LCVG

Dell UltraSharp 2001FP

MrMike

I came close to ordering a 2005FP but several forums are full of people reporting major QC issues with this monitor. Many are experiencing backlight leakage in addition to excessive dead pixel problems inherent with LCD displays.

Dell is also supposed to be releasing a 24" LCD in the next few months. No specs or pricing has been announced.

I picked up a 2005FP for Christmas and am ecstatic over the quality of the monitor. I am well aware of the backlighting issue that has now been addressed by Dell. I have some backlighting but it is never an issue and the problem has been fixed. The color saturation is the best I have seen on any LCD. Widescreen does make a difference. You may lose an inch in height, but you more than make up for that inch in width. Your eyes seem to take in more from left to right than top to bottom and that presents a much more pleasing image. Games, including WoW, Far Cry and Half Life 2 really shine with widescreen. I thought long and hard before buying a monitor and almost went with a 2001. I am glad I didn't. Working with other applications and editing documents feels more natural as well. I can spread my workout and not feel like I have a clutter of windows. Go wide.

I just ordered the 20.1 incher from dell a few hours ago. 569 + free shipping (tax sucks but can't avoid that).

We have a 2005 widescreen and a 2001fp one here at work and the widescreen one sucks. You don't get nearly as much screen space as the 2001fp one! I can't stand widescreen computer monitors. The 24" one coming out will be REALLY expensive and still won't have the same screen space as the normal 20.1" one.

• 4 weeks later...

Dell 24" LCD Monitor.

24" Viewable Image Size Largest available viewable image size in Dell's Flat Panel Monitor Portfolio

1920x1200 Native Resolution Provides gamers and graphics professionals with best in class image detail.

12ms (typ) Response Time Enables crisp clear images when using the display for fast motion video such as gaming or video editing.

Dual input support Digital (DVI) or Analog connection allowing for max versatility.

CE Inputs S-video, composite and component inputs allow for CE connectivity.

P-I-P (Picture-in-Picture) Users can and view alternative source video from a CE device with a touch of single PiP (Picture-in-Picture) button. View both your PC content and alternative source video at the same time.

Easy to access 4 port USB Hub and 9-in-1 card reader allowing easy access for your favorite peripheral devices

Release: March 2005

Dell 2405FPW Review

$1,200 is an awesome price considering everything it can do. Dell coupons should bring the price down under a $1,000.

:drool

Now that looks worth finally ditching the trusty old 19" CRT for. I'm gonna wait until it's out and see what everyone says about it, but assuming no big problems I don't see how I'll resist.

I'm dying to know if it'll take 480p/720p via the component inputs.

Only thing I don't like about the 2405FPW is that its widescreen. We have a 2005FPW at work and it is really really small. The amount of screen you have compared to the 2001FP is horrible. A 24" widescreen will be maybe 19" in 4:3 mode? Widescreen monitors for PC's are a waste of money in my opinion. I hate them on laptops and I can't stand them on desktops.

Only thing I don't like about the 2405FPW is that its widescreen. We have a 2005FPW at work and it is really really small. The amount of screen you have compared to the 2001FP is horrible. A 24" widescreen will be maybe 19" in 4:3 mode? Widescreen monitors for PC's are a waste of money in my opinion. I hate them on laptops and I can't stand them on desktops.

You haven't seen World of Warcraft or Half-Life 2 in widescreen.... ;)

If you watch movies or TV shows or play modern games (Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Doom 3, World of Warcraft, etc, which all support widescreen) then a 24" widescreen (especially one so nicely priced) is far from a waste of money.

What resolution do most of you guys who own 2001FP's run them at while playing games?

With my 6800 ultra I can do 1600x1200 but if I turn up anti-aliasing it gets a little slow sometimes. So normally I do 1280x1024 with anti-aliasing turned up and it looks great.

• 2 weeks later...

I like widescreen and just ordered the 2005 FPW. It's a couple inches shorter in height, so I'll definitely lose space vertically, but I really want to be able to have apps side-by-side without moving one to another monitor.

It should arrive today and I'd be happy to share impressions if anyone is interested.

-j