on you for just coming out and asking, Mike.

Doesn't bother me much since I've dealt with you personally before and have not gotten a Manson vibe from you :green:. I admit I was shocked when I first saw the image, but I'd agree that the swastika is the most offensive thing about it. Otherwise Manson can approve of the Teletubbies for all I care :P.

Maybe swap up with Dahmer? ;)

If a picture of Charles Manson is the most unfortunate thing I see in the world today, I'll chalk it up as a pretty damn good day.

This is a very interesting topic. I would have to say I was offended so much as just sickened to see Manson and to see the swastika.

Thinking about it now, having read this thread and thinking more of why I don't care much for the Sig, I'd say it has more to do with the swastika than Manson. That in itself is sort of unsettling.

I should be equally offended by Mason, but I think it is easier for people to see the humor in parody of people than in symbols. I think it has to do with symbols inheriently conveying symbolism. In other words, they are supposed to send a certain message, and when a different unfamiliar meaning is attached it can be difficult to detach the former. Still, now having this thread, I look at the picture and get more turned off by the swastika than by Manson. Odd.

Thank you for posting this. It demonstrates on your part a sense of respect to the other members and to the forum at large. On most any other forum the response to that PM would have been, "F- you! If you don't like my sig, then too bad!" Believe me, it's greatly appreciated.

Oh, believe me, I'm not saying I would take it down just because some small minority of the forum is offensive. You can't please all of the people all of the time (everybody remember the Bloom County strip about offensensivity? That word has made it into the lexicon!) I was just curious how people felt. :)

I do think it's important that anybody should understand that my intent was not to offend.

I kind of like the idea of switching to a pic that doesn't include a swastika - that icon may be a bit much. I'll work on that later today.

I remember when Castle Wolfenstein 3D came out for the PC. I do remember being pretty surprised to see all those swastikas...they had become pretty taboo in our culture. I also remember when Nintendo made them take them out for the SNES, and also to replace all the dogs with giant mutated rats?!?!?

Originally posted by Beer Monkey@Sep 7 2004, 08:46 AM

Oh, believe me, I'm not saying I would take it down just because some small minority of the forum is offensive. You can't please all of the people all of the time (everybody remember the Bloom County strip about offensensivity? That word has made it into the lexicon!) I was just curious how people felt. :)

I do think it's important that anybody should understand that my intent was not to offend.

I kind of like the idea of switching to a pic that doesn't include a swastika - that icon may be a bit much. I'll work on that later today.

I remember when Castle Wolfenstein 3D came out for the PC. I do remember being pretty surprised to see all those swastikas...they had become pretty taboo in our culture. I also remember when Nintendo made them take them out for the SNES, and also to replace all the dogs with giant mutated rats?!?!?

Well Since he came to the palte, balls on the chopping block, as it were I'll step up to.

I am the one the PMed and starated this whole thing.

First off let me say it says alot when some one would ask other members thier thoughts, like Jeff I too have been to boards were if this was brought up youd be told to F-off. This again proves the maturity of this board so Thank You .

Now let me also say it takes quite a bit to offend me but for some reason this just rubs me the wrong way. I think to a large degree its the swastica like some have mentioned another glorifed killing.

In video gamess fine its fake, reality not so cool.

I do like the humor in the satire just not with Manson,Hitler,Dahmer Sadham, Osma or any other sick fuck. Unless its them being ripped on, like in the "South Park" boys goto Affgainstain and have thier way with Osma and just the genral antics protryed by him.

I'm also a fan of Bloom County and find thier Satire great.

umm thats all got for now

Excellent of you to post this Michael.

I'll be honest in saying the moderators have been having a fairly large discussion in the mod forum about how to handle this particular signature. Some of our mods feel it is fine and others would prefer to see it removed (or more specifically the symbol on his forehead.) Given our recent trip away from the forum nothing had up until this point been resolved but considering your open to the idea of removing the swastika from the picture (which I think is a good idea) I don't think there is much to worry about. (personally found it funny from the get-go ;) )

I don't find it 'offensive' perse, but I definitely don't like it. Most likely the reason is that when I'm sitting here browsing at work, I always have to purposely scroll that image off the screen so nobody walks by and sees it. It's the only thing on this forum I feel I have to do that with. While it does creep me out a little, I'm more concerned about how others might view it, or view me as a result of having it up on my screen. Just a thought.

Originally posted by hollismb@Sep 7 2004, 10:48 AM

I don't find it 'offensive' perse, but I definitely don't like it. Most likely the reason is that when I'm sitting here browsing at work, I always have to purposely scroll that image off the screen so nobody walks by and sees it. It's the only thing on this forum I feel I have to do that with. While it does creep me out a little, I'm more concerned about how others might view it, or view me as a result of having it up on my screen. Just a thought.

I have to agree with that angle to. Sure I should be paying attenion in class but occasinaly I browse the site and if the person sitting next me, like today, happens to look over I dont want them to think that I am pro-manson because they happen to see that and think that Im at some neo-nazi site.