LCVG

Ebonics taught as a second language, yo

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2969790,00.html

Some of the quotes in here look like they'd be found on The Onion, not in a real newspaper.

On a serious note, anyone have thoughts on this? I'm blown away by it. The thought of tax dollars going to teach slang is ridiculous to me.

For fun, I put the above URL into The Dialectizer, chose "jive", and got the following.

Take this for it's humor value only. I absolutely mean no offense whatsoever. Think Airplane!.

Shiiiiiiiiiiit! (Golly!)

http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,208~12588~2969790,00.html

Some of the quotes in here look like they'd be found on The Onion, not in a real newspaper.

On a serious note, anyone have thoughts on this? I'm blown away by it. The thought of tax dollars going to teach slang is ridiculous to me.

I agree. This is asinine on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin.

So I won't...

Somewhere around SF they tend to wheel out the Ebonics debate every few years and it gets shot down. In their defense, the schools around Oakland suck so badly that anything they do can't give these kids any less of an education.

IMHO if could get off our butts in the USA and just declare English (and Spanish?) as the official language(s), we could do away with all these crazy issues in our schools. It's not that kids shouldn't be able to learn in their 1st language, it's more that aren't they going to need English skills to eventually have a chance in the USA? Aren't we doing them a disservice by never forcing them to accept the most commonly used laguage in the country?

Heh this world just keeps getting more f'd up everyday. Society has become so afraid to offend someone else that they are willing to do away with all our logical rules/laws/morals/etc and accept just about anything these days. I cannot believe some of those morons are trying to say ebonics is an actual language. What a cop out. Man issues like this just piss me off and give me no hope for society whatsoever. It pains me to think of how things will be 50years from now.