LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
HoolieMan

Spread the Sniping Knowledge

I have noticed that one of my biggest weaknesses in the online game is the inablity to snipe effectively. Unless somebody is standing still with a sign that says "snipe me" than I usually miss and then get railed by somebody else.

I know that some of you are known for your mad sniping skills and I would apprecieate any tips like good sniping spots, where to aim, how long to stay in one place, etc.

Hoolie, I have the same probelm. The worst is when you are trying to snipe someone and you are getting a fairly good bead on he back of thier head and then in the blink of an eye they've swung around and nailed you with a single sniper shot. :wtf:

I was thinking about this today and I think what I need to do is explore the maps a bit more on my own, finding the sniper spots and the location of sniper weapons, and then go online and practice almost exclusively with the sniper weapons. Maybe we should put together a short bus sniper practice session. We can call it "Shooting Fish in a Barrel!" :D

I'm not a big fan of sniping in FFA games, but it can be a useful tool when playing team-based matches. There are two things I can suggest off the top of my head. One is to learn the "drift" of the sniper shot. In a perfect gaming world, all of our adversaries would stand still so that we can get a perfectly lined shot on them. This is not the case, so the way around it is to learn the drift of the sniper shot once it leaves the barrell. This way, you can sort of "lead" the person you are shooting. Secondly, never stay in the same place too long. The bitch of the Halo 2 sniper rifles are that they are loud and have a nice little smoke trail coming from their bullets. Once you waste a few people, you might as well have a big red arrow pointing at your location. Best bet is to learn the maps, squeeze off a couple of kills from one location, switch to a closer range gun and then run to another.

I am sure there are better snipers than me on this board who will be glad to share. These tips, however, have helped me.

To quote Full Metal Jacket: "You just gota lead em a little" :twisted:

One thing I learned fairly quickly is to shoot fast and keep a close eye on your back and you motion tracker, when you're standing there trying to line up that perfect shot is when you're apt to get whacked by someone else. 2 shots anywhere will kill with the sniper rifle, they don't all have to be 1 hit kill headshots. Also I've noticed you can use the sniper rifle for close combat as well, it's pretty much as powerful as a close up shotgun blast so one shot to the body and a melee attack will drop most opponents.

I'm told that using the SmartJoy Frag (keyboard/mouse adapter for Xbox) sniping (and all aiming) become so accurate it almost feels like cheating.

I'm considering buying one to give it a shot.

I'm told that using the SmartJoy Frag (keyboard/mouse adapter for Xbox) sniping (and all aiming) become so accurate it almost feels like cheating.

I'm considering buying one to give it a shot.

I was in a matchmade game where I swear someone was using one.

It was on the Burial mounds map. One guy killed me and two teammates in 3 straight shots in about 1.5 seconds.

If he didn't have the Smartjoy Frag, he's one helluva good sniper.

Earlier tonight I was laying the smack down on some people in some head to head matches. I think I won like 5 or 6 games in a row (starting to get confident with my level 8 rank) then all the sudden I get matched up against some insane robotic "cant miss with the carbine rifle" guy. He gained control of the carbine rifle and plasma sword on that one small circular map (its pink n blue...shotgun in the middle on the ground and sword up top). Anyway he just owned my ass like you wouldn't believe. I mean I consider myself to be pretty good but this guy was like toying with me. He could not miss with that damn carbine rifle and in the event that I got anywhere close to him he would wip out the sword and beat me down. Anyway my point is I wouldn't be surprised if he was using a smartjoy. His aiming was just too precise and fast. Unless he is just INSANELY good and has his speed set to 10. However he wasn't the first person I've seen with crazy ass fast and accurate aiming with sniper weapons. I would really like to know who is using smartjoy and who isn't. Its too bad there isn't a way to tell.

one small circular map (its pink n blue...shotgun in the middle on the ground and sword up top).

Midship ;)

I would really like to know who is using smartjoy and who isn't. Its too bad there isn't a way to tell.

It would be great if Bungie could release a patch to detect it and adjust rankings accordingly.

As far as sniping goes... practice, practice, practice. :D

I would also like to add that just because you find a good sniping spot doesn't mean you should stay there. A good sniper knows to keep moving as to not give away his position and keep his opponent guessing. So pick a few spots on each map and know the best and fastest ways to those spots from each position. Once you setup camp and fire off a few rounds you better haul ass to another spot before you find yourself on the recieving end of a beatdown from someone sneaking up behind you. Snipers are easy to spot thanks to the tracer fire. Also if you really want to piss of a sniper shoot at him with a carbine rifle. Each time he is hit the zoom on his rifle retracts and this can really throw them off if you fire fast and are accurate.

I would really like to know who is using smartjoy and who isn't. Its too bad there isn't a way to tell.

It would be great if Bungie could release a patch to detect it and adjust rankings accordingly.

I would be happy if they could release a patch, if nothingelse, just for peace of mind that the person kicking my ass is just flat out better than me.

You know this kind of stuff really annoys me. I'm actually glad I never bought Halo 2, and I'm really glad that I cancelled my Live accounts before I go to college. People will do anything to get an advantage. I wouldn't call using this new SmartJoyFrag or what ever it is cheating, I would call it being a damn pussy. You know this thing is so easy to solve though. Just play with people you know and if you suspect someone has this thing than boot him. If he ever comes back in and asks why he got booted then tell him and kick him again. There is only one more thing I can think of. They might be using that FPS controller that Motm used to always talk about. You know the one that was like holding two pistols. But when I used it I thought the thumbsticks and triggers were sloppy. There is also a controller out there that will let you customize the buttons. I've heard people talking about it online when I played Ghost Recon Island Thunder. Sometimes I wondered in that game because some people could go prone and stand back up so fast that I swear it looked like they did a push up, shooting at me the whole time. I know I'm not that bad at these FPS's.