LCVG

Nintendo Revolution - Information, specs, and more rumors

Orpheus

Engadget has a brief rumor article up regarding the next Nintendo console. Some highlights include:

* That Nintendo is building gyroscopes into the controllers, presumably to add some sort of motion-control aspect to games.

* The console will have dual processors and built-in broadband (we?re assuming Ethernet, but maybe also WiFi?).

* The Revolution will have four controller ports, a hard drive, and support for high-resolution displays and Dolby Digital 5.1 channel surround sound.

* The console will be backwards-compatibility with GameCube games, and in what would only be a swipe at Sony, its drive will use HD-DVD, rather than Blu-ray, discs.

* The console will launch with a new Mario game (of course), and there is a new Zelda game in the works.?

All to be taken with an oceans worth of salt.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everything listed above actually happened... I'd be in heaven. *Crosses fingers*

Sounds like it might be expensive to make the system work with bothe the Cube's proprietery system and HD-DVD. Nintendo's always focused on value; Id like to see if they can pull this off.

The console will launch with a new Mario game (of course), and there is a new Zelda game in the works.

This is the most speculative of all bullet points above. ;)

Boy do I love cross-pollinating rumours spreading like a game of Chinese Whispers at Exaggeraters Anonymous.

A lot of the current rumours about Revolution can be traced back to Gaming Age's forum. Hell, GameSpot even credited them for a rumour. The engadget article linked comes from n-sider, which features a bunch of detailed tech specs like processor speed, memory type etc. All of which I strongly believe are utter bollocks at this point in development.

The gyroscope rumour has been on the go for a good while - many thought it was going to be in the DS. A 15GB harddrive + HD-DVD support + mini-dvd support (which is necessary for backwards compatibility)?

If any of that turns out to be true, it would defintely be cool. At this point, I will not discount any possiblity regarding what Revolution will be, nor will I believe anything I read about it. Unless Sataro Iwata comes to my house and speaks to me on the matter, I simply can't trust any "inside" information I read about it.

Wow, you mean the next Nintendo console will support networking, 4 players, HD video, surround audio, and at some point will receive games involving the characters Mario and Link?

Well consider me astounded with their surprising insight. I'd never have guessed any of those might happen.

Iain, I'm sensing sarcasm. I know it's Monday and being that it's early I'm not as "sharp" as usual..but.....well.....I'm sensing sarcasm. ;)

The one thing that does interest me is HD-DVD rumor. There have been a bunch of rumors stating MS will go that route as well. If both see the light of day with HD-DVD drives (and I'm not saying they will, just presenting a hypothetical) it could make an already ugly format war (Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD) that much more annoying....

Iain' date=' I'm sensing sarcasm. I know it's Monday and being that it's early I'm not as "sharp" as usual..but.....well.....I'm sensing sarcasm. ;)

The one thing that does interest me is HD-DVD rumor. There have been a bunch of rumors stating MS will go that route as well. If both see the light of day with HD-DVD drives (and I'm not saying they will, just presenting a hypothetical) it could make an already ugly format war (Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD) that much more annoying....[/quote']

I agree.This is only going to make E3 that much more tantalizing.I also agree that if Nintendo puts in 3/4ths of those rumored things that it could be great.

They still have to shed the "kiddie" image,though. That is their biggest hurdle,still.

Well, if this image doesn't help shed the "kiddie" image, I don't know what will?

Resident Evil 4 won't change a thing about the image problems Nintendo has. People equate the brand Nintendo with the likes of Mario Kart, Mario Party, Super Mario, Zelda etc regardless of what other adult styled titles come out on the platform.

Most of the supposed features seem like the minimum baseline needed to be competitive. The gyroscopes are a nonstandard feature to be sure, but I'd rather just have a 'normal' controller. Nintendo's 'interesting' controller choices for the last two generations have caused me to buy all my multiplatform games for other systems.

RE: Nintendo's Image - I don't think one game can change a brand that is as firmly entrenched as Nintendo. Rather, Nintendo would need to design its systems so that they don't look like toys, and change the overall composition of its game lineup. As long as most games targeted at older demographics are made for Xbox and PS2 but not Gamecube, status quo will be kept.

Nintendo would need to design its systems so that they don't look like toys

(fanboy mode = ON) I'd rather they carry on looking like toys than the irritating shape of the XBox, though. The ridged top means you can't stack it well, and it's not quite wide enough to look right in my hi-fi stack. The new-model PS2 really annoys me, too. (fanboy mode = OFF).

I do get the impression sometimes that people have a real problem with Purple, though.

(fanboy mode = ON) I'd rather they carry on looking like toys than the irritating shape of the XBox' date=' though. The ridged top means you can't stack it well, and it's not [i']quite[/i] wide enough to look right in my hi-fi stack. The new-model PS2 really annoys me, too. (fanboy mode = OFF).

I'm with you there. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my new Xbox. With the GC, SNES, NES, Saturn, DC, mini-PS2 (damn toploader, I can't stack the GC on top of it any more) I'm not sure where I can even put the damn huge thing.

More Nintendo Rumors

- Name of machine is ?Nintendo 21″

- planned for release at end of 2005

- medium is 2-sided 8cm disc, 5.4GB capacity, in a shellcase

- includes ?Home Game function? which uses IEEE protocol to locate and communicate with other Nintendo 21s in the vicinity

- ?Home Game function? is free, connect the AC adaptor and the machine talks to nearby Nintendo 21s and ?Nintendo Home"s (? could be Form instead of Home - katakana is vague). Save data is stored on the main unit and affects other machines over the network.

- ?Nintendo Home? machine is like a base station that will be put in many places and uses the PHS network for communication (popular mobile phone network). Will connect to handheld game machines and supports ?Home Game function", also sends latest info from Nintendo.

- controller is like GC controller but ?rubbing? is possible - e.g. you can control movement in a game by rubbing the controller/buttons. Also the controller has a slot.

- ?Nintendo Home? is being jointly developed with Kyosera.

- The whole controller is pressure sensitive. So rubbing can be done with the buttons or via grip.

- Digital outputs included

This seems like some bunk. Nintendo 21? What's that all about?

Plus they spelled Kyocera wrong. Just more fuel to the Revolution fire.

Glen

I can see it now. The biggest launch title will be Super Mario 21, which will confuse consumers who think that it's an older game that came out before Super Mario 64. These people will also wonder where the hell Super Mario 128 went.