LCVG

Gamefly...

Anthony G

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought almost 15 used games from them in the past Lupo and have had nothing but good service and quality product. Every game comes with box and instructions (both of which are in good condition) and the games have worked perfectly. They have a big sale going on at the moment through January 9th and it would be a good time to give them a try.

I've bought almost 15 used games from them in the past Lupo and have had nothing but good service and quality product. Every game comes with box and instructions (both of which are in good condition) and the games have worked perfectly. They have a big sale going on at the moment through January 9th and it would be a good time to give them a try.

Thanks FutureVoid, the sale really caught my eye. I picked up:

Riddick 9.99

Sudeki 7.99

FSW 9.99

Manhunt 7.99

Plus tax (free shipping).

• 2 weeks later...

I think their rental service blows since so much of my rental time was spent with the games in transition. This is going to be entirely dependent on where you live though.

I'm happy with the game buying segment of the site though. I've even snagged several rare games (including Cubivore) at good prices. The case and manual are always mint. The discs range from mint to light scratches.

I think their rental service blows since so much of my rental time was spent with the games in transition. This is going to be entirely dependent on where you live though.

True, I live in Rhode Island and found that average transit time between when I sent a game back and when I got another one in, was about 16 days. :shock:

Their prices for buying games seemed pretty good though.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to share my experience renting with GameFly - let's just say it has not been good.

I signed up for their 10-day free trial on February 7, and added Death By Degrees and Shadow of Rome to my queue. I assumed that since these games were released on 2/8, they would be sent immediately and arrive quickly. Wrong. They weren't sent until 2/10, and didn't arrive at my house until the 15th. Yup, there goes eight days of my 10-day free trial.

I figured I would try it for a month anyway to give them a fair shot, so I was patient and waited. I sent DBD and SOR back on Monday, 2/21. Their computer didn't register DBD returned until 3/1. I sent an e-mail asking what took so long - even if they only have one distribution center on the west coast, I live in the midwest, so it shouldn't take too long coming from anywhere in the country.

But it gets better. They responded to my e-mail by saying that they would report SOR as "lost," which I really hope doesn't mean I'm going to be responsible for it. Anyway, they sent the next game in my queue, Project Snowblind, and guess what? Still not here. That means I've been a member of their service for almost a month, and I've been able to rent THREE games? That's just ridiculous. I don't rent games from places like Blockbuster because I don't want to pay $7 for a one-week rental. But I might as well have done just that at the rate I'm paying for GameFly's service. I gave them a chance; I won't be renewing.

Thats very similar to the experience I had with them. I signed up in august and cancelled in october. Even being on the west coast it was still 4-5 days each way for games which is rediculous when compared to what I'm used to with netflix. So I cancelled. Another stupid thing. If you cancel it cancels right then not at the end of your paid duration. Overall I was very unimpressed with their customer service, or lack there of.

I have been quite satisfied with Gamefly so far.

I returned my previous disc to Gamefly (EA Sports Rugby, bleh) on Monday, Feb. 28 (I think; might have been Tuesday). I got an email from them on Wednesday, March 2 saying that they've received the game and are sending my next game (which was Death by Degrees, as it happens). Thursday, March 3, I received the game in the mail.

Right. On. :tu

Now, I live in San Diego, and I think GameFly is in Irvine, so overnight regular mail is pretty typical. But they certainly didn't sit around and wait to ship me my new game.

They sent me Republic Commando on Tuesday, and I received it today. I think some of the complaints about Gamefly are due to the Postal Service. Granted, you need patience if you live on the East Coast since they don't have warehouses all over like Netflix does, but I have been very happy with their service. I can't wait to start renting PSP games from them.

-Dean-

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used one of the alternative game rental services, in particular GameRang - similiar prices/deal ($20 for 2 out at a time), but they seem to have more hubs with one allegedly in Oklahoma which would be nice.

Tempted to try out their free trial & see how it is for turnaround time to Texas. My problems with GameFly were just the sheer time it took to get a new game.

I may end up just signing up for the Blockbuster inhouse game deal...

I used RedOctane a looong time ago (PS1 era) and, iirc, they had hubs on the east coast and in Minnesota. Their turnaround time seemed pretty good (not sure how good it would be to Texas, though). $18.95/mo. for the 2 games out at a time plan. Another plus is that they always seemed to have a pretty good selection of imports, and from a quick check of GameFly and GameRang, it looks like those services don't.

Well, I've signed up for the ten day trial of GameRang, with the expectation of using it for a month for a full "taste". They have a depot in Oklahoma, so turnaround time for me in Texas should be better than the atrocious delays I got with GameFly's West Coast centre.

The website isn't as well organised as GameFly's, there's no imports like RedOctane, but the selection seems okay, they have all the PSP games, a good selection of PSOne & GBA titles, and I really want to see if service is any better.

Hopefully Jade Empire will be one of the first pair to arrive.

Well, turns out my first game isn't Jade Empire - it's Project:Snowblind, because it arrived today :) I presume because JE wasn't out till Wednesday, they shipped the first available game in my queue, which was Snowblind.

So the game shipped on Saturday, arrived on Monday. That's a good first sign, but the real test is turnaround time - how long from dropping a game in the mail till I get another game in my grubby hands.