LCVG

Star Wars: Empire at War - New Star Wars RTS coming

Romier S

Gamepost has some new information on "Empire at War". A new Star Wars RTS set between the events of Episode III and IV. The developer of the game Petroglyph is comprised of former Westwood Studio folks. You can take a look at more detail and developer thoughts here:

Star Wars Empire at War

Typically in real-time strategy games, you slowly assemble your armies by gradually building the required structures and by researching the proper upgrades. Then you bring these armies in to battle in the late game, only to lose them in the next mission. Empire at War's units will be completely persistent, so you'll keep whichever units survived your last battle. So, considering how expensive some of the most powerful units will be, you may find yourself actually retreating. In fact, attacking and retreating may be central to your strategy, especially if you're playing as the Rebels, who might not always have the resources to mount a full-scale assault. Sometimes it may be better to use guerilla tactics, like crippling a powerful capital ship and fleeing into hyperspace before an armada can be sent after you.

Beat me to it Romier. I was just going to post about this. :)

I'm not really into RTS games to be honest. I like WC3, but thats about it for RTS games. I did try the abysmal Star Wars 3D strategy game (Force Commander - Thanks Joey!) that came out a few years back. That kind of turned me off any latter Star Wars RTS games that came out (the one based on the AoE engine).

This certainly looks good, and I hope it IS good, but I'll wait for the reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

This months Computer Gaming World has a nice article on this game. Some neat things are:

Persistant Galaxy

Different planets give different skills, ie controlling an industrial planet might give you quicker ship building, etc

Not all planets start out as Empire or Rebellian controlled and to conquer them you might have to face a third party

Battles take place not only on planets surface but in space and orbit around planets

Space battles determine what gets onto and off the planets, set up blockades, patrols, etc

Space battle is controlled on a 2D plane like ground battles but ships can perform moves on a 3D plane

Groups move only as fast as their slowest party member

Large ships have multiple hard points to attack, ie Star Destroyers you can target the shield generators, the bridge, the gunnery stations, and the hanger bays

The bad thing about this game:

Doesn't ship until Fall 2005

This one is definetely looking to be a winner and its in my top 10 most wanted for 2005.

star-wars-empire-at-war-20050121092944690.jpg

star-wars-empire-at-war-20050125013605952.jpg

Doesn't ship until Fall 2005

I?d presume a launch alongside the DVD of Episode III then?

Hopefully journalists will get to play it at E3. The Hoth screenshots are wonderful. I don't know what it is about fans of the classic trilogy and their love for Hoth levels in Star Wars videogames. I rarely tire of battles on the snow plains even back when such snow plains were a bunch of vector graphics spewing out at me.

Daniel

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A superb trailer for the game is now available at Gamespot and The Official Website. Select trailer1 if viewing at Gamespot (I found their stream to be smoother).

I initially thought the release had been brought forward for the 1st of November (as Gamespot claims), but the very end of the trailer actually confirms the 2006 release.

Daniel

• 5 months later...

This thread needs a new post since the game is barely one month away. The official site has been rebuilt in the run up to the game's impending release – it’s probably been in its new state for a while, but none of us seemed to have noticed. You can also view trailer 2 on the site which I had not seen before. It all looks very impressive and exciting (I like the new Lucasarts logo too).

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swempireatwar/indexFlash.html

It's due out on the 16th of February in the US/Canada. UK date, currently, seems set for only a day later on the 17th! Commence primary ignition!

For those that don’t know, Gamespot will be hosting a single player demo of Empire at War today (18th of January). At the time of writing, it is due up in just under an hour and a half.

“You can start by playing the optional, interactive tutorial to learn important game concepts that will guide you to victory.

Or skip the tutorial and jump right into the action! As the commander of the Rebel forces on Hoth, you'll battle for control of the Outer Rim in the Vergesso Asteroids and attempt to liberate Tatooine from the grip of the Empire. Han Solo and Chewbacca, with the Millennium Falcon, are ready to lead your space fleet and invasion forces as you go up against Tie Fighters, Star Destroyers and their arch rival Boba Fett. May the force be with you!”

http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2006/starwarsdemo/index.html?tag=head_eawdemo