LCVG

Is Starcraft still worth it?

Tranquility

I never got to play Starcraft. No particular reason, although I loved the Warcraft series. Is it worth it to play Starcraft and Brood Wars after all these years since the game has been developed? Or is it not worth getting into right now?

EDIT: Also, does the game have a 3D engine or is it 2D as with Age of Empires and Red Alert?

The thing is the local games shop is selling a bundle which has StarCraft, StarCraft Brood Wars, Diablo, Diablo II, and Warcraft II, for a reasonable 13$, and I never did play any of these classics and I thought I should probably check them out. I only got into Blizzard games with Warcraft III and its expansion.

I absolutely love the original Starcraft. The three races (Human, Zerg and Protoss) provide such varied ways of building a base and attacking the enemy. I still have the disk and was going to install it again. Since it was designed in Win95 days, anyone have an idea how it would run on WinXP? Would there be any problems?

Personally, I think Starcraft if VERY worth it. Obviously, it is not fair to judge it based upon it's graphics after all of these years. (although I think they work perfectly for the game). The balance of the 3 races and the battle strategy in that game make it one of the most perfectly balanced games I have ever played. It would be awesome to get some LCVG starcraft action going. Is this possible? I never played on battlenet so I only know how to play LAN style.

Originally posted by dogbert@Dec 28 2004, 10:10 AM

That's a great price for a bunch of great games, Tranquility, even just for Starcraft + Diablo 2.

Yup I thought so. I wanted to check out these games but couldn't be bothered with so many great games coming out and my wallet emptying so fast. With such a price for a bunch of these classics I could very well get them now and play them.

Starcraft is definitely worth it, whatever it is.

I may run into some disagreement on this, but I think it is the best RTS game I have ever played. I've played ones that have looked better, had cooler tech trees, better options on race/classes to play, but I could install Starcraft right now and get lost in the game for a few hours easy, I could not do that with any of the Warcraft RTS games or Red Alert 2, which are others that I played with a bit of consistency over the years.

Man... I could sure go for a zergling rush right now...

If you are a fan of RTS games then you need to play Starcraft at some point. IMO its one of if not the best RTS games ever made. The 3 classes you can choose from are very diversified yet very well balanced. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. This makes multiplayer alot of fun. Heck I'm not even a big fan of RTS games and I really enjoyed Starcraft back in the day. Starcraft + Diablo 2 for 13 bucks? I'd be all over that. I never did get into Diablo 2 (was busy with other things at the time of its release) but loved the original.

Now that you all have re-sparked my interest in this game, I have to ask:

Is it possible to play this over the internet without using Battlenet? If not, is Battlenet free with the purchase of the game? I used to play this game but I have never been on Battlenet. I am trying to figure out a way I can play this game with some of my XBox Live friends. (and maybe even some of you)

Edit: After looking into this a little, I figured out that we can do this using a VPN. Now I just have to set up a VPN server and we could get some sweet games going. ;)