LCVG

The list is life - For new Dreamcast owners

Romier S

Given the discussion about what Dreamcast games need to be bought for new owners of the system, I felt it a good idea to create a tiered list of games that I personally feel folks should look into buying. The tiering is fairly simple. Top titles are "Must Own", while others are listed in various categories. All import titles are marked as such for those wanting to do some investigating. I've also marked which titles will cost you a bit of cash as they are either very rare or have just risen in price as time has gone ahead. The list is life my friends, and the Dreamcast can make yours a very enjoyable one. :tu

List Key:

-Rare = Will more than likely be pricey to get and you'll need to do some searching to find it. (50+ dollars)

-Import = Import game that may be readily available but could cost a bit more to purchase. (Imports may cost as low as 8.99 to as high as 70/80 dollars)

-Hard to find = Won't cost as much as a rare title, but will be somewhat hard to find super cheap.(these can run anywhere from 25 dollars and up)

-Reasonably Priced = Usually can be found for between 7-15 dollars.

-Low Price - Usually can be found for less then 5 dollars.

The Dreamcast titles that you must own (by category)

Import Titles

• Rez - Import/Rare - *also available for the Playstation 2 though most consider the Dreamcast version superior. A must play experience.
  • Samba De Amigo 2000 - Import/Rare *This release was meant to supplement the original Samba and is generally regarded as excellent. If you buy the original, you'll want to get this as well.
  • Ikaruga - Import/Hard to find *also available on the Gamecube
  • Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate - Import *This one is pricey to pick up but well worth it. One of the best shooters on the Dreamcast IMHO.
  • Fire Pro Wrestling D - Import - *Best wrestling game on the system. Any fan should/will fall completely in love. Menus are in Japanese so you'll have to do a little research to get used to the create a wrestler.
  • Frame Gride - Import *Virtual On style mech combat game by From Software. Kicks the crap out of thier own Armored Core series. Just recently rebought this myself.
  • Shenmue 2 - Import *Shenmue 2 is worth it for the original Japanese language track and the evolution in gameplay over the first one. The fighting was better and the quicktime events were much more enjoyable. Shenmue 2 is also available on the Xbox sans the Japanese track.
  • Space Channel 5 Part 2 - Import *This far superior sequel was not released in the states on the Dreamcast but adds in new sequence events and even instrument playing sequences. Space Channel 5 Part 2 is also available on the Playstation 2 as part of a compilation disc that includes the first game.

Rare/Hard to find titles

• Tech Romancer - Hard to find - *my favorite Dreamcast fighter next to Soul Calibur.
  • Power Stone 2 - Hard to find *Anyone that enjoys Super Smash Brothers should own this. Intense 4-player fighting action with destructible items and environments.
  • Record of Lodoss War - Hard to find - *Do you enjoy Diablo? If so you will spend a countless amount of hours with this game. Very fun, very addictive.
  • Samba de Amigo (w/ Maracas) - Rare - *The most fun you will ever have with a group of people. Simply must be played to understand how ridiculously fun this game is.

Reasonable and Low priced titles

• Jet Grind Radio - *readily available for a low price. *the predecessor to Jet Set Radio Future. Some consider the tag mechanic better and the soundtrack more even.
  • Soul Calibur - *readily available for a reasonable price. *You have to ask?
  • Power Stone - *readily available for a reasonable price. The prequel to Power Stone 2. Not as good as its successor, but it started the Power Stone fun and deserves a place in your collection.
  • Virtua Tennis and Tennis 2k2 - *readily available for a low price.. Tennis 2k2 is available on the PS2 also. Best...Tennis games....EVER!
  • Shenmue - *readily available for a low price. One of the most unique adventure games out there. Some of the dialogue is downright terrible, but once you get into the game it's very hard to stop playing.
  • Space Channel 5 - *readily available for a low price. It's simon says with a cute dancing chick and a chique 60's retro style to it. You'll look at it and scoff, but once you play it you'' understand why it's on this list.
  • Metropolis Street Racer - *readily available for a low price.. This is where Project Gotham Racing started.
  • Test Drive Le Mans - *readily available for a low price. My absolute favorite racer on the Dreamcast. Only F355 Challenge comes close to matching it.
  • F355 Challenge - *readily available for a reasonable price. I dare you to try and put it down once you start. Second only to Test Drive Le Mans. Also available on the PS2.
  • Daytona USA - **readily available for a low price. It's Sega, it's arcade racing. It has to be in your library.
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica - *readily available for a low price. Also available on the Playstation 2 as a Directors Cut as well as the Gamecube for a seriously bloated retail price. The Dreamcast version of the original release and was one of my most anticipated releases on the system.
  • House of the Dead II - *readily available for a low price. The voice acting is terrible but this is a perfect port of the arcade game. Very fun when you add a friend. Confidential Mission makes a great companion (that game will be covered a bit later)
  • The Typing of the Dead (w/keyboard) - *readily available for a low price. You'll no doubt think I'm crazy, but play it and tell me you're not have a blast. Multiplayer is a hoot.
  • Skies of Arcadia - *readily available for a reasonable price. Available on the Gamecube with some tweaks. My favorite RPG on the Dreamcast. Excellent story, great graphics and a fun combat system.
  • Sword of the Beserk: Guts Rage - *readily available for a reasonable price. It's not a game that will last you long, but it's one of the best hack and slashers on the console. It also features some of the best voice acting around. You'll want to watch the anime when you're done with this one.
  • Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm - *readily available for a reasonable price. A completely underrated hack and slash action game. If you enjoyed Enclave, you owe it to yourself to own this game.
  • Seaman (w/ Microphone) - *readily available for a reasonable price. Simply one of the most unique experience you will find on any system! Raise your Seaman, teach him talk, and make sure he doesn't die. Very fun and very original.
  • Bomberman Online - *readily available for a reasonable price. Get four friends together and you could sit there for hours competing. Brian turned me onto this game two years ago and my wife and I play it constantly.
  • Rayman 2 - *readily available for a low price. The best platformer on the system. This is simply a wonderful platformer period. The best version of it appeared right on Sega's system.
  • Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2 - *readily available for a low price. Are you hearing The Offspring yet? I know I heard enough of it when I first bought my Dreamcast. I completely forgot to add these two games to list off the bat until a friend reminded me of thier importance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART II is next. It will cover some favorite shooters available on the Dreamcast as well as some other top contenders that are a bit underappreciated but need looking at. From there, we'll move right into Part III, which will cover a slew of other games that are worthy of a look but may not have been considered all that or just weren't "AAA" type of releases. There is alot more to cover here folks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romier, thanks for that list! You can bet a good portion of those games are on my radar at the moment... Samba de Amigo is my top priority at the moment, mostly because I've heard you guys talk about it so much. It'll be an expensive addition, but worth it.

Can't wait for your next installment!

Good to see you've got most of the standards on there, though I know a few people who would go nuts about the lack of the amazing 2D fighters you can get on the machine (of which I'd put Street Fighter III: Third Strike top). Absolutely no-one should be without a copy of Crazy Taxi, for a start.

oh, could you cut down the number of dashes in that list, by the way? It's playing merry hell with the word-wrap.

Samba de Amigo is my top priority at the moment, mostly because I've heard you guys talk about it so much. It'll be an expensive addition, but worth it.

eBay is really your best bet. I've had a DC since it's European release and am still pining for this game as I adore it - and was dumb enough not to buy it upon release. It’s rarely ever unavailable on eBay. There's a couple of Japanese ones at eBay UK for ?85 and ?100 (both buy it now prices) which are tempting me at the moment. v2000 [Japanese only release of extra tunes for the game] is also cropping up on eBay a lot.

It's important to check everything is included. Sometimes the mat will be missing or something (like the current one on eBay US for $90 seems to lack).

Streetfighter Third Strike for (currently) under $7 and allegedly sealed here at eBay US. That game and a DC arcade stick is the Valhalla of 2D fighting really.

Daniel

I think Grandia II might be worth a mention. With a crazy high Metacritic rating of 90

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/drm/grandiaii

The PS2 version has a 71, mostly due to a really poor job porting it from Dreamcast to PS2 ...spawning comments like:

"A great game... that you should be playing on another system" and "Inexplicably horrible graphics completely ruin an otherwise splendid title."

I haven't played it, honestly, but it's on my shelf (2 copies for that matter, 3/$15 Gamecrazy deal) and on the list to get to.

Good list.

I appreciate the kind words guys. Also, if it wouldn’t be too much trouble, I’d like to ask that we please refrain from throwing out game names that are not on the list since there are in fact two more parts that are forthcoming. If I made any omissions post completion, I welcome any and all additions.

As to the games mentioned, Sonic Adventure (and its sequel) will appear in Part III. Chu Chu Rocket will also appear in Part II falling in the umbrella of my underappreciated titles. Street Fighter III will also be appearing in my 2D fighter collection that will cover the majority of quality 2D fighters on the Dreamcast (I also don’t agree with SFIII being the end all, be all of 2D fighters on the DC. The system is home to better fighters of the 2D variety IMHO. I do love a good game of SFIII though).

Let me say again, this full list will encompass a great many games. Once I am done with the list I may modify the original “must play” listing to encompass some other titles that I may have looked over. For now, this initial list is simply my personal favorite games on the system. Ones that I consider essential (no doubt some of your lists may look a bit different). There will be plenty of time for further modification once the full list is complete.

Part II will be up tonight.

Sorry about the delay gentleman. I hope to have Part II done tonight, if not it will happen tommorrow morning/afternoon while I'm at work. Got sidetracked with a few things (including getting my car inspected last night and my second car up to bat tonight).

Frame Gride - Import *Virtual On style mech combat game by From Software. Kicks the crap out of thier own Armored Core series. Just recently rebought this myself.

Y'know, this has been on my 'interested' list for a while. I even tried to buy it a couple of years ago - store had it in stock online, but it turned out they never updated the website to match their actual stock. Anyway, picked it up off eBay & it's on its way.

I picked up a bunch of cheap DC titles this morning, along with two not-so-cheap titles as well - Psyvariar II & Power Stone 2.

My DC should be getting to me today or tomorrow, so I'm pretty much all set for some gaming goodness, what with the titles I picked up last week as well.

I have close to 30 DC games, and I for one, miss the HELL out of this system.

It got punked out by bigger bullies on the playground looking for some extra lunch money....

If this system would have had the chance to stretch and flex a little bit more, Sega might not have gotten the beatdown financially, that it did, and we'd probably have a Next-Gen Dreamcast on our hands by now. :-)

Every time this thread gets a new post I seem to fire up eBay UK and look at Dreamcast goodies. I've stuck a complete Samba De Amigo PAL set on 'watch' in my ebay... It's at ?29 with one bid, but five days left so I expect it to skyrocket. Someone is also selling a plush Samba De Amigo monkey doll!

PAL Powerstone 2 ending in about an hour, currently at ?7.50. in fact ebay UK has a handful of Powerstone 2's all under ?10. A few Shenmue 2s on the UK site as well.

I'm almost half tempted to buy a second Dreamcast console they are so cheap.

Daniel

Someone is also selling a plush Samba De Amigo monkey doll!

I've got a pair :)

PAL Powerstone 2 ending in about an hour, currently at ?7.50. in fact ebay UK has a handful of Powerstone 2's all under ?10. A few Shenmue 2s on the UK site as well.

There's a few hard to find US games that are plentiful & cheap in the UK, along with a few games there didn't make it to the US at all. I've been meaning to pick up Cannon Spike (if it's got a 60Hz mode of course).

PAL Powerstone 2 ending in about an hour, currently at ?7.50. in fact ebay UK has a handful of Powerstone 2's all under ?10.

Bollocks. If I'd known you were after one, I wouldn't have flogged mine to a complete stranger for a mere fiver. Anything else you're after?

I've got a pair :)

Thought as much. Where did you get them? I know Animemate sell them (both sizes) but the price is rather expensive for the large one.

.....I've been meaning to pick up Cannon Spike (if it's got a 60Hz mode of course).

I believe it does, sir. Hoards of copies on ebay UK (all under ?8, most allegedly sealed).

Daniel

Bollocks. If I'd known you were after one, I wouldn't have flogged mine to a complete stranger for a mere fiver. Anything else you're after?

A fiver.... why I oughtta.

Aside from Samba De Amigo which is still my holy grail at a good price (plus v2000). I'm still after Streetfighther Third Strike as I decided I can't be doing with xbox Anniversary Collection -which comes with it- due to the lack of decent arcade stick (unless of course I get a dongle to allow a PS2 stick, but then would it run with a 360?)... PAL Anniversary Collection on the PS2 doesn’t include Third Strike so I keep looking for the DC one and a couple of DC sticks. Marvel vs Capcom 2 would be nice as well.

Shenmue II I still need to get (just missed one for about a tenner in good nick as I was preoccupied looking at the new ibook spec. D'oh).

I still need to check my poor old DC still works. Given my ever increasing lack of shelf space the poor little thing of course sits packed away under the bed.

Daniel

Thought as much. Where did you get them? I know Animemate sell them (both sizes) but the price is rather expensive for the large one.

NCS stocked them a few years ago & I got them the day they got them in :tu No clue what the price was, it was a case of rabid Samba fanboy envy taking over. SF Third Strike is something I've been meaning to pick up too, but it's getting pricier.

And Iain, ta for the confirmation on Cannon Spike having 60Hz. Does Powerstone 2? For any DC "noobs" - European PAL games are by default 50Hz which isn't supported on US NTSC TVs, however a good number of releases have a 60Hz mode which means with a bootdisc or a modded DC, you can happily play it on a US NTSC TV at full speed.

SF Third Strike is something I've been meaning to pick up too, but it's getting pricier.

I take that back. Prices for the DC release have plummeted since the Street Fighter Anniversary release on the XBox etc - just picked it up for $7. This thread is getting dangerous for my wallet.

Powerstone didn't have 60hz (grrr), but I believe Iain is correct that the sequel did.

Ta!