LCVG

The City of Raleigh Crippled yesterday

Starhawk

Yesterday was a nightmare for alot of people who live in North Raleigh, NC. It snowed a little more than expected, but only accumulation of .7 inch here with 1.5 inch max in other places. This all started around 1-2pm.

Some business started letting people out early, and all of a sudded there was nothing but a parking lot on major roadways. Cars were sliding everywhere making some roads impossible to get through, and the snow surpried the DOT who were not ready and didnt have the roads salted. It was just amazing to see all those cars on the road not going anywhere.

Check out the video here: http://www.wral.com/video/4109319/detail.html

My roomate's commute is no more than 20 minutes. He left work around 4:30pm and didnt get home until just before midnight!

The Raleigh Police Department reported that there were 500 accidents in the city on Wednesday night. The daily average for accidents in Raleigh in 2003 was 46.

WRAL.com received scores of e-mail reports from mothers and fathers whose spouses and children had spent up to 12 hours trying to get home on U.S. 1. The speed was reduced to .5 miles per hour.

"Here it is almost 2 a.m. Thursday morning and my husband and son have been trying to get home to the Wakefield area since 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon from N.C. State," one Web site visitor wrote.

Apparantly what happened was the small amout of snow that fell melted and froze into ice and then snowed more on top of that. The explanation for the mess: http://www.wral.com/video/4109602/detail.html

Luckily, I was home in time, and spent no time in traffic. All nice and warm, enjoying the launch of the LCVG Season 2. :tu

I thought you guys might like to see my city fall to its knees in 0.7 inch of snow. ;)

Wow' date=' what a mess!

Just like they say we are 48 hrs away from another Stone Age at any given time, I guess we're also 0.5" of ice away from immobile :tu[/quote']

thats just nuts man wow

heres an interesting weather related thing coaught live on tape form my neck of the woods

http://www.kstptv5.com/article/88/

you have to click on the video link for the crash on I-94 story should be toward top of page it ahppens toward the end of the trafic segment.

0.7 inches of snow?

That. Fucking. Sucks.

:lmfao

Yeah' date=' no kidding.

In all seriousness though, I've never seen traffic like that even when we get snow that measures in the feet or even other ice storms. It was just something about yesterday that all came together at the wrong time. No preperation, snow melting and freezing to [i']ice[/i], everybody driving at the same time = mass chaos.

There were kids who had to sleep overnight at their schools because parents couldnt get to them. A guy I worked with parked his car on the side of the road and walked 3 miles to get home. Insanity

And the ones that try to go between the cars...

I was thinking the same Joel! That idiot got in between the cars!

Joey, yeah I do expect we get the ribbed quite a bit from Yankees who make fun of the Southerners that can't handle the winter weather. ;) But I tell you, it's damn hard to drive on a sheet of ice.

I usually take vacation this week every year. Most of the time I go to Myrtle Beach, SC. Last year when i was down there they had like a dusting of snow. I turned on the news and every single school was closed. Unless there is over a foot here in NY schools are open.

capt

I usually take vacation this week every year. Most of the time I go to Myrtle Beach' date=' SC. Last year when i was down there they had like a dusting of snow. I turned on the news and every single school was closed. Unless there is over a foot here in NY schools are open.

capt[/quote']

Oh yeah, that is so true. Being a kid, it was great to be in school when it snowed.