LCVG

Diablo 3 in the works?

jhfagan

Is there any plans that anyone knows of for a 3rd Diablo on the horizon?

I was just thinking, that it's been a good # of years since Diablo 2, and that game is pretty worn out and "dated" by now.

They need to ramp up and try to best themselves yet again, as they did with 2 over the original.

1 and 2 both have special places in my heart, but I am kinda itching to see what a 3rd one could bring.

You can pretty much be gaurenteed a Dialo 3 is coming Jim. There were some reports of Blizzard bulking up on staff to work on a property many believed to be the next Diablo. My main concern is that Blizzard North lost allot of important staff. Folks like Erich Schaefer, Max Schaefer, David Brevik, plus former Blizzard vice president Bill Roper. Not too mention many of thier key staff members from the previous Diablo games have moved on to games like Guild Wars. It's only a concern though, as Blizzard has always released solid product. I don't doubt we'll hear something soon though.

BRING BACK WERT! :D

Actually based on the ad on Blizzard's homepage I think it's more likely they're developing either another strategy title (Starcraft 2 or Warcraft 4), or both an RTS AND Diablo 3. The reason is that the ad didn't specify RPG experience as mandatory. They said that RPG experience was a plus point. For a team leader to lead the development of an RPG, I think he would need mandatory RPG experience. Which is why I think that ad was for the leader of an RTS development team, and the RPG elements is a plus because Blizzard likes to incoporate RPG elements in strategy games like Warcraft.

This was further confirmed when Blizzard hired ex-EA/WestWood game designer Dustin Browder, who was the team director for Battle for Middle-earth, which also incorporated those RPG elements Blizzard uses by incorporating hero units. Here's the full article regarding this:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-battle-for-middle-earth/593745p1.html?fromint=1

I think it's reasonable to assume that Blizzard is developing an RTS. Whether they're doing both the RTS and Diablo 3 is up for speculation.

Actually based on the ad on Blizzard's homepage

I'm not talking about the recent postings on thier home page Tranquility. I'm talking about job postings that appeared on Blizzard's site nearly 2-3 months ago when these rumors I mentioned were running around the net.

From back in early February:

New Job Opening - Lead Game Designer

Blizzard North is looking for an experienced Game Designer to lead the team that created Diablo and Diablo II. If you've led the design of a quality shipped title and feel you have the talent and determination for the job, see the Lead Game Designer position for more information.

New Position - 3D Character Artist

Blizzard North is looking to hire an experienced 3D Character Artist to help populate our game worlds with incredible characters and creatures. If you can translate concepts into fully realized 3D characters and love making new creatures from the abyss, then look to our 3D Character Artist position for more information.

New Job Opening - Environmental Technical Artist

Are you always looking to create that perfect, spooky environment? Is working with artists and programmers to get every detail of light, model, texture and FX perfect part of your ideal day? If you said yes to these questions, then Blizzard North may have the perfect position for you! Please see our Environmental Technical Artist posting for more information.

New Position - Reports and Tools Programmer

Blizzard is looking for a programmer that is experienced in gathering huge amounts of data and presenting them in perfectly understandable reports and presentations. This person would also be able to create the user interfaces that would make manipulating the data seem easy. If this sounds like this would appeal to you, please refer to our Reports and Tools Programmer for more information.

Apologies for not clarifying that.

As a fan of both the original and D2, I would welcome Diablo 3. My only hopes are that they finally make the leap to a true 3D environment with control over the camera zoom/angle (which shouldn't be so hard since they already developed a 3D engine for Warcraft 3) and add some character customization options (e.g. gender, hair style/color, skin color, etc.). I would be one happy Diablo camper!

[Edited to add in the camera and character customization options I forgot about that I always wished for when playing Diablo I/II.]

I'm not talking about the recent postings on thier home page Tranquility. I'm talking about job postings that appeared on Blizzard's site nearly 2-3 months ago when these rumors I mentioned were running around the net.

ooooooooh my bad, I completely forgot about that one. Cool then Blizzard developing both an RTS and an RPG. Can't help but drool :drool

• 3 weeks later...

Some news from Gamespots latest Rumor Control:

RUMOR #5: Some postproduction work on Diablo III has been completed.

Source: Blizzard fan site Diabloii.net.

The official story: "We'd definitely like to revisit the Diablo universe in the future, but we haven't announced any plans to do so at this time."--Blizzard rep.

What we heard: Mid-week, the fan site Diabloii.net received an e-mail from someone claming to be a "musician in Czech Republic." The person said that, "I have recently been to Bratislava in Slovak Republic for recording sessions with local Radio Symphony Orchestra, where we just recorded music for Diablo 3." So why should we give credence to what could be a crank from the former Warsaw Pact? Because the music for the Diablo II: Lord of Destruction was recorded in Bratislava, Slovakia, with the Slovak Radio Philharmonic--around four months before the expansion pack was released. By that same calculus, if the music for Diablo III was recorded this month, then the game could be released before the end of the year. (Although some rumors pegging it as a PlayStation 3 launch title would make that unlikely.) So while there's no definitive proof that Diablo III is in the can, it is looking more and more likely that Blizzard will announce the game soon, perhaps as early as E3.

Bogus or not bogus?: Probably not bogus.

Oh yes, I will have Diablo III! :tu