LCVG

Videogame nerd stereotype

Yahoo Business reported this in January:

According to a survey conducted by Peter D. Hart Research Associates, computer and video game players spend more than three times the amount of time exercising or playing sports, volunteering in the community, reading, or engaging in religious, creative, and cultural activities than they do playing video games. In total, gamers spend 23.4 hours per week on these activities, compared to 6.8 hours per week playing games. Avid gamers -- those who play games 11 or more hours per week -- spend 34.5 hours per week on the activities mentioned above.

Please note that this study was apparently done at the behest of the Entertainment Software Association and the Yahoo newslet looks like a press release.

-j

To be honest, I didn't even know that there were stereotypes associated with video game players. Sure, I heard about the steroid abuse, but I never thought everyone was doing it.
This statement is obviously a face-saving attempt against Romier's recent accusations that he injected steroids directly into your...thumbs.

To be honest, I didn't even know that there were stereotypes associated with video game players.

Come on! You don't think thick glasses wearing, star wars poster hanging, dungeons and dragons playing, comicbook reading, chicken molesting, videogame playing nerd doesn't describe everyone in this forum?!

Come on! You don't think thick glasses wearing, star wars poster hanging, dungeons and dragons playing, comicbook reading, chicken molesting, videogame playing nerd doesn't describe everyone in this forum?!

Leave us chicken molesters out of this!

Note: They included "reading" in the list. HAHAHA. That is a nerd activity to America, sadly. About the only thing America reads is newspapers, the internet, and maybe an ocassional Tom Clancy or Steven King book.

Any good videogame nerd reads.

Geez.

Hell I used to read 3x times more than gaming and I still read quite a bit. I could sit down for 4-5 hours and absorb a book if it is really good - I even do this on re-reads. Geez.

Nope. Never heard of any of this until you guys started talking about it. I'm still not sure that you aren't joking. Do I understand correctly that you all think that more cerebral activities are a source of derision by most most people? Not in America. If that were true, reality programming would get higher ratings than your average Nova or Frontline episode, and we know that can't be true.

BTW, since this whole thing is OT anyway, I agree with you, Green Monkey, except that I wouldn't lump Stephen King in with Tom Clancy. I am not a Stephen King fan, but it's my belief that he really cares about crafting stories -- and is good at it!

-j

Note: They included "reading" in the list. HAHAHA. That is a nerd activity to America' date=' sadly. About the only thing America reads is newspapers, the internet, and maybe an ocassional Tom Clancy or Steven King book.

Any good videogame nerd reads.

Geez.

Hell I used to read 3x times more than gaming and I still read quite a bit. I could sit down for 4-5 hours and absorb a book if it is really good - I even do this on re-reads. Geez.[/quote']

Ah, but what if we spend those hours reading about gaming? (I'm guilty sometimes, heh.) :D

Wow, though. The study suggests that the nerd spends an average of roughly 3 hours a day on games. But hey, it could be worse. Like shooting up heroin...