LCVG

Microsoft continues its bad naming streak with Windows Vista

kelley

I like it better than "3.1" "95" "NT" "2000" "Millenium Edition". XP sounds cool, but generic. Vista sounds cool. I don't see what's wrong with it. Would it be better if it was called "Lion" to compete with Apple's "Tiger" or instead maybe they should call it "Windows OS VI" like apple does.

Not sure how it works with unreleased products in terms of infringement, but Apple's next OS will be called Lion, and it will be released before Long... Vista.

'Vista' must sound dumb in Spanish, imagine "Windows View" - how compelling.

Why don't we just call it Windows and go back to version numbers like nearly every other type of commercial software does. I hated this trend towards using years, then letters (XP), and now stupid names (Vista - who would think up that... ;) ).

Maybe the should just pick a truthful name for it. Like Windows "I'm going to crush your PC and use up all of your hard drive space", or Windows "Not as functional as Linux, not as pretty as Mac". Or if we need just one word after the Windows part, just Windows Evil would do.

Maybe the should just pick a truthful name for it. Like Windows "I'm going to crush your PC and use up all of your hard drive space"' date=' or Windows "Not as functional as Linux, not as pretty as Mac". Or if we need just one word after the Windows part, just Windows Evil would do.[/quote']

How about Windows "People like to pick on me because I am the most popular"

Guess who the popular/jock/snob was in High School? At least you got lots of chicks Hoolie.

EA, Microsoft, Disney, Take 2, and the U.S. all have a target on their backs because they are Goliath. I tend to like anything that Southern Baptists boycott myself.

Give me a bit more credit than that. This thread is about Microsoft, what did you expect? Me to make fun of Sony for being a "hype machine"? You want to start a Mac thread where I rip on them, I'm there. Same for Linux, Unix, BSD-based OSes, all the others. They all have shortcomings and they all have benefits. It just so happens that the only benefit Windows offers me is that it is the target platform for pretty much all of the non-console games I wish to play. Hardly an endorsement, but enough that I even pay the price for their Operating System to keep the empire afloat. ;)

Of course, I wouldn't accuse the above named companies quite as often as I would Microsoft if this thread was about how ethical their business practices are. So maybe I'll just go back and stick with Microsoft Evil.

It just so happens that the only benefit Windows offers me is that it is the target platform for pretty much all of the non-console games I wish to play

:tu

I tend to like anything that Southern Baptists boycott myself.

Or if we need just one word after the Windows part, just Windows Evil would do.

Dumb name. Give it a version number like every other piece of software, geez.

I'll avoid this version of windows like the plague for at least 2+ years, like I always do. Beta testing an OS for Microsoft, no thanks.

I like it better than "3.1" "95" "NT" "2000" "Millenium Edition". XP sounds cool, but generic. Vista sounds cool. I don't see what's wrong with it. Would it be better if it was called "Lion" to compete with Apple's "Tiger" or instead maybe they should call it "Windows OS VI" like apple does.

I'd be there on the release date

I'd upgrade immediately if they called it "Windows Liger Edition" :rock