LCVG

Midnight Club 3: Dub

dogbert

I'm a sucker for arcadey racing games. Always have been, probably always will. I've been ignoring MC3 because, frankly, I couldn't stand the first game in the series & I'm not into the whole car modding 'scene'. However, I'm hearing really good things about this from folk in the UK, plus it's been getting very positive press. Less punishing difficulty compared to MC2, wider tracks, lots of live modes, easy to use modding that allows a lot of customisation (with custom cars able to be used online so you get to show off your swanky look), great big cities to drive in etc.

People have been comparing it very favourably to Burnout 3.

Is anyone planning to pick it up? I've got it coming in the mail from Gamerang soon hopefully.

I'm surprised it took this long to get a Midnight Club 3 discussion going.

I've played it a bit and (so far) like it a lot more than the previous games. I'm not so much into the car modding scene either but I am glad that Midnight Club 3 appears to offer quality racing and gameplay in this category (something that has been missing with the NFS Underground series and in SRS).

I'm with you guys in that I am more of an arcadey racer sort of guy. No interest in GT4 or Forza. My favorite car games were Midtown Madness, Crazy Taxi, and Beatle Racing. Any of you play Beatle Racing on the N64? Anyway, I am slightly interested in this game, but it doesn't trump my current crop of RE4 and Doom 3.

Burnout 3 meets Midtown Madness, all draped in the stylings of NFS:Underground. I think that's the best description I can come up with.

Handling is arcadey, obviously, with cars being very easy to control. City is nice & big, lots of wide streets, lots of narrow shortcuts, lots of jumps, lots of back alleys, lots of traffic getting in the way.

Haven't gotten to ride a bike yet, but did get to bash lots of cops on bikes. Which is nice.

I'm really liking it so far.

Burnout 3 meets Midtown Madness, all draped in the stylings of NFS:Underground. I think that's the best description I can come up with.

Very high praise. I love both B3 and MM3.

Still trying to get a definitive story about whether the PSP version is online or not. A write-up at circuit city (of all places) suggests that it is, but I don't trust that.

Still trying to get a definitive story about whether the PSP version is online or not. A write-up at circuit city (of all places) suggests that it is, but I don't trust that.

I'm interested in the PSP version too. I'd like to know who is developing it and if it's a port or a different game (I'm hoping for a port).

This is a great single player game, but I have mixed feelings about the online play. I've never been a fan of having to unlock stuff in sp to access it in mp. That's a turnoff. That said, I won't miss out on mp because of that inconvience. It helps that sp is solid and makes progressing to where you're competitive enjoyable. My complaints about online play are based on a limited amount of play time. While playing ctf, people would hit the person with the flag and not get it. Someone said it's the worse lag since Crimson Skies as a reference. I've also experienced some connection problems. A minor issue I had was it didn't have the score with the names of everyone like it is in MM3. I miss that. That's very important to me in knowing the score and who's talking, etc. Those issues aside Im enjoying the game. I hope it has some legs and warrants some online fixes which could make it one of the best xbl games available. Of course, I still play MM3. :D

I've mentioned to a few people about my weird liking of this game... Here it is as follows:

I don't know a thing about cars. I don't drive. I hate these "riced" up import cars. But for some reason I'm enjoying the hell out of this game. I've got a fairly swanky looking Mitsubishi of some sort, that I'm sure - if I actually owned - I could pick up chicks in.

The graphics are solid, the effects (weather/lighting) are nice, the driving is fun (nowhere near realistic or so I've been told) and the sound/music is good too. There's a nice sense of speed, and lots of cool upgrades and options for your vehicles. All the vehicles are licensed, and I was impressed at seeing some choppers from West Coast Choppers included as well.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Midtown Madness 3. I've heard that the online modes are very similar as well. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try it out later tonight or this weekend. It certainly seems like a lot of fun, and I'd encourage people to at least try it out and rent it for a few days.

Pretty much bang on the money for how I feel about it too. I love that the car upgrades can be done automatically & that the whole bodywork stuff to 'improve' the looks is completely optional unlike NFS:U.

I bought a Lotus Elise last night, can't wait to try it out.

God, I don't want another game......

When has that ever stopped you before? :)

I'm continually surprised with how much I'm enjoying this game. I'm only 9% into it so far, but I've unlocked a few cars and nice upgrades. Problem is, I'm not saving my money for better cars, and continually upgrading my Mitsubishi Eclipse. Right now I've decked it out like Darth Vader. Glossy black, some nasty looking rims and a spoiler, with fire red flames, flashing neon and nitrous. Maybe tonight I'll try and get some pics of it.

I'm at 9% too. I've spent a little upgrading the look of my basic Eclipse, but nothing too outrageous. Won a muscle car last night, and am close to winning my first bike. The Lotus Elise is very nice - haven't touched my Eclipse since I got it.

Suffered my first crash lsat night thanks to the dreaded custom soundtracks bug - if you select a custom soundtrack, there's a chance of it crashing when it tries to load the city after you complete a race. Gah.

Speaking of bugs,

Whenever I go to the city map, it won't stop scrolling through the cities, as if I've got one of the triggers pressed in. To get it to stop, I have to squeeze both triggers, and let the left one up just a little to let it start automatically scrolling again. It's like a slot machine.

I haven't tried a different controller, but I can't see why that would make a difference. There's no evidence that the trigger is stuck during gameplay.

I love the game so far. I'm still using my first car (Dodge Neon).

Thanks for that second paragraph Brian. Really. I'm a complete sucker for games with the Elise in, but at the same time I'm (a) broke, (B) should really, really rinse GT4, TrackMania and Burnout 3, as well as finish off those last really difficult bits of OutRun2 and WO3:SE before I buy any more driving games and © love my custom soundtracks.

• 9 months later...

Rockstar just announced "Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition Remix" - effectively the greatest hits re-release of this, but featuring a bunch of extra content...

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 3, 2006--Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is pleased to announce Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix, retailing for $19.99 as part of the PlayStation®2 Greatest Hits program and the Xbox® Platinum Hits collection. Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix features all the cities, cars and music from Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition while taking the unprecedented move of adding entirely new content with 24 new vehicles, a new city (Tokyo), new music, new races and battle maps.

"We are thrilled with the response Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition received, and we wanted to be able to give something extra to the fans who have supported the series throughout the years," said Dan Houser, Rockstar Games Vice President of Creative. "We're giving them access to all-new cars, a new city and new music with Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix, along with all the speed and style that defines the series."

Developed by Rockstar San Diego, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix will be available for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and Xbox® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and is expected to hit North American and European retail shelves in March.