LCVG

Here we go again

EnemaEms

Really? That makes me so angry! I hope they...

Hang on a moment.

Meanwhile, in other news, relatives of murdered huntsmen are suing Disney - if they hadn't have made Bambi, the kids wouldn't have been so upset they started viciously garotting those nasty guys who are just like the ones that killed her mum.

Or something.

Or, to stop being quite so sarcastic for a moment, thousands of people continue to die in car accidents around the world every year, but no-one has yet used the "Gran Tourismo/Burnout/Midtown Madness made me do it" defence.

Originally posted by iainl@Sep 9 2003, 08:14 AM

Or, to stop being quite so sarcastic for a moment, thousands of people continue to die in car accidents around the world every year, but no-one has yet used the "Gran Tourismo/Burnout/Midtown Madness made me do it" defence.

Actually, when I was playing GTA3 for six hours a day, driving afterwards was an exercise in danger. I kept wanting to peel around people stopped at lights or drive them off the road. If I knew I was going anywhere, I had to stop playing for a bit beforehand, to let my mind adjust.

I categorically disagree with games/movies/music *causing* any violent acts or holding creators responsible for violence in society, but I do think graphic depictions in games and movies have desensitized us to the consequences of violent acts. It might make it easier for a crazy kid to shoot his classmates, since he already knows what it "feels" like to frag aliens and Nazis.

We're going to have a much harder time arguing for our hobby's harmlessness when photo-realism and true rag-doll physics come into play in our shoot-em-ups.

It's tragic that Americans live in such a sue-happy society.

adamsappel,

You raised a good point about the effects of desensitization. However, I submit that (and I think you've implied already) movies, which have been around far longer than games, have always, always had the same effects. Though movies aren't interactive, the viewer can infer just as much about the "feel" of firing a weapon at another human being, or shredding them with a knife, etc., etc. Plus movies are already realistic. Sometimes too realistic, even.

So why don't we tend to see the same sort of objection towards violent movies (for this discussion, anyway)?

Though there isn't any gratuitous violence that appears in games but not movies, I think the distinction lies in the notion that games are, by default, for kids.

Society needs to realize that they are not. In the same way that movies aren't by default for kids.

No matter how graphic the movie, the visuals in a videogame are far more visceral, especially a FPS. Watching The Fast and the Furious didn't give me any understanding of how to drive a car (though it did make me peel out of the parking lot), but GT3 does illustrate how a car behaves at speed. A game like Doom/Postal 2/Counter-Strike (or even Cabela's Deer Hunter) might not necessarily teach you how to shoot a gun, but I think dumb/crazy teenagers might come to think that is what shooting someone is like. Kinda cool, in fact. Still, even a game as (likely) violent and socially-irredeemable as Manhunt has less impact on violent-prone teens than poor parental supervision.

Nothing boils my blood more then when some "social group" blames the fall of society on video games, music, or movies.

Being a parent my self I feel that behavior disorders fall on the responsibility of parenting. To many times you here "oh they listen to rap or morning shows that discriminate women and that?s why they beat women or treat women like crap." When more times then not its how the person was raised, what they have seen in there own family.

I'm not saying that they weren't influenced by the media, I just don't think society should base it's fall entirely on it.

A foot note to the whole violence in the media thing is this thought... I feel the nightly new is the most violent thing on tv. Any one else agree with that?

Originally posted by AnthonyVolpe+Sep 10 2003, 07:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AnthonyVolpe @ Sep 10 2003, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bobbio@Sep 10 2003, 10:31 AM

I feel the nightly news is the most violent thing on tv. Any one else agree with that?

Yeah, but you can ban GTA III. You can't ban reality.

And you can't sue reality either. No money there.

:? [/b]

Yes but news directers can chose, ban, what, goes on the news as well.

I feel you're being slightly cryptic regarding what exactly you consider "violence" on the news, but if it's in the interest of sanitizing every TV broadcast so that our children can escape mentally unmolested, then I'm all against it.

If it's legitimate news, then there's no reason it should be censored. If you don't want your kids seeing it, then don't let them gain access to it. It's within the domain of parenting, not that of the news directors.

Edit: After re-reading Bobbio's posts I'm not sure what exactly he was suggesting by his above quote. If I have misinterpreted it, please accept my apologies.

Originally posted by Sam P@Sep 11 2003, 12:27 AM

I feel you're being slightly cryptic regarding what exactly you consider "violence" on the news, but if it's in the interest of sanitizing every TV broadcast so that our children can escape mentally unmolested, then I'm all against it.

If it's legitimate news, then there's no reason it should be censored. If you don't want your kids seeing it, then don't let them gain access to it. It's within the domain of parenting, not that of the news directors.

Edit: After re-reading Bobbio's posts I'm not sure what exactly he was suggesting by his above quote. If I have misinterpreted it, please accept my apologies.

Sounds like you read into it right.

What I am talikng about when I say violince, is the fact I feel I don't need to know how many people were mureded in the city last night and how.

World news I have no problem with. such as war covarge or bombings there not. quite every day acurances, with the exceptopn of bombings.