LCVG
Romier S

Guild Wars - Discussion Thread Part 2

Congrats Romier! I'm not sure if you feel the same, but after ascending, all that went through my my mind is Thank God I'm not in the desert anymore!

There is definitely a feeling of relief to be done with all of the desert missions. Partly because of their difficulty, but more so because of the amount of time I’ve spent out there. Sucks to be limited in the time I can play anymore. I want to go back to the days I could play the game for 10 hours straight.:)

GreenMonkey - the henches can be quite bad. I play a warrior, so the combination I use for henches may be different than what you should use. Romier or other elementatlists could maybe help in that area. I can say this much, I've never regularly used the ranger hench, no offense to the rangers around here. I would think your priority would be having a tanker and a healer hench, then possibly another damage dealer.

Yeah, henchies are what they are; a decent alternative to having to find a group. They can be utterly inept at times, yet they can also come through and save your ass in a pinch. I’ve experienced both, but I’ve never had many complaints in general about them because they always worked pretty well for me as an Elementalist/Monk (fire based). Alesia should be a staple in your party of course (as your primary healer). I always take the two warriors to run interference for me (Big Thom later in the game, though if I remember right you only have access to the first one off the bat and I can’t remember his name for the life of me.) I also grab the Elementalist henchie for more fire power, and either the Necro or Mesmer for DOT’s and curses. I’ve made it through a ton of the instance missions with this setup as well as completing most of the quests in later areas with only henchies.

Keep in mind that I’m talking 6-man group here (and later 8 man where you can add a second healer) and you’re more than likely limited to 4. In that case I’d go with Alesia, the Warrior, and the second Elementalist..

Tom made a great suggestion in getting used to calling targets. This is an essential strategy to learn for later groups (good groups) and may help in directing the henchies more efficiently. You just hold the CNTRL key and then click on an enemy and you will call out what you are attacking (do the same to call out your health/energy/bonus or penalty, etc. by clicking on them). Target calling is a tactic best used by the Warrior in a group to direct the entire party onto whatever enemy he is attacking so they can move through each enemy quickly and efficiently. Most good groups will have one target caller to direct attacks, and one assigned leader to map out where the group should go on the mini-map (by drawing on it). If you are in a group where everyone is all over the place, utterly disorganized, and you’re just seeing everyone’s health dwindle like crazy, you are more than likely lacking those two key components.

Highlights from this weeks update

• Changed the XP requirements per skill point for advanced characters. Previously, the required XP kept increasing with each successive skill point, making it very difficult to continue earning skill points after taking on a new secondary profession. Now, the required XP caps out at 20,000 per skill point.
  • Doubled the XP gained from killing boss monsters.
  • Introduced rare scrolls which, when used, grant the entire party double or triple XP for a limited duration. We also added traders for these new scrolls.
  • Changed the XP reward for ascension. Previously, when a character ascended, he was automatically advanced to level 20, regardless of his current level. This meant that characters who had already advanced to level 20 prior to ascension received no reward for ascending. Now, ascension gives a fixed reward of 50,000 XP.
  • Updated secondary profession quests so that when a player accepts a new secondary profession, he now gets the starter skills for that profession.
  • Improved salvage kits so that they always successfully salvage runes from monster-dropped armor. There is still a chance of destroying a rune when using a salvage kit to try to retrieve it from your own armor.
  • Added confirmation prompt when dragging an item to the ground during a trading session or just after a trading session, to prevent scammers from closing the trading window in the middle of a trade to try to trick their trading partners into dropping an item.
  • New quests: "The Ascalon Settlement" in North Kryta Province; "The Price of Steel" in Silverwood; and "The False Gods" in Temple of the Ages.
  • Added unique artwork for the ascended version of the Monk's Saintly Armor.
  • Updated the descriptions for skills Fertile Season, Balthazar's Spirit, Chimera of Intensity, Irresistible Blow, Mind Freeze, Ice Spikes, Deep Freeze, and Glyph of Energy to more accurately match the actual skill effect.
  • Updated mission victory conditions in Thunderhead Keep and Iron Mines of Moladune, and monster spawns in The Dragon?s Lair and Ice Caves of Sorrow, to allow players to capture skills from boss monsters before completing the mission.
  • Updated monster and loot spawns in Sage Lands, Watchtower Coast, Frozen Forest, The Scar, Vulture Drifts, Snake Dance, and Ettin?s Back, and for quests Iron Horse War Machine, The Monk?s Path, and Seeking the Seer.

Couple more points to add is that I found that "c" is handy to target the mob closest to you. That way if you have an enemy pounding on you, you can shift the attack to that mob. The really is an art to using henchmen well, takes a bit of practice and you really need to look closely at how they act in order to anticipate their stupidity sometimes to avoid it.

Another thing that I've found is if I'm having a hard time finding a group I change divisions. Sometimes division 1 is not the busiest so it?s good to check the others too. Another thing that works well is just starting your own group, I find that a lot of people are too timid to do just that and there will be 5 or 6 people all calling LFG at the same time for over 10 min. Later in the game you'll start to realize that sometimes the henchmen are much better than real people. With the game not requiring a credit card, there seems to be an abundance of ass hats or 10 year old punks that are still using their off hand to jerk off at their characters while trying to play.

Excellent set of changes. The XP for the ascension is nice, and I'll be heading back to Kryta to take care of those quests as well. :tu Those doube/triple XP runes are going to be damn nice. Capping the Xp gain for skill points gets a big thumbs up from me as well.

Yeah, sucks that I got the "there is a new build" message 1 second after I changed my secondary class. :bh

guess it cost you 50K exp too...

But a very welcome change to the EXP after 20. Its funny, Travis and I were talking about it just when it happened.

guess it cost you 50K exp too.

Yep, but what are you gonna do you know? I'll just have to take advantage the next time I roll up a character (which won't be for awhile since I usually only focus on one character in these games).

I think it's really nice that the changes made are generally done to make the players lives EASIER. More experience, little to no chance of losing a Rune, new items for temp experience gain and rebalancing quests for more accessiblity. I know I want to hit something when I try to salvage a kick ass Major Rune only to lose it and get a wooden plank instead. :mad:

By the way, the change to the level cap to 20,000 XP is retroactive. So you may well log in and find yourself with extra skill points. This was posted over at The Guild Hall by Alex Weeks (an NC Soft representative):

This change is retroactive. Players who have earned sufficient experience beyond level 20 will find themselves with extra skill points available as soon as they go and kill a monster. I've seen players reporting having been awarded several extra skill points (in one case, over 30) as a result of this change.

Excellent! I wasa bit miffed about that, as i want to change my secondary but only had about 16 skill points available to outfit a new secondary class (plus I still ahve 2 or 3 elites to capture for my primary). Eventually we need to go out looking for the new quests that ahve been added. :tu

Well I gave Hell's Precipice a whirl last night, had a pretty good group with 3 monks, a nec, couple of war, a ran and myself. One of the longest missions I've been on and rightly so. We did very well untill we had to kill the last boss on the bloodstone and got totally owned when he completely revived himself after we got him down to no hp and spawned a bunch of helpers. :mad: Hate dying at the end.

Also started dabbling in the arena matches, fun stuff. Really makes you rethink how to play your class. :rock

Tom made a great suggestion in getting used to calling targets. This is an essential strategy to learn for later groups (good groups) and may help in directing the henchies more efficiently. You just hold the CNTRL key and then click on an enemy and you will call out what you are attacking (do the same to call out your health/energy/bonus or penalty, etc. by clicking on them).

Thanks for the calling tips, I will give that a try.

What I really need to do is pick up a second copy of the game so I can play it with my wife - that way we would have at least 2 characters. But with a baby on the way with no health insurance, spare money pretty much doesn't exist :( Too much money to qualify for assistance, but not enough to swallow the costs:(

Anyway, thanks for the tips, maybe I'll give it a shot again this weekend.

No guild invite yet :(

Played through the quest that kicked my ass before - with normal people instead of henches.

Much easier.

bump.

Just an FYI, one of our guild boys, Zlande Hajduk (Shawn - a coworker of mine) was given a Celestial Sigil by a friend of his that is in one of the other guilds that regularly wins in the Hall of Heroes.

Of course, only the fearless guild leader can actually use the sigil, so we should get together in there some night and work some of that hot PvP action and get a Guild Hall on the go. :)

You available tommorrow night Tom? I can meet your buddy and get the Guild Hall thing done and maybe hit you guys up for some help with a coop mission or two.

For Guild Wars, I'm always ready. :D It beats out Swat anyday.

Sounds like a plan, set the time, and we can make this all happen. ;)

Count me in as well tomorrow, GF closes so I have til 10pm EST to myself. I'm jsut about ready for my GW break to be over anyways. :)

Forgot I had a SWAT match scheduled for tonight so I may only be able to get on for a little bit to get the Guild Hall thing in order. Anyone available during the weekend, like Saturday or Sunday night?

Forgot I had a SWAT match scheduled for tonight so I may only be able to get on for a little bit to get the Guild Hall thing in order. Anyone available during the weekend, like Saturday or Sunday night?

Bah. Screw SWAT for one night, I'm willing to. :) Get Mark to come on over and we can knock off your guys coops. Should be a good group of 4 or 5 of us with Travis along too.

I won't be home until 8ish, for SWAT or Guild Wars, whichever we end up playing...

I've actually got an itch for SWAT though. Really want to start tackling some of the harder levels in the game so I'll probably end up playing that for awhile tonight. I may be up for some GW afterwards though. Has Mark ascended yet? If we don't get too it tonight, I'm down for Saturday night for as long as you want to play. I have absolutely NOTHING planned and my wife is at work until late so I can play until I drop for once.

Yep, I have Ascended. Did a while ago, in fact. :)

Personally I'd also rather scratch the SWAT itch, so I'll be co-op'in it up tonight :tu

Hey guys. I just wanted to chime in and say "Damn" I should have listened to you all sooner ;) I just got GW and am LOVING it right now. Pre-Searing of course and only lvl4 but, holy crap is this fun! Also, I love that the instances aren't crowded with griefers - just you and your party.

I've played just about every MMO out there and only stayed with a few past the first month but, I'll definitely be staying with Guild Wars. GW is different from those others - not that they are bad just completely different desings - but, GW "feels" sort of like playing Neverwinter multiplayer or the older Vampire (redemption) multiplayer mixed with MMO hubs and its a whole lot prettier game engine :D. I did play WoW from beta till the BG update and was in Anarchy for 2 yrs (love Sci-Fi) so there are some other solid MMo's out there but GW is so refreshingly different and genuinely has more of a RPG feel to it than most of the others. Thanks to all for talking this one up - although my wife now hates you all Even More :tu .

Great to have another onboard. ONe of us will get a guild invite out to you soon (today hopefully). :tu

Ha! As Travis said, good to see new faces indeed. If you need any loot, money, or just help in general feel free to send me a tell, PM, or AIM.