LCVG

WTB: Old PC games

secretvampire

Hey guys,

I've really been into playing old PC games lately with DOSBox and revisiting a lot of titles I played as a kid but never finished. I'm actually thinking of converting an old 800mHz PC I've got sitting around into a dual boot MS-DOS/Win98 machine for a more authentic experience.

I'm looking to buy some vintage PC games you might have sitting in your closet, preferably in good condition with their boxes and original manuals and maps (I'm an anal collector), but I won't be TOO picky. I'm especially looking for:

Ultima titles (including Ultima Underground series and Worlds of Ultima series)

Old Sierra adventure games (Quest For Glory, Space Quest, etc.)

SSI Dungeons and Dragons gold box series

Return to Zork

...lots of others I'm forgetting

I'm open to suggestions too!

- Jason

SSI Dungeons and Dragons gold box series

If you're not going for the actual boxes for each title, you might want to look up The Forgotten Realms Archives. It has:

• Pool of Radiance
  • Curse of the Azure Bonds
  • Secret of the Silver Blades
  • Pools of Darkness
  • Hillsfar
  • Eye of the Beholder
  • Eye of the Beholder II
  • Eye of the Beholder III
  • Dungeon Hack
  • Gateway to the Savage Frontier
  • Treasures of the Savage Frontier
  • Menzoberranzan

Across like 4 CD's, a nice huge manual with the reference cards and journals for all the games, and copy-protection wheels for the games that need them. I've got it, but I'm not sure where my wheels or retail box are, and I'm not really sure I want to sell it. Sierra made some nice collections as well, but you're probably already aware of those.

I've got the original Pool of Radiance (dual 5.25/3.5" discs) in a rather beat-up original gold box, complete with manuals etc. But it's mine, I'm not giving it up! SSI games rule :god

Joking aside, I forgot all about that FR archive set, I might have to pick one up on ebay. You can download them ala abandonware (I beat Pool of Radiance this way a few years back using mo-slow) but the authentic versions with the translation wheel and everything are neat. :)

We need that heart-n-love smiley. Seriously. That would be appropriate here, oldschool SSI = :rock

I've got tons of old games sitting in a box from my time at EB when people tried to trade them in and ended up just leaving them there. Nothing is going to have boxes, and most won't have manuals, but the game is there. I'm pretty sure I have some old Sierras and maybe Return to Zork.

Suggestions if you like turn-based strategy at all...

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (runs great on my WinXP machine, I hear some people have problems with it). Requirements are a P3 800mhz I believe...

Master of Magic...this game is so great. Sooooo good.

Master of Orion 1/2...think Civ in space with configurable units for battle. :D

Master of Magic...this game is so great. Sooooo good.

Master of Orion 1/2...think Civ in space with configurable units for battle.

Yep, I played both of these TO DEATH, espcially the MOO series. Great stuff. I never did play MOO3, but everybody and every publication known to man has warned me away from it.

Moo 1 is just awesome. I couldn't stand 2. All they needed to do was make 1 with multiplayer. Change nothing else and it would have been great.

As for old school SSI. I think I have champions of krynn and secret of the silver blades for my commodore somewhere.

I have the FR Archives as well. I never got a chance to go through them all. But I had when I was much younger.

Full throttle is another not so old adventure game that had a lot of spirit. I think it was 1994ish.

Full throttle is another not so old adventure game that had a lot of spirit. I think it was 1994ish.

Yeah, I was lucky enough to find it at a local Half Price Books complete for $5. I'm looking forward to playing that one, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Yeah, I liked MOO2 just fine. I didn't get tired of the micromanaging, I thought it was decently balanced.

• 2 years later...