LCVG

Metroid Prime: Hunters

Chris F

To my knowledge, online was never in the works for Hunters. The only two games I've seen mentioned for online play this year for the DS have been Animal Crossing and Mario Kart.

I know. I was hoping they'd surprise us. Online multiplayer would have been the saviour of this title for me, because I doubt it will have a decent single player game. My guess is that it'll be a lot like Quake 3. Half hearted single player, with great multiplayer. Except for the fact noone I know has a DS.

The news that this will not feature online support fills me with nothing more than indifference. I love the Metroid series with great vigor, but I've not seen much in this title that has me excited. For me, Metroid has always been about a robust single player experience, and the thought of a multiplayer deathmatch edition doesn't do much to get me reved up. Also considering that the demo left me a little underwhelmed, I can't say that online play would have done much to motivate a purchase from me at this point.

Perhaps as the game approaches its overdue release, I'll see something with a bit more depth and polish. For the time being, I'm taking a skeptical wait-and-see approach.

There is going to be a Metroid/DS bundle after release, for $149.99 most likely, FYI.

Hopefully that $149 price includes a coupon for a free acupuncture session to alleviate the hand pain caused by actually playing the game in the stock control configuration.

Hopefully that $149 price includes a coupon for a free acupuncture session to alleviate the hand pain caused by actually playing the game in the stock control configuration.

Someone commented this on cheapassgamer that helped me a lot:

Controls are good if you know how to use you hands like Nintendo reccomends= Left hand on d-pad/L button, right hand with sylus with pinky finger under the game system. Feels like a glove when played this way. Makes the game an easy to play.

Totally agree. The pinky finger stabilizer helps. Feels like it gives better stylus control too.

I'm liking the FPS with the stylus. Much closer to a mouse than analog sticks. And I have wrist problems on and off, but playing it this way doesn't bother me.

• 7 months later...

Reviving this thread from quite some time ago.

The Metroid Hunters site launched yesterday.

Here's some good news from the press conference today. Information gleamed from the IGN guys at the conference.

- The single player campaign is only slightly shorter than the original Metroid Prime for the Gamecube

- The VO-IP chat in game works very well. It mutes the speakers when someone presses the button to talk, so only one person at a time.

- 6 multiplayer modes including Prime Hunter which seems to be a King of Hill type mode.

- Lots more stats on Nintendowifi.com Win Streaks, Kill Streaks, Favorite Hunter, Head Shots

Damnit. There's another $30 bucks for the 30th. Apparently Tetris and Oblivion wasn't enough.

Damnit!

Glen

Yep, I'm already in for my cash on the 30th, both this and Tetris. Sadly I dunno which will get the most play. That being said, I'm always up for more Metroid action in any format, especially since I seem to have been playing them en masse this year so far.

Gamespot has their impressions of Hunters up if you care to read them. It sounds like the game has come quite a ways:

The demo included a look at the game's intro, which featured a montage of the six bounty hunters: Sylux, Weavel, Noxus, Trace, Spire, and Kanden. From there, the main menu offered a look at the two game modes. The single-player game--which Vorodi noted was slightly shorter than Metroid Prime for the GC--will offer a slightly different spin on the typical adventure. Unlike in the other Metroid titles, Samus won't be getting jacked and losing all her gear. Instead, you can plan on using a fully powered Samus. Your mission is to collect crystals called octoliths that are spread out throughout the galaxy. The unique items are relics from an ancient civilization that have been transmitting telepathic messages to bounty hunters far and wide. The single-player game will send you out on a hunt for mysterious crystals that will take you out of federation territory and into the fringes of space. For those keeping score at home, the game takes place between Metroid Prime 1 and 2. Fans will notice that Samus will be piloting the ship seen in Metroid Prime but sporting the armor seen in Echoes.

From the way it sounds, the single player will definitely be more in line with a standard Metroid Prime game, which is good to hear. I hated the idea of wasting a game that was nothing more than a series of multiplayer challenges involving bots. It's good to see that there's some exploration thrown in there for good measure, even if it's in a form that's a bit different that what we've come to expect from the series.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it. Played a match of Multi-player against one other person, he was killing me, 5 to 1, then the match dropped out. I did about 30 minutes of the single player as well. My toughest learning curve, the controls. I think I have to use the thumb strap for this game, I can't hold the stylus correctly and it right. The thumb works really well, just like a mouse, but it keeps moving and loosening up on me. I think I'll look at the non-touch controls and see how those are.... all in all though, it's a good looking/sounding game so far!

Tom

I just played the first little bit (until you first return to your ship). Wow! The graphics are great (for the DS, of course) and the framerate is beautiful. Fluid control. Great sound. I'm loving all the music so far.

I love the fact that while so many console FPS games these days struggle to hold 30 FPS and go with a narrow field of view (two things that always annoy me), Nintendo gives us a wickedly fast shooter with a wide field of view on the tiny DS screens :)

Back to it...

After about an hour with the game, it definitely looks like multiplayer is where it's at. I really need to give Adventure mode more of a chance, but it's not too terribly interesting for me at the moment. Like you guys said, it's got great music and the graphics are better than i expected. I am also getting used to the controls but I think it they are better than a dual analog setup.

My friend code is:

Im currently 0-2.

I also just played through the first little bit until you return to the ship. As mentioned, the default controls do take some getting used to. I found it hard to do the multiple jumps when climbing platforms by double tapping the screen. My left hand cramped up a bit the way you hold the DS and use the thumb for controls and index finger for firing, all the while balancing the DS to use the stylus to look around and aim. It does feel intuitive, but my hand did hurt after awhile. Maybe that's because I played Tetris for an hour before hand.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet. How do you determine your friend code?

My left thumb gets sore playing this, too. I can't comfortably use the d-pad while mashing the left trigger so much. I'll see if I get used to it (I usually do).

Played a few rounds online last night after getting into bed. Good times! :) Didn't stumble across my friend code, yet. Will find that today...