LCVG

LCVG Blog(pod)cast

So last night we recorded the first LCVG blogcast. And surprisingly we got over 2000 listeners within 24 hours. Look for us on Itunes.

Actually, that's not true. There is no LCVG Blogcast, but perhaps there should be. I have ideas for how the "show" would function, and I'm sure that people her would as well. Here are some basics that seem logical enough.

Format

• Topics would stem from the most popular topics on LCVG during that week.
  • Speakers would be selected weekly, by the producer, from a pool of willing LCVGers.

Some Obvious Requirements

• Someone here would have to producer the show (i.e. would be responsible for finalizing the topics, guest speakers, and recording times).
  • Someone here would have to routinely set up the conference call and recording equipment.
  • Someone would have to edit and publish the show.

If the above elements and requirements were reasonable and attainable, then perhaps the blogcast is in the cards. I will offer more specific ideas once I get a feel for whether the owners/mods and community think this is a worthwhile and executable idea. It?s one thing to talk about doing something (like a videogame sports league) and another thing to actually follow-through and do it well. So what are your feelings?

I actually like the idea quite a bit Keith. It would be fun just to hear Kelley gush over Id all day. :D The logistics of getting something like this setup is where we run into the difficutly. Though, I think it's worth a look at trying to get something off the ground though.

Alright then. Since there has been some interest, I'll provide some more details for you all to knock around:

Synergy with Forum

• As said before, hot forum topics will dictate the topic list for the show.
  • Forum posts can be used as a quotable resource. Speakers can quote a thread/post as a means to kickoff a topic, to backup their own statements, or simply as a mailbag-like salute to those on the forum who make interesting points about the current topic.
  • Polls can be announced on the show, initiated on the forum, and then the results can be revealed during the next show

Format

• Speakers will give their opinion in turn to avoid talking over one another. The host initiates the topic then allows each of the speakers their turn. Back-and-forth discussion can be appropriate and fun to listen to, but the show should aim for turn-based asynchronous discussion as a rule, and then stray from that where appropriate.

Segments

Beyond simply covering "Hot Topics," I have some simple segment ideas that I am sure others will add to quickly. Just ideas.

• Now Playing: Speakers explain what they're currently playing and why. I believe EGM does this at the front of their magazine. This will be more dynamic if there are more varied guest speakers from LCVG.
  • Polls: Already mentioned this. We'd cover the results of last weeks poll, and the introduction of this weeks poll.
  • Controller Down: Stolen from the forum, each speaker can contribute a brief (very brief) anticdote, news report, or story about a non-videogame topic.
  • The Radar: Discuss upcoming, soon to be released games

Anyway, keep the ideas coming.

Alright then. Since there has been some interest' date=' I'll provide some more details for you all to knock around:

[b']Synergy with Forum[/b]

• As said before, hot forum topics will dictate the topic list for the show.
  • Forum posts can be used as a quotable resource. Speakers can quote a thread/post as a means to kickoff a topic, to backup their own statements, or simply as a mailbag-like salute to those on the forum who make interesting points about the current topic.
  • Polls can be announced on the show, initiated on the forum, and then the results can be revealed during the next show

Format

• Speakers will give their opinion in turn to avoid talking over one another. The host initiates the topic then allows each of the speakers their turn. Back-and-forth discussion can be appropriate and fun to listen to, but the show should aim for turn-based asynchronous discussion as a rule, and then stray from that where appropriate.

Segments

Beyond simply covering "Hot Topics," I have some simple segment ideas that I am sure others will add to quickly. Just ideas.

• Now Playing: Speakers explain what they're currently playing and why. I believe EGM does this at the front of their magazine. This will be more dynamic if there are more varied guest speakers from LCVG.
  • Polls: Already mentioned this. We'd cover the results of last weeks poll, and the introduction of this weeks poll.
  • Controller Down: Stolen from the forum, each speaker can contribute a brief (very brief) anticdote, news report, or story about a non-videogame topic.
  • The Radar: Discuss upcoming, soon to be released games

Anyway, keep the ideas coming.

I like it alot and would love to be a part of it.

Maybe we could reserrect my cooking thread into this format, once we get dates and time formated. I could then prepare a time slot or have the metral ready for sharing across the pod cast. whada yea think?

Romier of course. This way every week Arnold Shwartzenheimer and The Pebble could be guest speakers.

As much as I appreciate the vote of confidence, Jay and Cameron were born to host this. They both have great interplay together. Jay has the sarcasm and wit, Cameron the interview skills. I'd be more than willing to participate in terms of audio reviews and adding in thoughts (as well as any help producing, getting content together etc. ) but I know when I'm out of my element. ;)

If they would both be available and willing to help out, my vote would go with them.

who are you expecting to be the host?
First and foremost, when it comes to hosting, whomever has the will and talent to perform that duty should do it. It would be good to have two or three people who are willing and able to take on the hosting responsibilities (Preparing for and hosting a successful show) on any given week. This would allow flexibility for when people are unable to perform that duty.

The show producer requirements are a little more forgiving. Many of the tasks can be collaborative (Gathering the Topics, finding guest speakers, scheduling a time, making sure that the technical requirements and editing will be taken care of). Much of this can be dealt with in a dedicated thread on this site.

So since there is a apparently some interest for this show, let's start by officially listing who would like to participate and in what capacity. Here are the roles that will need filling, and there is no reason why you can't be interesting in more than one. Let me know if I'm missing an important role:

1. Host
  2. Producer
  3. Technical Lead (Setting Up audio conferences, getting the show published)
  4. Audio Editor
  5. Guest Speaker

Strangely enough, Cameron and I have definite plans for a podcast (it was sort of related to another project we knocked around).

Sherbz editing would be ultra-helpful. Anyone else willing to contribute in a technical and/or creative aspect? Could you PM your thoughts to me so I can add them to our planning doc? How about you, Keith?

Besides being a general contributor of ideas, I would enjoy being a guest speaker and producer. I suggest that there be no more than 1 host and 3 additional speakers per week. I suggest that special sections (cooking, movies,etc.) be introduced by the host, but produced separately and edited in. A modular approach like this keeps the show production flexible and managable. It also allows the LCVG community to be creative. You may be surprised when Joel's "Weekly toe fungus discussion" becomes a regular segment.