LCVG

"Special Edition" Games; Good for gamers?

foogledricks

"Special Edition" Games; Good for gamers?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. "Special Edition" Games; Good for gamers?

• yes
    • no
    • doesn't matter
    • Yes,as long as the SE/LE comes out same day as the regular one

We all know how "Special Editions" are handled with DVD. Studios release a regular version, then charge more for a new edition. Of course, there ar just as many "special edition" only releases. Are you one of those poor chaps who thinks theire gettinga better deal with a special edition? You just have to have it!? Is there a slippery slope here? Or maybe we will finally get the "making of" documentaries we want. I think those could be more interesting than the movie ones.

Personally, I've never bought a "collector's edition" game before, and don't think I ever will.

The closest I ever came was when Blizzard started putting together all of their CGI work onto DVD's, but even then it was only a passing interest.

Personally, I think that putting together "special features" takes away from development time.

Just my opinion.

Glen

I think it's a good idea if it is handled like the Halo 2 release, where gamers have a choice of which to buy right off the bat. I don't think anyone would spend $50 on a game, only to spend $60+ for a special edition of the same title a month later.

Nothing is more annoying than the theatrical version of a movie being released on DVD, then the Director's Cut a month later, then the Special Edition a month after that, then the Collector's Edition yet a month later. :roll:

That being said, I have yet to look at the extra disc that came with the special edition for Halo 2. Come to think of it, I don't think I've watched the extra disc for any of the DVD movies I own, either :oops: :lol:

Keith, I edited the poll to put in my choice in. Good topic,BTW :)

It would depend on the game,obviously - but if it was something that I wanted & had a lot of interest in (ala Halo 2) then I'd get the SE/LE.

But I'm with scobeto - I don't like it when a super duper SE DVD of a movie I like comes out 6 months after the regular one. That's why I don't own the Kill Bill DVD's.

I think that MS gets it right with the downloadable content,& it should stay that kind of a model.

I've voted a big fat no. Why? Because it's a way for the publisher to make $5-10 more per copy sold without getting the bad press of raising the RRP. The extras/trinkets you get for the extra money do not cover the whole of the increased cost, it's just extra profit for the publisher.

1.5 million copies of Halo 2 is $7.5 million extra profit for Microsoft.

I like the idea of DVD-like extras & bonus features, I just don't want to pay for them :)

Nightwing, there are probably a dozen conditions you could put on both "yes" and "no" , including the one you gave and other have said. The conditions are what people should explain in the posts, because otherwise the poll would have a dozen conditional answers.

I like the idea of DVD-like extras & bonus features, I just don't want to pay for them

Generally speaking I'd say that EXTRAs that qualify as a "Special Edition" have become pretty standard, and a necessary value-add. Excluding the clearance DVDs I get for $5.99-$9.99, most my DVDs cost between $16.99-$21.99. I think the market figures out what is valuable and makes buying decisions accordingly. Therefore, having special edition DVDs with extras will probably not result in higher prices, based on my experience with DVDs. I believe that most "special edition" games will simply have extras and the same cost. Like DVDs there will be an occasional experiment, but I think that is healthy for the market.

Originally posted by dogbert@Dec 31 2004, 10:47 AM

I've voted a big fat no. Why? Because it's a way for the publisher to make $5-10 more per copy sold without getting the bad press of raising the RRP. The extras/trinkets you get for the extra money do not cover the whole of the increased cost, it's just extra profit for the publisher.

One exception: Doom for the XBox. For $10 extra you get all of the previous versions of Doom.

One exception: Doom for the XBox. For $10 extra you get all of the previous versions of Doom.

Do you think Activision won't be making extra profit on the Special Edition though? That's a perfect example of a real value added extra for the consumer - it's a great extra.

Originally posted by dogbert@Jan 3 2005, 06:55 PM

Do you think Activision won't be making extra profit on the Special Edition though? That's a perfect example of a real value added extra for the consumer - it's a great extra.

If they didn't make a profit, they wouldn't make it. I'm not sure what extra profit is, however. Profit above and beyond the margin on the regular edition? I'm sure the extra cost of the disc, packaging, pressing, production, advertising, etc costs more, so the publisher charges more. I doubt the $5 price difference really adds that much to the profit margin as much as it increases sales. Even if it does increase profit dramatically, it benefits you in the long run, since the company gets to stay in business, produce more games, invest in better technology, hire more people, etc.

I must confess that I like profit. Without profit we would all live in cardboard boxes :)