LCVG

Resident Evil 5 - PS3/360

JoeyN

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an article over at 1up.com that details some points about the game. You can read it here:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3142140&did=1

The plan is to incorporate the base controls of Resident Evil 4, with the camera set behind the player rather than the static camera setup found in most of the other Resident Evil games. Going along with this, the screenshots in Famitsu showcase a completely different atmosphere for the game from the haunted houses and cities of previous Resident Evil games. It appears as if the game takes place in a desert. While at first glance, this might seem to be a thematic deviation for the series, Takeuchi insists that this isn't the case. Instead, he says, the desert setting will be the background for a game that will strive to achieve a level of craziness and insanity that left such an impression on Resident Evil 4 players.

On the development side, many staff members who worked on the original Resident Evil will be making a comeback for Resident Evil 5. Sure, the guy in some of Famitsu's screenshots may look like Chris, but as Takeuchi puts it, if the game developers are making a comeback from Resident Evil 1, then that might offer clues as to who the main character might be...

Also, this is an arrangement of screenshots that apparently appeared in Famitsu. They are just set to a plain white background but its the first glimpse of the game I've seen anywhere.

Resident Evil 5

I was just about to post a link to the trailer, but I see that Romier beat me to it... by almost 12 hours. God, I've got to try and visit the board more often during the day.

Anyway, the trailer looks nice. It's a great way to tease us for the next installment.

So, do you think those people are zombies or more pour souls infected by the Las Plagas? It's hard to say, since you don't get a real good look at them in the trailer, but I'm inclined to think that they move too fast to be your typical zombie.

I think they are going to definitely head back into Zombie territory. The interviews with the games lead have netted information on them wanting to go back to "basics" as they put it, while at the same time building on the Resident Evil 4 framework. From watching the trailer, I'd guess that we will be dealing with zombies that take after the infected as seen in 28 days later or the recent Dawn of the Dead remake. Fast moving, relentless, and out for blood when they need to be.

To be truthful, I would not mind it if they went ahead and used zombies as the main enemies in the game. The Las Plagas victims were definitely creepy and a great change of pace, but I'm dying to find out what's happening with the remnants of the Umbrella corporation and if they are back to thier old virus spreading ways (perhaps a new strain?).

• 2 weeks later...

RE5 to run at 60FPS

Capcom is working to make the game run at a smooth sixty frames per second, twice the frame rate of the GameCube Resident Evil 4. According to Takeuchi, this will allow for some gameplay situations that could not be achieved in a thirty frames per second game, and he points to this as evidence that the game will indeed have a strong action component.

• 4 months later...

Lupo;

Thanks for the link. I went ahead and merged this thread with one we already had going for Resident Evil 5.

Probably a long way off, but I have not had the chance to play RE4 (no love for the xbox) so I am already excited.

You don't have a GameCube or PS2? Find one cheap and play it now. You're missing out on what I consider to be the best game of 2005.

Lupo;

Thanks for the link. I went ahead and merged this thread with one we already had going for Resident Evil 5.

You don't have a GameCube or PS2? Find one cheap and play it now. You're missing out on what I consider to be the best game of 2005.

Thanks J,

After my 360 splurge, I may have to pick up a Gamecube for the Metroids, Zeldas and RE4 I missed out on.

• 9 months later...

I don't really care if it's exclusive or not, just that it'll make it out for the 360 in the first place. Hell of a coup for Microsoft if it's true though, but if anything, perhaps we'll see an exclusive window, similar to RE4 with the cube.

Of course, at this point I'd much rather see another Dead rising game than another RE :)

I agree with Chris. RE4 was one of the five best last gen, no question. But at the end of the day it was another RE game in a series of a ... well ... unending RE franchise. Dead Rising, while not as great as RE4, is a totally new and fresh take on the zombie business. I know where RE5 is going to go, DR 2 could still be a surprise.

I just tend to get less excited about games the more sequels they tack on. This even goes for the Halo games, I want the series to end at #3. Dragging these franchises out forever can really stifle the creativity of creating new and better games.

I'll be buying RE5 no doubt, but I'm actually more excited about Assasian's Creed and Gears of War. New is good.

Dragging these franchises out forever can really stifle the creativity of creating new and better games.

I generally agree with that when the sequels become so cookie cutter (which had already happend with Resident Evil prior to 4). However, given the amount of creativity and redefinition of gameplay elements present in Resident Evil 4, I would consider it more than just another game in a long line of endless Resident Evil sequels. I hold out hope that Capcom continues to evolve the series with its next gen sequel and it's without a doubt an instant purchase when it hits store shelves for me.