LCVG

Possible Playstation 3 picture

The Daisy

Looks convincing to me for a lot of reasons. But then I think, "Why is their a marketing ad already produced in March for a system that isn't coming out until next year?" It just seems to premature for Sony to have made such an ad. But the details seem believable - well done. Props to the person who made this up.

The reflections on the ?console? image throw me. It doesn't come off as very professional from a photographic point of view which I think is what gives it away to be a fake. The general design though I rather like, but I just don't get the sense that it is real. Two DVD logos in the bottom right as well. One makes sense of course, but a second? DVD-A is out of the question due to wasted additional cost on a new console and Sony's ties with SACD...

If one examines it closely by zooming the image you can also make out some blocking behind elements like the 'UMD' text on the front which also give it away to be a photoshop job.

Daniel

I think it's very nicely rendered, but I don't think that's anything close to what we'll see. It doesn't seem "real" at all or anything in tune with what Sony do. I suspect we'll end up with something similiar to the Japanese PSX stylings.

Then again, I thought the final PS2 design was a joke too.

Yeah, it looks kinda fake. I'm just curious...and please point out if I'm missing the obvious, but why would the PS3 support the UMD format or have a slot for it? I really doubt they would make the PSP games playble on it, why have it for movies when the darn thing is going to support Blu-Ray...it doesn't add up to me?

not to mention the UMD movies are formated for the small screen

That's not true (I don't think). I thought I read that the movies are actually full resolution 720x480, but are scaled down by hardware. The reason I remember this is because it seemed so odd that they weren't just authoring the video for the native resolution.

I'm sure this is a fake, but to give validity to the UMD drive, there were rumors that Sony would be using re-writable optical media for their next console. Everyone assumed that would be a blue-ray function. But perhaps blue-Ray-RW isn't far enough along, and so they'll use UMD-RW instead.

I'm sure this is a fake, but to give validity to the UMD drive, there were rumors that Sony would be using re-writable optical media for their next console. Everyone assumed that would be a blue-ray function. But perhaps blue-Ray-RW isn't far enough along, and so they'll use UMD-RW instead.

For what use? In place of a memory card, or to write your own videos to UMD?

Unfortunately, no news about the PS3 in March:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/30/news_6121324.html

TOKYO--Several months ago, Sony Computer Entertainment announced plans to hold a premiere event in Japan prior to the Electronic Entertainment Expo, where it would unveil its next-generation console, most commonly called the PlayStation 3. Reportedly, the event was scheduled for March, but the month passed by without any invitations going out to members of the Japanese game industry. Today, Reuters Japan is reporting that SCE has officially canceled the event, ending speculation that there would be a surprise announcement tomorrow, the last day of the month.

I had no idea anything like this had been planned; it would have been interesting.

I can't get Dan's link to work, but from the image I'm calling Fake. For a start, there's the description of the colour as "Piano Black". If Sony held such a trademark, then Pioneer would be in trouble for using the term to describe their plasmas. Also, as you've all mentioned, the UMD slot makes no sense whatsoever - UMD is aimed squarely at being portable, and the PS3 will be using 5" discs of the BluRay, DVD or CD types.

Personally, I wouldn't have expected a MemStickDuo slot, either; this just adds to the suggestion that whoever mocked this up was expecting the PS3 to play PSP games.