LCVG

Xbox audio issue...any ideas!?

ChrisH

This one has me stumped, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

I've got an old friend in town, and last night I fired up my Midway Arcade Treasures disk for some nostalgic Joust competition... As the intro screens flashed through, I noticed there was no sound, but I just figured the volume was low... after finding the remote, I realized it was not. There was just no sound whatsoever... a quick unplugging of the optical cable showed a normal red light. Everything else seemed fine.

Now here's where it gets strange... all other parts of the disk seem to work fine, as I tried other games on the disk... Gauntlet, 720,... and other than the absence of sound, they all worked/played fine. Then I tried other games... RotK, SW:Battlefront, and others... and they all worked (and sounded) normal... I even went back to Arcade Treasures a couple times, each time with the same outcome.

Also, when the Treasures disk was in and I disconneted the optical from my Yamaha, I could see the DD indicator switch on and off as the reciever lost and re-acquired the signal...

So, frustrated, we ended up playing Joust a good 15 times, and the lack of sound wasn't ALL bad as my wife was asleep... but obviously that's not the point! :)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Chris

thats just odd. Is there a setting in the option menu for main sound? I know a few games have that

Not that I could find... AFAIK the main menu is just the 4 rows of icons for the 24 games on the disk, and then each game has it's own menu where there is an 'options' option... but sound isn't in there...

Look closely at your receiver. Did you accidentally hit the stupid TAPE MONITOR button? This audio problem happened to me more than once, on more than one set-up. And it always came down to either that stupid TAPE MONITOR button or the SPEAKER button (IOW, hitting the button to switch to the "B" set of speakers).

• 2 weeks later...

OK... mystery solved!

This past weekend, while watching Bride & Prejudice w/ the wife, I noticed that the sound was not as robust as it should have been... turns out the Robot Monkey was exactly right, someone had turned off the front 'A' speakers, so only the center and rears were firing away... Amazing that I never heard a difference when watching TV (DirecTV), but I couldn't...

Thanks for help!

Chris