LCVG

March - is it ever slow?

Romier S

In taking a look at the list of upcoming games on EBgames.com I couldn't help but notice that March is another one of those "ouch my wallet" type of months. I was talking to a few folks on AIM about it and with the possible inclusion of a PSP release with launch games, I'm going to have to take out a loan to get everything I want. :thud

Take a quick look:

March 1

Worms 3D

Worms Fort: Under Siege

Doom 3

Star Wars Republic Commando

Cold Fear

Devil May Cry 3

25 to Life

MVP Baseball 2005

Fight Night Round 2

March 8

Close Combat: First to Fight

Wrestlemania XXI

Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Fifa Street

March 14/15

Unreal Championship 2 The Lilandri Conflict

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe

ESPN MLB 2k5

Gran Turismo 4

Rise of Kisai (sequel to Mark of Kri)

Resident Evil Outbreak File #2

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Rainbow Six Lockdown

March 21/29

Narc

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Iron Pheonix

God of War

Dynasty Warrior 5

Combine that with the PSP release and launch games..... :thud :thud

You know, if this keeps up I may actually start longing for the days of the post-Christmas slowdown. I've not even STARTED games from Nov. 2004 as all I've been playing is GTA: SA and Halo 2 on Live.

I keep telling myself "there'll be a 2-3 month period this year when no new game releases interest me" but if that occurs, it sure won't anytime soon.

I remember March was a busy month last year too. If I remember correctly, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes ended up in my collection that month.

As for this year, right now I can say that I'll probably end up getting Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Doom 3. The good news is at least all three don't come out on the same day, so I'll have some time to relax and enjoy them before moving on to something else.

I've been making similar purchasing lists for myself and I've found that the situation is never as dire as it seems. Although those games are listed for March now, a significant portion of them will not come out until later. Furthermore, it is not as if the percieved financial burden has merely been shifted to another month. Rather, due to the habitual delays of games, any given month will have less than the estimated number of games released.

Furthermore, it has been my experience that a good portion of these 'games of interest' will turn out to be crap. Unfortunately, many of the underperforming games are replaced by sleepers that exceed expectations.

As for the OP's situation, I recommend a more diversified portfolio. Reduce holdings in first person shooters and focus only on the blue chippers in that segment.

These are my interests in March (only thing I want in February is Brothers In Arms).

Star Wars Republic Commando (Want to see reviews and hear opinions 1st)

Close Combat: First to Fight (Same with this one)

Wrestlemania XXI (I have a feeling it will suck, but I so hope it doesn't)

ESPN MLB 2k5 (Must have, especially if it comes in at the $20-$30 price point)

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (Looks real fun, will probably wait though)

Rainbow Six Lockdown (Stone Cold lock purchase)

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (May wait a bit on this one)

I already pre-ordered a PSP, so that is already a purchase. Unless Sony prices it above $200, then I will transfer my pre-order money to Splinter Cell. If the reviews are good on WM XX!, that will be a definite purchase as well. :)

-Dean-

How to explain the phenomenon in two words:

Financial Year

When you make announcements to the Stock Market about what games your public company plan to release in a particular year, it's bad news to let them slip into the next one; the accounts get all messy and the shareholders get nervous.

So if they're slipping, March is your deadline of deadlines most of the time.

edit - actually, it's just GT4 that I might pick up out of that lot on release; I'm in no hurry for the rest.

Here are my major interests in March as well:

Worms 3D

Worms Fort: Under Siege

Doom 3

Star Wars Republic Commando

Devil May Cry 3

25 to Life

Close Combat: First to Fight

Wrestlemania XXI

Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Unreal Championship 2 The Lilandri Conflict

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe

ESPN MLB 2k5

Gran Turismo 4

Rainbow Six Lockdown

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Iron Pheonix

God of War

I'm REALLY looking forward to Unreal Championship 2. Probably my most anticipated game for March.