LCVG

Best way to network the entire home?

cane corso

Here's the situation:

I have my FIOS (comes from the garage) going directly to the living room into a wireless router. The Xbox goes directly into the router and all the computers (1 laptop and three desktops) connect wirelessly. The desktops are in the office at the other end of the house and other two are in the kids' rooms upstairs. I am tired of the wireless setup. The desktops have trouble connecting and when they do it's pretty low, which limits the use of my FIOS and makes it hard to move files from computer to computer.

So...I am thinking of running Cat 5E to all the rooms. I am not sure what the best setup for this is (including ease, cost, future). I originally planned to run one wire from the current router to the office and run another from the router somewhere upstairs. Then, have that run connected to another router and have all the upstairs bedrooms connected to it. I am not sure that would even work.

I also discovered that I have two runs of Cat 5E in the attic (in addition to the two I knew about - the living room and the office) and all of them leading to a box in the garage. I am thinking I can put a router/data distribution device in the garage and have the FIOS go to that instead of the living room. Then I would already have a run going to the living room, office and two in the attic. I could use those in the attic to drop to the kids' rooms. Would all the computers still be "networked" via this method?

What do you think? Any help is appreciated.

Here's the situation:

I also discovered that I have two runs of Cat 5E in the attic (in addition to the two I knew about - the living room and the office) and all of them leading to a box in the garage. I am thinking I can put a router/data distribution device in the garage and have the FIOS go to that instead of the living room. Then I would already have a run going to the living room' date=' office and two in the attic. I could use those in the attic to drop to the kids' rooms. Would all the computers still be "networked" via this method?

What do you think? Any help is appreciated.[/quote']

That's the way I'd do it. Relatively easy, as no additional wiring is neccessary, and you don't have to put another switch or anything in the line.