LCVG

Madden 2006

Bruce B

Without ESPN having the rights to football I guess I have to break down and buy this when it comes out. Never been a big fan of madden compared to ESPN but they got us by the short ones on this. So who'se gnna be getting it?

By the way, if one person mentions league I will choke them. :thud

Leagues always fall flat on their faces. Lets just play.

By the way Dean, I heard they are making this game out of an unspecified unbreakable material.....if you know what I mean.

I cannot commit to buying a Madden games that has zero competition! I generally believe that competition drives market products higher in quality and lower in prices. IMO, Madden has never really pushed the market forward, it always seems like the Madden franchise has strived as a reaction against competition. Again, IMO Madden has rarely if ever been leaps and bounds over the other football games, and often the Madden games have been eclipsed by the competition.

With all of that said, with Madden being the only NFL game in town, I will certainly be hoping for rave reviews from both professional and personal sources. If Madden isn?t truly great, I?ll be more than happy to get my pigskin fix with last years ESPN game. Time will tell, but I will withhold a purchase decision until the game has been released.

(All of my preceding babble might all be rendered moot if the game sucks but they have a kick-ass Patriots Dynasty riddled presentation! :D )

If Madden isn?t truly great
I haven't bought Madden since 2000 I think, but I continue to read the reviews every year. Doesn't Madden have top notch reviews every year? I don't know why you'd expect anything different.

I had the thought the other day that I could care less about the NFL. I play sports games because they're fun - I don't even like sports in real life. Baseball Stars was my favorite baseball game, and there was no license. I know that the diehards who compensate for their lack of penis size by pretending that they're a professional athlete via sports videogames (e.g. Bruce, Joel) will have difficulty playing a football game where the jersey doesn't say "B-r-a-d-y" or "M-c-n-a-b-b" in arial on the back, but give it a shot.

I'm keeping an open mind for football videogames. Though I admit that I will only buy a game that will afford me some online playability, and if no one here buys Football 2K6, then what's the point? My penis size is fine without it.

I wish I had the ability to boycott Madden games after EA bought out the NFL license. I have a feeling I will hold out just fine until the Xbox 360 is launched with the next-gen Madden game. After 6 years it is about time EA overhauled that damn engine. If they are smart they will implement some of the gameplay found in Visual Concepts great 2k series.

I wish I had the ability to boycott Madden games after EA bought out the NFL license. I have a feeling I will hold out just fine until the Xbox 360 is launched with the next-gen Madden game. After 6 years it is about time EA overhauled that damn engine. If they are smart they will implement some of the gameplay found in Visual Concepts great 2k series.

I still don't get the hatred toward EA getting the NFL licenese. It isn't EA's fault that the NFL auctioned of their rights to the highest bidder. Do you actually blame EA for not wanting to lose the rights to their most successful franchise? I might as well boycott DirecTV because of their exclusive deal with the NFL.

-Dean-

I still don't get the hatred toward EA getting the NFL licenese. It isn't EA's fault that the NFL auctioned of their rights to the highest bidder. Do you actually blame EA for not wanting to lose the rights to their most successful franchise? I might as well boycott DirecTV because of their exclusive deal with the NFL.

-Dean-

Dean,

While I agree the NFL is more to blame, I don't believe EA is innocent. Long before the exclusive license was granted to EA, rumors were flying that EA had actively been pursuing the license. Combine that with that fact that Madden football has been the face of NFL videogames for years and there was no way that Sega or 2k Games had a chance to get the license. The outcome was known well before any bids were placed for the license.

As someone with a business degree, I fully understand why EA did what they did. However I don't like what happened because the 2k series was a must-buy game for me every year. I felt that Visual Concepts really worked hard to bring something fresh to the market every year. I'm a heavy believer that competition and choice is always better for the consumer.

In the end will I boycott EA games because of this? No. I have already purchased NCAA 2006 this year after strong reviews. I will take a more wait-and-see approach with Madden. If the 360 version actually shows that EA has put effort into areas that should have been addressed years ago, then I will be happy to plop down my $59.99 to enjoy next-gen football. It just saddens me that competitive forces will have no affect on the quality of next generation football titles.

Brandon,

I am a huge fan of the 2k series of NFL games. I believe they are superior to Madden, especially last years version. Am I upset that Madden is the only NFL title? Sure. I am also upset that Take 2 snagged the MLB 3rd party license. MVP is a superior baseball game to Take 2's 2K series. In the end, the gamers lose, but I am not mad that EA wanted to make sure they did not lose their Bread and Butter to Take 2. Its business, and its the world we live in. I wish the NFL Ticket was offered to Comcast because Comcast's HD is superior to DirecTV's HD, IMHO. But it isn't. If the NFL was a real whore, they would offer their services to everyone for a price. :)

-Dean-

My hatred towards EA is they fear competition so they buy them all up instead of focusing on making better products. They rely on the EA name and the names of celebrities/movie licenses/etc to sell mediocre product year after year. That is why EA sucks if you ask me. :)

I'm keeping Sega's 2K5. I'm tired of spending money year after year on sports games that I never play. The changes to each year are far too insignificant for me to care and even if Madden 06 has better graphics than 2K5, it still won't justify the $50 a year upgrade cost, not to mention the near-instant, near-total depreciation that these games have as far as resale value.

-Dean-

DirectTV paid a huge premium , much more than comcast was willing to pay. I blame the NFL on both the TV package & video game market.

I still don't get the hatred toward EA
With regard to the NFL license, exempting EA makes sense. I don't think the majority of anger stems from this particular move. EA represents the best and worst of capitalism. They are the most successful software publisher. They are what every publisher strives to be. But their success comes at the expense of the competition. And when you prefer the competition's product, you naturally resent that success. It is a natural artifact of capitalism. Walmart, Microsoft, Disney, Sony, Blockbuster, McDonalds, etc... all have a target on their backs. Hate. Law suits. Documentaries.

• 2 weeks later...

Gamespots review of Madden 06 is up. IMHO, it is a lot lower than I thought it would be. Last years got a 9.0 and this years is a balmy 8.2. They basically say that the new QB Vision is OK and will get better in the future releases. Other than that and the new Superstar mode which they also said wasn't that great, the game is no different and actually has more glitches in it. Looks like this is the 1st year I will not be buying an NFL game. I had high hopes for this too, since NCAA 2006 was so well done. I'll give Madden a rent, but no way am I slapping $50 down on this.

-Dean-