LCVG

Ready for some more ESRB fun?

Romier S

So the dust has only just settled on GTA getting an AO rating when our good friend Jack Thompson decides to throw in some choice comments about The Sims 2, his latest target. You can read more here:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.html

Jeff Brown, vice president of corporate communications at EA, in response to the accusations, told GameSpot, "This is nonsense. We've reviewed 100 percent of the content. There is no content inappropriate for a teen audience. Players never see a nude sim. If someone with an extreme amount of expertise and time were to remove the pixels, they would see that the sims have no genitals. They appear like Ken and Barbie."

Thompson doesn't buy it. "The sex and the nudity are in the game. That's the point. The blur is an admission that even the 'Ken and Barbie' features should not be displayed. The blur can be disarmed. This is no different than what is in San Andreas, although worse."[/QUote]

You give them a finger, they want the whole hand.

"The sex and the nudity are in the game. That's the point. The blur is an admission that even the 'Ken and Barbie' features should not be displayed. The blur can be disarmed. This is no different than what is in San Andreas, although worse."

Get a life.

I changed this post about four times and I think this best sums up my point. We can see the same blur on the Howard Stern TV show and countless other programs that kids can see for free by merely turning on the television.

Its really a shame we can't discuss politics on this fourm, because I would really like to go on a tirade of how this country's right-wing conservative bullshit is destroying everything it was built on.

Funny how it's Democrats who are leading the current charge & similiar charges against the gaming front. I know what you're saying though.

I really have a strong dislike for Thompson.

While it would seem it's the right wing, oddly enough, the Dems are usually leading this charge.

Tipper Gore against evil rap CDs, Lieberman against videogames in the late 90's, and now Hillary.

You can pin quite a bit on the right wing...but not this crusade.

Take care,

Chuck

:lmfao @ the maddox link.

If the hot coffee mod has done anything it has given Rockstar some free advertising. (which may have been their intention)

It makes me want to get the game "even more" now (but I still resist because 1: ) vice city wont play on MY xbox & 2: ) my computer doesnt meet the requirements to run it (no DVD drive and I don't think my vid card is up to par)

While it would seem it's the right wing' date=' oddly enough, the Dems are usually leading this charge.

Tipper Gore against evil rap CDs, Lieberman against videogames in the late 90's, and now Hillary.

You can pin quite a bit on the right wing...but not this crusade.

Take care,

Chuck[/quote']

IMO this is an easy target for the Dems to cater to the socially conservative right and try to get more of that critical middle vote. Since the perception is that "kids" play video games (despite the mid-20's avg gamer age that no one pays attention to) they think they can prey on this without losing votes. And I guess since young people also have a very bad turnout rate, they may be right.

Except for Lieberman, perhaps, he's always been doing the 'down on the video games' crap. I said if it came between Lieberman and Bush, I would not vote. I may intensely dislike 80% of the conservatives, Bush, and almost all of what they stand for, but don't mess with my fucking videogames, or I go waste my vote on the crazy Libertarians, at least they don't mess with people's damn civil rights. Any time both sides gang up on stupid issues like this videogame nudity, makes we wish we had a valid third party...

IMO this is an easy target for the Dems to cater to the socially conservative right and try to get more of that critical middle vote.

I agree. Hillary is gearing up for a presidential run by increasingly advocating issues that appeal to red state voters, like the GTA thing.

There are many forums for people to discuss politics; please use those for political discussions. Thanks.

Video games are an easy target for politicians and officials of any persuasion to pick on - they think, like I said, that almost all gamers are kids and that the miniscule amount of "adult" gamers are all people in that demographic doesn't vote (pretty much true).

Thus videogames are an easy target to take a stand against.

Here's a great page about video game violence someone posted on cheapassgamer, showing how violent teenager crime is actually in decline and is the lowest on record:

http://gr.bolt.com/articles/violence/violence.htm

Something must be missing. That first graph is the overall violent crime rate, and we?re talking about youth violence here. So I found the data sorted by age, and it turns out that through 2002, youth homicide actually dropped across the board, the only increase being among adults. If I may quote directly from the D.O.J. report, ?Recently, the offending rates for 14-17 year-olds reached the lowest levels ever recorded.?

The lowest levels ever recorded. In other words, the Playstation era has, in fact, produced the most non-violent kids ever. But I thought video games were training children to kill? I?m sure I read something like that ....[mutiple links]...

In an analysis of the risk factors of youth violence by the Surgeon General of the United States of America, violent media is categorized as ?Small Effect Size.? In fact, there are 27 risk factors rated higher than exposure to violent media, like socioeconomic status, academic failure, poor parent-child relations, weak social ties, and being male. Quick! Ban all the males!

:lmfao

And the thing with the Sims so-called sex and nudity - I see more provocative stuff than this when my wife makes me watch MTV, VH1, or Elimidate on TV!

last edit: Funny comic: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050725.jpg

Old Women sues over GTA:SA

Ok let me get this straight. A grandmother buys a game rated M (17 +) for her 14 year old grand son. The rating on the box even says Blood and Gore, Strong Sexual Content, Violence. So she still buys it for him. Then all of a sudden it gets upped to AO so she decided to sue. Lady GTA series has been all over the news for year. The box says 17+ and its violent. yet you bought it for him anyway. Get a grip