LCVG

Anybody NOT drink alcohol?

I saw Michael Clarke Duncan on the Tonight Show a week or so ago, and he says that he's never had a sip of alcohol. I realized how strange that sounds, but I don't drink, either. (I can't claim to have never had a sip - I've had a little champagne at a wedding and at New Year's once.)

I was just wondering if anyone else on this board doesn't drink - and if you care to share your reasons.

I have several reasons not to, some more serious than others..

• Personal religious convictions against being drunk (you can't get drunk if you don't drink)
  • Alcoholism in my father's side of the family
  • Financial consideration (Liquor can get expensive!)
  • My personality leads to overindulgence, so I'd most likely drink too much (hey, I eat too much, so why not?)
  • I have no desire to (drinking has never appealed to me)
  • I can't hold my liquor (judging by the effects simple cold medicines and pain killers have over me)
  • I don't want to willingly surrender control of my body by becoming intoxicated.
  • I hate throwing up. (Isn't that what happens when you've had too many?)

I was just wondering if any others in this community share the same thoughts. Please, don't lump me in with the Tom Cruises of the world. :D

Since many of you do drink - what made you start? I assume everyone who drinks started drinking before they reached the legal drinking age. What would you say I am missing?

I don't drink, but it's not because of any moral convictions or anything, just never got into it when I was younger and now I kinda feel like "why start at this point". I don't like the taste of beer (or have never aquired the taste) so I guess that's part of it as well.

I guess I was raised quite differently.

I was raised in a Jewish atmosphere in which drinking was always associated with celebration, family, and friends. We didn't have any alcoholics in our family, but it wasn't unusual to see grampa dancing a little more loosely than usual.

I suppose it's always been a positive, friends & family kind of thing for me, and as a result I've never been tempted to abuse it or "use" it when I'm feeling down.

Ironically, countries with strict drinking ages (like the US) have much more alcoholism problems than those without.

I love grabbing a beer with friends on the weekend, talking, and enjoying eachother's company. We're there to hang out, not to get drunk (of course we'll tie one on every so often), and I think that's a clear difference.

When I hear people who "need" a drink, I think that's a different story. Me? I *want* a drink. With friends. On weekends. And I don't drive.

I grew up in a conservative christian household where alcohol was rarely present. I finally tried alcohol at 17, and enjoyed it for the high. That led to a few episodes of getting really plastered with friends. But after a few years, that got really boring. It's just not fun drinking to the point of no longer having your mental faculties.

Over the years, my drinking has leveled off, but I still drink every day. I have a beer or 2 daily, on weekends I may have 3 in an evening, or if I'm really crazy, 4. Beer has become my preferred drink by far, although lately a friend has introduced me to red wine, which I'm starting to 'get' and enjoy. I hated both wine and beer when I first tasted them, but I have learned about various types of beer and have found several that I love.

It's a nice benefit that moderate drinking is good for your health. the key is moderate, which I recently read means about 100 drinks a month. More than that and you lose the benefits and start suffering ill effects.

I don't drink either. I had a sip of wine in the Bahamas once, but that's literally about the extent of it. Never done drugs, and my one and only ill-advised attempt at smoking (I was six and grabbed my grandfather's cigarette out of an ashtray) was enough to keep me away from that.

It's really not a moral thing in my case. Growing up with a raging alcoholic in my extended family didn't exactly draw me towards the idea (not someone I lived with or anything, but I saw enough to be pretty unsettled by it), plus neither of my parents drank with any remote regularity, none of my friends in high school drank, and a fair number of my close friends in college didn't really drink either. I've just never really felt compelled to drink, although I don't think any less of people who do, as long as they're not dumb about it.

I have never really drank for pretty much the same reasons (lack of interest, financial, not wanting to get drunk)

I don't really have a problem with drinking, but moderation is the key. Having a beer with friends is one thing, but finding reasons to drink or partying to fit in is another.

Alcohol just makes a party better. There's no denying it. I can't imagine being at some of the parties I've been too and not have alcohol. Hell, my close friends and I have a huge event we call the Beer Olympics (this year it's being held at Thrillho's house).

This past weekend was the annual weekend long golf trip that consists of 4 rounds of golf. I couldn't imagine that trip w/out alcohol. The amount of insane fun is never ending (ask Thrillho about my cart ejection).

My drink of choice is GOOD beer, but I like wine and I've been expeirmenting more with mix drinks (Patron and Sprite are a match made in heaven).

However, with anything in life, too much of a good thing is bad. As far as being an alcoholic, I'm not. I do binge drink on a few occasions (as noted above), but I'm just as happy with a one drink a night, to no drinks for a month. For me it's not addicting at all. Cigarettes where far more dangerous and addicting to me. I think it depends on the person.

I don't look "down" on those that don't drink and respect their decision, I just think they are missing out on a lot of fun. Anything and everything in life can be dangerous & addictive, you just have to know when to say when.

I like to drink, LOVE the taste of beer, wine, and some spirits (jager is awesome), but really it's something your body doesn't really need. Psychologically, it can be a nice salve to a hard day or an easy way to relax at a party which is cool. But like coffee, pure sugar, table salt, or (gulp) videogames, it isn't something you strictly have to have to be happy. I'll have a beer or wine if I feel like it to complement an evening (like having a cappacino after a good meal), but I can do without it.

Growing up both my folks were pretty heavy alcoholics. I'm pretty sure that affected my security level growing (and today), but I don't think it influenced me one way or the other to alcoholism or addictive behavior. I drank a bunch in college and had a uhhh ... host of other 'experiences', but I also kept a 3.X GPA in Engineering and never had any problem keeping the partying in a social context.

I don't think any less of people that don't drink, though people that drink a lot I don't consider it a sign of a strong personality. Likely that's due to experiencing it close up as a child, alcohol use that's allowed to get out of hand can get messy.

I dont drink at all and one of the main reasons is I have worked in a Wine/Liquor store for almost 9 years now. Everyday i see people who have gone from a healthy person 5 years ago, to someone who is lucky they wake up in the morning. Women who could be models 10 years ago, to being so aged looking from drinking heavily it makes me sick just thinking about it. These women arent even in there mid 30's yet. I know it dosnt happen to everyone. however i have enough problem with getting rid of weight, then to worry about developing a drinking problem. Id rather spend the money on dvd's and games. Oh and im also slightly allergic to alcohol so that helps as well :D

capt

I have never really drank for pretty much the same reasons (lack of interest' date=' financial, not wanting to get drunk)

I don't really have a problem with drinking, but moderation is the key. Having a beer with friends is one thing, but finding reasons to drink or partying to fit in is another.[/quote']

I agree.

I should clarify - I don't have a problem with having a drink, either - it's having 'too many' I want to avoid, personally. If someone has a beer while watching a football game or wine with dinner, I can totally understand. Again, everything in moderation.

Other than the occasional sip of red wine at communion, I don't drink at all. I haven't encountered an alcoholic beverage that doesn't taste repulsive to me (from having tasted various beers, and the mere smell of bourbon/tequila/whiskey), and I don't really see the appeal in getting plastered. I'm fine with hanging out with my friends while they're drinking, but it's just not for me.

I drink on very rare occasions. I've done so at get togethers but I've not gotten "plastered" in years. I worked as a bartender for 3 years of my life and spent those years almost completely drunk in fact. I didn't see a reason to continue that trend after I moved on and the idea of getting drunk is not one that appeals to me anymore.

The rules regarding alcohol for me is I do not drink alone and do not keep alcohol around the house. I've had too many days where I come home from work in a pissy mood after a long tiring night and the temptation of having a few drinks before bed would be awfully tempting. Of course that could develop into a problem really quick. My Dad grew up with an alcoholic Dad and he has made his feelings very well known regarding alcohol. He of course hates the stuff and doesn't want me drinking it which I understand. I will however have a few drinks if I'm out with friends or like today I had a drink while playing 18 holes of golf with some buddies. The way I was hitting the ball I needed to calm my nerves a bit. :) I have gotten piss drunk once (after breaking up with a girl and then being invited to go out with some friends to a bar...bad combo) and I NEVER want to feel the way I felt when I woke up the following day puking my guts out. So I limit myself to 3 maybe 4 drinks depending on the alcohol ratio of the drink. Having said all that I hardly drink at all because my social life sucks right now. :)

I drink on the weekend evenings in the comfort/safety of my house. I only like the hard liquor like a good scotch or tequila.

If you've ever played with me on Xbox live on a late weekend night, yes I was plastered. I've always been able to retain pretty good control of my faculties and my hand-eye coordination despite being pretty toasted.

In social situations, I'll have a drink or two, but very rarely get drunk because it's too expensive! :)

Carlos.

I used to drink, quite a bit in fact. One day about 6-7 years ago I just decided I was tired of looking like an idiot just to be the life of the party and stopped, haven't had a drop since. It's not really a conscious decision either, not like when I'm on a diet and jonesing for a Hershy bar or something, I just don't do it anymore. I had bought a bottle of Vodlka and Jager right before then too, they're still in my freezer to this day.

My limit is one beer, I'm lucky if I average one a month, and if I'm gonna drink a beer it better be a good one and not some Coors Light micro-vomit garbage: my first exposure to beer was Schlitz when I was 8 (my grandfather let me try it) and not one drop of alcohol touched my lips for more than a decade. I learned beer didn't have to suck when a co-worker insisted that I try a Guinness, at which point I was about 25 years old. Drank the whole thing with dinner, and since then I learned to actually respect what beer should taste like and not see ALL of it as garbage like Miller Lite or Bud.

I almost never drink wine and I pretty much don't drink any other form of alcohol except beer.

Because I have a one-drink limit, I've never been drunk. My reasons for not drinking more and/or not getting drunk are too numerous to list and I'm not gonna launch into a tirade about it here.

I guess I was raised quite differently.

I was raised in a Jewish atmosphere in which drinking was always associated with celebration' date=' family, and friends. We didn't have any alcoholics in our family, but it wasn't unusual to see grampa dancing a little more loosely than usual.

I suppose it's always been a positive, friends & family kind of thing for me, and as a result I've never been tempted to abuse it or "use" it when I'm feeling down.

Ironically, countries with strict drinking ages (like the US) have much more alcoholism problems than those without.

I love grabbing a beer with friends on the weekend, talking, and enjoying eachother's company. We're there to hang out, not to get drunk (of course we'll tie one on every so often), and I think that's a clear difference.

When I hear people who "need" a drink, I think that's a different story. Me? I *want* a drink. With friends. On weekends. And I don't drive.[/quote']

Sounds about right. I'm not Jewish, though.

I drink socially. Very Very Very rarely, do I do it alone. Sometimes, I count being on Live as socially, and I'll have a beer or some scotch.

I didn't drink at all until I got to college. Once there, I found myself indulging in the frothy beverage on a semi-regular basis through various keggers and in-dorm room parties. I know what it's like to be severely drunk and suffer the effects of a bad hangover the next day. However, I never felt the dire need to drink in order to have a good time, nor did drinking ever interfere with any of my other obligations at the time. It was strictly a social thing, and for the most part remains so to this day.

Now that I'm no longer in college, I drink far less than I did before. It doesn't hurt that core group of friends I spend time with on the weekend either don't drink at all or don't drink that often. I do enjoy the occasional beer with friends, and I love a little wine to wash down a great feast. I don't even consider opening a single beer on a Friday night whilst alone to be a sign of something more sinister. Like I said, I don't do it that often, and when I do drink, I don't carry it to the point binging.

I'm pretty much like JFO with regards to alcohol.

I hate throwing up. (Isn't that what happens when you've had too many?)

Not really. It happens when you mix beer and liquor and also eat nothing before you start drinking alot.

Anymore I probably drink maybe 1 beer a month at the most maybe 2. I'm a "sipper".

I don't understand the statemets about "not wanting to get drunk." As if that's a bad thing. ;)

There's nothing like being a bit tipsy with a group of equally tipsy friends. An all-day BBQ, a float trip, party, or a night on the town is always much more fun when everyone (except the driver) is a bit on the drunk side.

As for throwing up, you just need to learn your limits. I know that, with food, I need to slow down after 10-12 beers. You just get used to the feeling of being drunk and know when that feeling has hit its peak.

I see nothing wrong with drinking so long as you're doing it for the right reason (to have fun). I can't imagine a life without alcohol...it would just be so dull. -and, I should note, I only go out drinking about once a month (I just re-read this post and it sounded like I was a major alchie).

You don't sound like an alchie at all. You just like the revelry and fun that comes with a good group of friends at a pub. Nothing wrong with that at all. In most cases (I'm about to be shot here), I'd rather go out for a couple with some friends than sit at home on Live.

Throw some back, talk some shit with some BoSox fan in the corner (there's always one), throw a dime in the jukebox (okay, $5), flirt with some girls (okay, probably my own girlfriend), grab a slice, head home. That's a fine evening.